Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 06-08-2009, 10:35 AM

Default Walleyes biting slow on Newell these days?

Just came back from 1 week camping at Newell, went out fishing every day trying to fill one of those walleye tags.

Got some pike (great fun), but the walleye action was really slow, not even one bite! I went to the walleye spots that were recommended by people on the forum and also talked to some locals. Locals and also local F&W officer confirmed that action is slow.

Did anyone else have the same experience?

No burbot either, btw.
Old 06-08-2009, 10:39 AM

Yep, bad time of year. Right now it will be tough fishing for another few weeks until the water warms up. But a guy should be able to find some somewhere, bottom bouncing or on ridges or something like that. But byte should be good right at dawn and dusk, so if you weren't out then you likely missed the bite.
Old 06-08-2009, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkfriend View Post
Just came back from 1 week camping at Newell, went out fishing every day trying to fill one of those walleye tags.

Got some pike (great fun), but the walleye action was really slow, not even one bite! I went to the walleye spots that were recommended by people on the forum and also talked to some locals. Locals and also local F&W officer confirmed that action is slow.

Did anyone else have the same experience?

No burbot either, btw.
I am heading there today for 5 days. How was the camping? Never camped there before, heard good and bad of the park. What were you using for the walleyes? I agree they are probably a little slow biting right now, but the water temp. is not that cold. I was marking them a couple weeks ago in the lake and noticed that they were starting to move out of the bays and into the main lake. The lake temp at that time was 51C so in three weeks it is probaly a lttle warmer right now. The key is a slow presentation. I hope I can fill at least one tag while I am there.
Old 06-08-2009, 11:03 AM

Use leeches. I find way more hits this time of year on leeches than minnows. Jig heads in green or white. Haven't been there yet, not going to make it until July this year, but that has been working for us on other walleye lakes.
Old 06-08-2009, 10:36 PM

Camping was great - our toddler loved it and people are nice. During the week its nice and quiet (also the lake), on the weekends it can be a bit busy.

The jet-ski folks on the weekends on the lake are a true pain in the @zz, especially if you only have a small boat - these jerks are trying to show their impressive idiot-skills off by coming way to close and then making donuts on the water etc. not thinking about the waves of cold water that are hitting people in the boat as a result, including small kids.

But we loved it and will go back!

My lures were jigs with 1/2 smelts as well as the scented GULP rubber leeches, both a recommendation from the guys at WSS.

The pikes took the good old 5 of diamond and floating rapalas.
Old 06-09-2009, 08:37 AM

Default Newell

Was at Newell last night shore fishing, got 3 walleye to the shore, 1- 6.8lbs 1-6.0lbs and never took much for measurements of the 3rd. Had lots of hits. Wasn't there very long, there was a nasty thunderstorm coming in maybe that helped.
Old 06-09-2009, 12:00 PM

Had a hard time finding them a few weeks ago as well. We ended up finding a bunch quite a bit shallower than we would usually fish. 6-10ft of water. Filled all our tags REALLY slow trolling a bottom bouncer with silver blades tipped with worms.
Old 06-09-2009, 05:09 PM

Default Walleye

Lindy rigs and leechs
Very very slow.