Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 01-12-2017, 04:58 PM

Default on lake survey

l would like to see another on lake survey like they did when the limits change and number of holes you could fish changed Back then 20-30 trucks on the ice and still everyone cought something. lam guessing they will see either no one fishing or a slim percentage of the past and then they should question why ( the commercial netting they finally shut collupused the stock)which they did on the weekend .
Old 01-12-2017, 05:12 PM
Banned

The netting is still out of control.
Old 01-12-2017, 05:29 PM

l think in the south its closed
Old 01-12-2017, 11:31 PM

the fishing is better than ever down south, for me at least, never caught 30 pike in a day before, and big numbers seem to be the norm this winter. and big fish. maybe you just arent doing it right?

Shove your masks and your vaccines
Non Compliance!!!!!!
"According to Trudeau, Im an extremist who needs to be dealt with"
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

The vaccine was not brought in for COVID. COVID was brought in for the vaccine. Once you realize that, everything else makes sense.” ~ Dr. Reiner Fuellmich
Old 01-12-2017, 11:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneChristie View Post
the fishing is better than ever down south, for me at least, never caught 30 pike in a day before, and big numbers seem to be the norm this winter. and big fish. maybe you just arent doing it right?
I'm with you Wayne. Having my best season ever with my personal best walleye out of Travers and personal best Whitefish out of McGregor. Catch numbers are up for me, I've yet to have a skunk day on McG where as two years ago it was common. Perch on the other hand is a whole other story. I have yet see a keeper yet this year.
Old 01-13-2017, 07:37 AM

OK maybe the taber lakes are short of pike. Before one hole and a jig with a piece of smelt would produce 20 pike in 2.5 feet of water and so far with 2holes and 25yrs of relaying on the natural dying fish method of jigging is a waste of time.
Old 01-13-2017, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by livinstone View Post
OK maybe the taber lakes are short of pike. Before one hole and a jig with a piece of smelt would produce 20 pike in 2.5 feet of water and so far with 2holes and 25yrs of relaying on the natural dying fish method of jigging is a waste of time.
try deeper. even those lakes have some holes, Ive been having most of my luck between 8 and 12 feet deep. I always keep a jig and smelt handy, when a pike too small for my big bait starts sniffing around I take it out and tease it with the smelt, and catch at least 90% of them. saves on the more expensive baits too. if they wont take it when you are jigging it just let it sit. . a camera makes it a whole lot easier to see their reactions too, but at those depths you can usually see them without one. maybe theyve learned a few things over the 25 years too

Shove your masks and your vaccines
Non Compliance!!!!!!
"According to Trudeau, Im an extremist who needs to be dealt with"
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

The vaccine was not brought in for COVID. COVID was brought in for the vaccine. Once you realize that, everything else makes sense.” ~ Dr. Reiner Fuellmich
Old 01-13-2017, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil69 View Post
I'm with you Wayne. Having my best season ever with my personal best walleye out of Travers and personal best Whitefish out of McGregor. Catch numbers are up for me, I've yet to have a skunk day on McG where as two years ago it was common. Perch on the other hand is a whole other story. I have yet see a keeper yet this year.
Nice to hear Wayne and Evil. Congrats!

Let the doom and gloom preppers focus on that and catch lots in the meantime
Old 01-13-2017, 08:50 AM

Teaseing is what lam doing with either smelts or sound lures and lam trying the canal depths and drop offs.