Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 06-08-2009, 05:03 AM

Default Hog Diver?

I hit the forks today for a couple hours and the only bite I got was from some stupid white hovering bird diving into the water again and again and trying to get away with my bait, it was amusing but annoying all in the same.. I wish fish would be that determined lol. Anyways I left the river and came back to town and stopped by a buddies, we decided we would meet at chin reservoir about 6 and we would take his boat out for a few hours. Later as I was leaving town he calls and says he is bringing a female friend, I have my gear in the car I'm on the road already.."ah screw it" I thought and decided I would try to show him up from shore. By the time I got there he was in one of my sweet spots so I cast a rig out with a couple shiner minnows on it. I was getting my butt kicked! I got 1 small walleye and my buddy and his friend were pulling them out one after another... my buddy got cocky and started mouthing about "Stupid shore fishermen" and laughed. I shrugged it off.. no big deal. Soon after his friend decides she needs a minute out of the boat away from view..potty break and my chance to get even... the minute he left the hole I casted out and landed right where his boat had been sitting. Rig hits the bottom, a 16" walleye hits the rig. Bait and cast to the same spot again, bait hits the bottom and sits for no more then 30 seconds and bang my drag chirps for a moment or two... "I got a big one on!" I shout over-zelously... lots of weight but no fight I thought.."darn its gotta be a pike"..sure enough I pull a 5 pound pike from the water and quickly release it. Bait, cast..score same spot... rig hits the bottom and my rod is almost yanked out of my unsuspecting hands. (By this time my buddy and his boat-mate are back on the water 25 feet away rods in the water giving me the evil eye for stealing the hot spot) As I fumble with the almost airborne rod a passing thought goes through my mind "pike, a real real big pike" and then I finally get a good hold on my rod and at that exact second my drag started to scream like a 2 year old in the checkout at the grocery store. A good 10 minute battle ensued..My rod bent over like a old mans back, my drag still screaming every time the hog got his head away. Finally I see a flash of white, Did I see what I thought I just did? "nah no way" I think. Then suddenly 5 feet from shore I get a good look at whats been abusing my poor reel. It is so a walleye..a nice one too. Then just 3 feet from shore disaster strikes..Walter rolls and the weights on the bottom of my rig are wedged in the rocks, unbelievably he is still on however, so I say the first thing that comes to mind..it was just one word and it sounded something like this: "HOLYSONOFAB****YOUHAVETOBE****INGKIDDINGME".
After jamming my rod into the rocks as securely as I could, I dove in. Fighting a fish while in water sucks but I managed to get my hand on him anyways.. with the other hand broke the weights off the rig. Holding the fish high above my head, as I stumbled sputtering and spitting out of the cold lake, like a man holding a trophy I was victorious. I was the champ.
At least I was till I realized I soaked both my smokes and my cell phone during my swim LOL
Anyways a picture of my trophy:

My buddy almost cried
Donavon
Old 06-08-2009, 07:18 AM

I see the bait you were using, but where is this monster fish that you said you caught?
Old 06-08-2009, 07:23 AM

Default walleye

nice fish. 7 pounds or so?
Old 06-08-2009, 08:58 AM

Great story Donovan. Nice fish too.
Old 06-08-2009, 01:31 PM

There is a thread about big bait = big fish on the forum JessePat now if my bait was just under 9 pounds then obviously my "trophy" wouldn't fit in a picture

Thanks nicemustang, He was fun to catch and provided a amusing story lol
Old 06-08-2009, 04:15 PM

Touche, Touche, ha ha. How does walleye taste anyways?
Old 06-08-2009, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JessePat View Post
Touche, Touche, ha ha. How does walleye taste anyways?
like fish? no seriously I would say its probably one of the most desirable fish in southern Alberta IMO, Its a mellow, light fleshed fish, is easily seasoned and soaks other flavors up quite readily. So if you cooked it with butter and onions those flavors would imbue into and mix with the fishes flavor. My personal favorite anyways
Donavon
Old 06-08-2009, 06:08 PM

nice eye dj. I hope I can find a few of them hogs at the tourney at travers this weekend. My biggest of the year is about 7.5lbs but I will be at newell in a couple weekends and hopefully top that by about 4.5 - 5 lbs.
Old 06-08-2009, 07:30 PM

nice fish. caught one almost that size from RHR last summer, but didnt get to eat it since its C and R only there, but I ate it in my mind LOL Hopefully the weather is half decent Thursday, still longing for my first sturgeon from the forks, now that I know where it is LOL

Shove your masks and your vaccines
Non Compliance!!!!!!
"According to Trudeau, Im an extremist who needs to be dealt with"
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

The vaccine was not brought in for COVID. COVID was brought in for the vaccine. Once you realize that, everything else makes sense.” ~ Dr. Reiner Fuellmich
Old 06-08-2009, 09:34 PM

Thumbs up

Beauty fish, better story!
Was that the most comfortable chair you could find for her?
Congratz, man!
Old 06-09-2009, 02:16 AM

Thanks nate I hope you guys do great at travers.

RHR is catch and relese Wayne? never fished there but thats good to know, and I'll try to catch ya thursday morning at the river

Its all about the story BobLoblaw..next week she might be 11 pounds:P, and no the wife would only let my take a pic on that wood chair cause its a old outside chair and she doent care if it has a slight walter smell LOL thanks for the congrats though
Old 06-09-2009, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by npauls View Post
nice eye dj. I hope I can find a few of them hogs at the tourney at travers this weekend. My biggest of the year is about 7.5lbs but I will be at newell in a couple weekends and hopefully top that by about 4.5 - 5 lbs.
Crap...you're right. I forgot about the tournament at Travers this weekend. Now where am I going to go fishing this weekend? Sigh....