Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 06-14-2017, 01:11 PM

Default Garmin has the worst customer service

Just an FYI if you're looking at a GARMIN product....Have an older GARMIN RINO that I've always looked after. Stopped working recently and took it into GPS central to update the hardware to find out GARMIN just "stopped supporting it.... Contacted GARMIN directly and they were kind enough to let me know that the best course of action would be to go buy a new one....... I'll be looking for another brand next time, and not even InReach as GARMIN just bought them.
Old 06-14-2017, 01:17 PM

I'm curious how long you think a company should support a product, especially in technology.

Just as an example, Microsoft does not support Windows XP any longer.

Cheers
Old 06-14-2017, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wags View Post
I'm curious how long you think a company should support a product, especially in technology.

Just as an example, Microsoft does not support Windows XP any longer.

Cheers
I'd agree with that, surely even outside your 1 year warranty they wouldn't do anything for you ? Never mind being a discontinued model

I have a Magellan and hate it, I'ved used Garmins at work and loved them
Old 06-14-2017, 02:44 PM

You don't buy technology you only rent

Software programs are the worst 5 years and they are done.
Old 06-14-2017, 04:12 PM

My Garmin Rino 120 is well over 10 years old, I wouldn't expect Garmin to still support it's software since they haven't sold that model for several years.
Old 06-14-2017, 04:19 PM
Gone Hunting

Not only software or tech stuff.

I went into UFA looking for some metal parts for a waterer. As is par, they had none.

No big deal, please order one. !5 minutes later no can do, no longer make parts for that waterer.

Ok, but you are still selling that waterer?
Yep.
We have some here now.
Clearout priced I guess?
Nope.
Can you get parts for them?
The stare...........nope.

$550 for an obsolete waterer. Heckuva deal.

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand
Old 06-14-2017, 05:04 PM

If you think Garmin has issues, when I'm done dealing with Humminbird I will take an hour and outline the problem, learning's and their solution. It was a Helix 5 that ended up with a faulty transducer from the factory / China, and other issues.

I did find out from GPS central yesterday that there is no data base for our Ab. and Sask. (that's where I fish) with "good" lake maps c/w Bathaspheric (spell) data.

So how can Google earth look at my house street etc., Alta. Gov. has published depths, surveys etc. for local lakes, it's all available digitally, and no one has that data on their Sounder or a chip that I can install??
Old 06-14-2017, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hindsight View Post
I'd agree with that, surely even outside your 1 year warranty they wouldn't do anything for you ? Never mind being a discontinued model

I have a Magellan and hate it, I'ved used Garmins at work and loved them
I have a Magellan and has been great for me.....
Old 06-14-2017, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highlander44 View Post
Just an FYI if you're looking at a GARMIN product....Have an older GARMIN RINO that I've always looked after. Stopped working recently and took it into GPS central to update the hardware to find out GARMIN just "stopped supporting it.... Contacted GARMIN directly and they were kind enough to let me know that the best course of action would be to go buy a new one....... I'll be looking for another brand next time, and not even InReach as GARMIN just bought them.
This is false. Garmin's service is next to none as long as a product is still covered under warranty. I've owned several Garmin products over 20+ years and between Garmin and GPS Central I've always been completely satisfied.

That being said, last year I bought a used vehicle with a Garmin Montana 650 that was no longer in production. Due to my error, I left the GPS outside overnight and it got soaked by rain and stopped working. A quick trip into GPS Central and they gave me the contact info for Raytech GPS repair https://www.raytech.ca/en/services/repair_service.asp?

A quick phone call and explanation to Raytech and my GPS unit was in the mail for replacement with a fully refurbished unit. I saved over $500 getting the refurbished GPS as opposed to buying the newer Montana 680.

Highlander, give Raytech a call and see if they can help you out.

J.
Old 06-14-2017, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinhits View Post
I have a Magellan and has been great for me.....
I've owned my share of Magellan units too; I just prefer the Garmin's....

