Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 07-14-2009, 09:28 PM

Talking Bison draw

I got the Bison draw this year and I'm looking for advice from others who were up there last year. Advice would be greatly taken in.
Old 07-14-2009, 11:24 PM

Contact the local F&W office in High Level. They will be more than happy to help you out. From the stories told on here last winter they were very helpful to all the people that had tags.

You can also do a search under the "hunting" section for Bison. There were a half a dozen board members that hunted them. Some great stories and tips in there.

www.dmoa.ca

Pro Staff member for:
Benelli, Sako, Beretta, Tikka, Franchi, Burris, & Steiner
Old 07-15-2009, 09:05 AM

we all hate you!!
"I find it amazing that we, as a society, find it so easy to view the perpetrators of crime with an understanding and knowing that they are suffering from the frailties of being a human being yet we cannot seem to extend that same courtesy to the very people we ask to face, on a daily basis, the worst that mankind has to offer."
-Dave (Whiskey Wish)-
Old 07-15-2009, 10:55 AM

You lucky b@st@rd! I don't hate you....I'm just jealous of you.

"This Brittany is my most cherished possession — the darndest bird-finder I have ever seen, a tough and wiry little dog with a choke-bored nose and the ability to read birds’ minds." -Jack O'Connor
Old 07-15-2009, 11:51 AM

congrats. I can tell you from living here that you best dress warm, -40 isnt unusual. Be prepared to spend lots of time looking this year, they are not as brave as they were this time last year. I have seen lots of animals in the no hunting area, but other than that they are learnign to stay hidden a little bit. Not sure what you are going to bring for a rig, but you will want to bring something that has a winch to pull that brute out of the swamp if that is where you knock him down. If you need help let me know, i live right in high level and would love to pitch in.
Old 07-15-2009, 08:00 PM

Talking

Thanks to all of you who have responed. The more advice the better.
Old 07-15-2009, 09:05 PM

Thumbs up advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by dale7637 View Post
congrats. I can tell you from living here that you best dress warm, -40 isnt unusual. Be prepared to spend lots of time looking this year, they are not as brave as they were this time last year. I have seen lots of animals in the no hunting area, but other than that they are learnign to stay hidden a little bit. Not sure what you are going to bring for a rig, but you will want to bring something that has a winch to pull that brute out of the swamp if that is where you knock him down. If you need help let me know, i live right in high level and would love to pitch in.
thanks for the advice and the offer we well have to see as time goes by.
Old 07-16-2009, 10:24 AM

Have a good snowmobile handy, hang around the gas stations, bars/restarants, etc in Zama and talk to everyone working up there to see what areas guys are seeing them when they go to work. Try to get your hands on a road map of the area so you know where the hell your going up there. Those roads twist and turn alot and a guy can get confused pretty easily. Book a room in a camp right in Zama, that way you won't have to drive from High Level every morning to get out to your hunting area. 2minutes outside Zama and you can be into the buffs, plus your saving that much more on your fuel. Hope that helps.
Old 07-16-2009, 04:43 PM

an acquaintance of mine who was drawn last year did exactly that...talked with people at the gas station in ZAMA and found out where they were, drove to the spot and shot one, then waited for 2.5 hours until the herd moved off the carcass...basically until the ravens were settling in...pretty protective animal is what I've been told...then a truck with some type of picker drove up and helped him load it...best of luck to you
Old 07-16-2009, 08:53 PM

Thumbs up

SEND ME MORE MORE MORE HAHAHA!!! THE MORE THE BETTER!
I have started googling on the net about Zama City and area but not much on the net about things way up there. The more intel from people about the area and hunting up there will be music to my ears.
Old 07-16-2009, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by camoman View Post
SEND ME MORE MORE MORE HAHAHA!!! THE MORE THE BETTER!
I have started googling on the net about Zama City and area but not much on the net about things way up there. The more intel from people about the area and hunting up there will be music to my ears.
Yep there are about 80 some different stories to go with the Bison that were taken we stopped in Zama asked around and got depresed nope no Bison in 2 weeks Headed west of town 3.5 KM and Dropped a lone Bull 109 and change 6 inches shy of the book. High level Fish and Wildlife will bend over backwards for you man the one fellow apologised for not being able to come help us load the animal which was fine as we had a Kenny and Picker do it for us Like I said we will help in anyway we can feel free as with a host of others on this forum.

Old 07-16-2009, 09:29 PM

One of the better camps is the Noralta Inn. I used to work east of Zama, and I would see 2 different herds every morning. about 12 miles east on the main road from Zama. Not sure if this is in your zone or not.
Old 07-16-2009, 10:02 PM

Wicked video! What caliber?
Old 07-17-2009, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustynailz View Post
Wicked video! What caliber?
300 wsm 180 gr Barnes TSX
Old 07-20-2009, 11:55 AM

Cool video, definately neat to see. I would highly recommend trying to talk to some of the operators in the area, and see if they could get you a copy of a road map for the area. If your staying right in Zama, its easy enough to just drive around till you find a buff, but not knowing where to go up there can cause you alot of grief. And some well sites you just don't want to be anywhere close to (extreme sour gas).
Old 07-20-2009, 12:21 PM

Nice video And Nice bull
Old 07-20-2009, 01:16 PM

Default buff advice

i got drawn up there last year and got a good one. pm me and i'll send you a wicked map of the area,my buddy works there year round.
Old 07-20-2009, 01:23 PM

Default buff advice

the f+w officer up there is Lyle Fullerton, very knowledgeable and very helpful, i listened to him,took his advice and killed a bull just under 120 , he is based out of fort vermillion.
Old 07-20-2009, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crittergitter View Post
the f+w officer up there is Lyle Fullerton, very knowledgeable and very helpful, i listened to him,took his advice and killed a bull just under 120 , he is based out of fort vermillion.
Exactly Lyle is awsome but not always there. The whole staff was great Lyle emailed us info and told Chris and Jackie that we would be in they had everything ready to help us to the best of thier ability they give all F&W a good name!!!
Old 07-20-2009, 05:37 PM

For your guys that took older bulls last year how was the meat? I saw a couple of old posts on meat being cut within a few days of getting home. What turned out the best for you. Hanging 14 or 21 days or all into burger?
Old 07-20-2009, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 Tollers View Post
For your guys that took older bulls last year how was the meat? I saw a couple of old posts on meat being cut within a few days of getting home. What turned out the best for you. Hanging 14 or 21 days or all into burger?
I had heard some of the guys that shot bulls "won't name names" said it was dog food even the burger was "like eraser tip off pencils" As for Da Jimmers it is nice meat Hung 21 days but I would hang it at a warmer temp we were too cold to get true aging, regardless the meat is nice steaks are tender and burger patties mmmgoooood, the F&W put Addisons bull at 8/9 years of age.

Note: we had the Hide off in less than 2 hrs and the guts out and meat cooling nice. That has to be the priority IMO. They heat up fast and that won't help the meat.
Old 07-20-2009, 07:58 PM

Thanks. Sounds like the 8/9 yr old bull is a nice representation, a good size and good eating. I would be interested in knowing the comparision on a old bull moose to an old bull bison. I have had good large bull moose (aged at 12/13 years) --- is this possible with a old bull buff or are they just a tough old animal and basically a trophy hunt?

Last edited by 2 Tollers; 07-21-2009 at 08:23 AM.