Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 07-16-2009, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal View Post
I'm sounding like a snobish A-hole.
If you think you're sounding that way you probably are. Has it ever occurred to you that not everyone has money to throw around like an oilfield consultant? Not everyone likes the idea of working 16 hour days just so they can have a brand new truck and 3000 sq ft house that they don't sleep in. Take your over sized pay check, divide by 4 and live on it.
Old 07-16-2009, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chet View Post
The anti's that spend there $3 bucks / application may think they are saving animals but I believe SRD does their allocations based on harvest % which would effectively make their plan backfire. If SRD wants 200 Mule Deer harvested in a particular WMU, they will make sure they give out enough tags so the hunter success rates = as close to 200 Mule Deer as possible. Thanks for the $3 to all the wanna-be activists, true conservationists will put it to good use.
Thats my thoughts on it as well. SRD will increase tags if the harvest rate isnt being achieved. Its kinda like they are working FOR us by doing it....lol
Old 07-17-2009, 05:56 PM

A simple solution would be to track all licenses that aren't purchased after being drawn,then if the same person does this three times,that person is suspended from taking part in the draws,until they pay for all of the tags that they never purchased.
Old 07-17-2009, 08:05 PM

Default wasted tags

I would be in favor of a system where a deadline is in place for the purchase of the tag. If not purchased by said deadline, the tag is forfeited to the next applicant and the priority lost. It is unfortunate that so many tags are wasted year to year, and it does make it hard for Fish and Wildlife to manage the resource/meet quotas.
Incidently, the stats on last year's buffalo draw:
-61 tags purchased; 54 animals registered, out of 100 recreational tags alloted!
For example, the season starts January 1st. If by midnight of opening day, the tags have not been purchased, they go back into the draw format for someone else to have the opportunity to hunt. If you cannot afford the cost of the tag by this deadline, it is likely you cant afford the hunt. We still need to manage the resource and although its likely short notice for anyone, at least a few will have the opportunity.
Old 07-17-2009, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rackmastr View Post
Thats my thoughts on it as well. SRD will increase tags if the harvest rate isnt being achieved. Its kinda like they are working FOR us by doing it....lol
X2