Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 06-13-2009, 02:07 PM

Default Anyone been to Christina lake lodge?

Hello, I finally get some time off in the next 2 weeks and I was told of Christina lake lodge, http://www.christinalakelodge.com/ and was wondering if anyone has been there and what its like with fishing ect. Any help is greatly appreciated and if I can ever help with fishing experience around the canmore/exshaw area I'll be glad to anytime.
Old 06-14-2009, 12:31 AM

I was there last summer(end of july). for four days with my family. I will never go back to that lodge and made it very clear and they didn't even care. It was very clear they cater to the oil field. and could care a less about sport fishermen and families. I was up there with my grandmother, mom and dad, wife, child and brother, so it's not like we were partying or causing problems. If I can remember right the peolpe started running the lodge last year and turned a nice place to stay on a beautiful lake into a very expensive money grab catering to the oil field.

Other then managment, the place was alright. We rented a cabin beside the lodge that had a little kitchen, four bedrooms and running water for showering and washing dishes. The deck was over looking the lake with a bug screen around it.

The boat lunch was in good shape for bigger boats and has a nice peere.

If you bring your dog long be perpared to pay thrity dollars a day for him as well. If they can come up with a charge for something you can bet they will.

It really is to bad because it's a nice place.
Old 06-14-2009, 07:58 PM

i was there a couple years ago very nice place good fishing. i stayed in the same cabin next to the lodge everything u need and more.

its too bad if theres new management and there housing all the oil workers

i know friends who have been trying to get seasonal campsite there on the waiting list 2 - 3 years now they all love it there.

but who knows maybe its gone all too sh1T with the new owners
Old 06-17-2009, 07:51 PM

Yea that sucks, I looked at the prices and compared what they charged to how much a nice weekend in BC for some monster fish and I am leaning towards BC. I hate when buisnesses get really cheap and 2 of my friends have a dog n they will definatly not wanna go now lol. My mom told me of the place cause she works there with the oil company there and she doesnt fish so I thought I'd ask here n glad I did. Ty for the info.
Old 06-17-2009, 10:20 PM

Stay away from there. They are money grabbin type and were rude on the phone over my crew wanting to rent boats for a couple hours after work....
Old 06-17-2009, 11:11 PM

PTI Camp services which is a division of Halibuton now owns Christina Lake Lodge. It is now completely geared to oil field workers and the prices and the service have completely gone mental. Very rude and non-accomidating for families and fishermen. The lake has huge walleye, up to 9lbs plus, but has a naturally high mercury content. Another option about 40kms north is winefred lake lodge. This used to be a trophy lake and has 10lb + walleye and 20lb+ pike. www.winefredlakelodge.com
Old 06-18-2009, 09:16 AM

Is there any other places to camp around Christina Lake? What about boat launches? I am thinking about making a trip up that way this summer to spend a few days fishing a few of the lakes around there (Christina, Winefred, Grist, etc). What about random camping, does anyone know of a good place at anyone of the mentioned lakes? Any info would be greatly appreciated.
Old 06-18-2009, 09:48 AM

There is a campsite at Christina Lake, a short way past the lodge. I have never used it, but I was told that it was not a bad spot, a decent beach and a good boat launch. If that doesn't meet your objectives, people camp on the side of the airstrip between Grist & Winefred. Instead of taking the left turn into Winefred, carry on toward Grist and you will come to the airstrip. There is a hard sand beach at the airstrip on Grist to launch your boat. I do not know if they still charge to launch at Winefred under the new management, but there is a good launch there.
Old 06-19-2009, 11:17 AM

Cool, thanks for the info.
Old 06-19-2009, 11:37 AM

Better watch it everybody talks down about lake lodges there will be none left to go to in alberta..."see fishing hole 2 thread" BS.
Old 06-19-2009, 01:15 PM

It's the at Moderators discretion whether or not to close a thread for whatever reason they want. If you don't respect that, then start your own site up and have a pity party.
Old 06-20-2009, 10:08 AM

One of the guys that owned it before the new guys took over is a brother of one of my good friends. The place had class cause it was run by a family and they cared about how people were treated there, even the oilpatch guys. They gave some of my co-workers the nicest cabin in the place for next to nothing for filling their camp up a few yrs back. They also had great chefs there and they subbed out some of their guys to a small oil camp up the road and the guys there never ate so good.
Since selling the place it has gone downhill. Nothing but complaints, but that is why there is so many oil camps going up now around there, no one wants to stay at the place anymore cause the rates have sky rocketed and the service has started to lack something.
Either way, the fishing is great there, but you can not keep any of the walleye out of the lake due to the mercury levels.
Someone else commented on Winefred Lake. It is great still, good people and great fishing. It is also only another hr past on a good dirt road from Christina.