Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 06-28-2009, 08:08 PM

Default Blown off Newell

I drove two hours to Newell lake today just to get blown off. I have never fished Newell before and I have two class A walleye tags to fill. There was 5' swells and we had quite a time in my 14' aluminum boat even the seagulls were grounded. I did not see much for wind brakes is it that windy very often at Newell? I did not fill my walleye tags today so I'm going to make another trip. We did however pick up three OK pike.
Old 06-28-2009, 08:37 PM

All I can say is that check the weather network first. Was going to go today too and saw that the wind was supposed to be blowing hard, so did not go. Good rule of thumb is to get there early because it usually is not to bad early. But that sometimes is proven false too. Newell is a great fishery and lake that needs to be respected. Hope next time is alot better for you.
Old 06-28-2009, 09:19 PM

Yes Newell was crazy ugly today. I got on the water at 8:30, 9:30 there was forsure 4, maybe 5 foot swells. Fishing was preety good on north end from all the turbelence, wind from the south. Had to fish the long bay by the marina for a few hours till the wind settled down. Was that you in that bay wearing the yellow rain suit?
Old 06-28-2009, 09:26 PM

Yes, but by the time I put the rain suit on it was too late.
Old 06-28-2009, 11:09 PM

A good site that I use all the time is this: http://www.ama.ab.ca/road_report/cam...tm?link=tabnav
Gives you the wind and temps...

The only difference between a taxidermist and the taxman, is that the taxidermist leaves the skin...
Old 06-29-2009, 11:24 PM

At least you didn't bring a new kayak for her maiden voyage...
My wife and I hit Badger yesterday only to find 4 foot white caps. Thought better of it and stopped at McGreggor instead. No white caps there but still quite a work out when paddling into the wind!

My wife and I only caught 2 small pike but i have to say I'm already hooked on the yak!