J.
Old 06-14-2017, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcrayford View Post
I've owned my share of Magellan units too; I just prefer the Garmin's....

J.

Old 06-14-2017, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcrayford View Post
This is false. Garmin's service is next to none as long as a product is still covered under warranty. I've owned several Garmin products over 20+ years and between Garmin and GPS Central I've always been completely satisfied.

That being said, last year I bought a used vehicle with a Garmin Montana 650 that was no longer in production. Due to my error, I left the GPS outside overnight and it got soaked by rain and stopped working. A quick trip into GPS Central and they gave me the contact info for Raytech GPS repair https://www.raytech.ca/en/services/repair_service.asp?

A quick phone call and explanation to Raytech and my GPS unit was in the mail for replacement with a fully refurbished unit. I saved over $500 getting the refurbished GPS as opposed to buying the newer Montana 680.

Highlander, give Raytech a call and see if they can help you out.

J.
Thanks for the info- I will try Ray-tech. I still don't believe I'm false about GARMIN "s service. For such a simple hardware issue (no physical damage) it would be easy for them to ask for the unit to be shipped to them, and probably wouldn't cost them anything to program it- and everyone would be happy. I've dealt with electronics companies such as RCBS that operate this way and create a customer following because of it. I've probably owned 5 or 6 different GARMIN 'a over the years, but I wouldn't spend another cent on their products.......
Old 06-14-2017, 10:08 PM

My Magellan was a lemon, it was not made to handle below freezing temps. When the programming got wiped, the tech support was the worst, "push these buttons, still doesn't work? buy a new one!" I told them take a flying leap. A few hours on the internet and I found a site that helped me reprogram it and got it working. Second time I forgot the Magellan in the truck overnight, totally shot, no reprogramming. I have had 4 Garmins since, I can leave them in the truck all winter, and the only one that has quit working was the one where the suction cup failed and it fell and cracked the screen. I can't comment on the Garmin service due to great success with those units, but the Magellan was one of the worst I have had to deal with.
Old 06-14-2017, 10:36 PM
Banned

So how is it bad service when something ancient is out of time? God ppl will complain about anything these days
Old 06-15-2017, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highlander44 View Post
Thanks for the info- I will try Ray-tech. I still don't believe I'm false about GARMIN "s service. For such a simple hardware issue (no physical damage) it would be easy for them to ask for the unit to be shipped to them, and probably wouldn't cost them anything to program it- and everyone would be happy. I've dealt with electronics companies such as RCBS that operate this way and create a customer following because of it. I've probably owned 5 or 6 different GARMIN 'a over the years, but I wouldn't spend another cent on their products.......
The problem I had with my Montana wasn't software related; the actual device had condensation inside and I know that isn't kind on electronics.

The deal with Raytech was more like a battery core charge.... When you send your old unit in, they send you out a refurbished (completely operational, just no new box smell) unit for a small percentage of a new replacement unit.

If I recall correctly, when I priced out a new Montana 680 at +/- $700, Raytech charged me about $200 for the refurbished Montana 650. The major difference between the 650 and 680? The 680 has a slightly higher resolution camera... But I'm interested in the GPS, not the camera...

I've seen all brands of handheld GPS units through private life and work life (Garmin, Tom Tom, Magellan, etc). Garmins (IMHO) are the best. Almost bullet proof if you take a little bit of care. My personal hunting GPS is a really old eTrex Vista CX, color screen, 2 AA that run forever, digital compass, Micro SD with custom maps loaded. It's still going after purchasing it over 15 years ago and the only thing I have done is re-apply the silicone sealant around the rubber casing to keep it waterproof (old glue came off).

I currently own 6 different Garmin GPSs. They all have their own unique functions. You couldn't pry those things out of my hands for any other brand - there is no comparison in my opinion.

J.
Old 06-15-2017, 07:32 AM

Have had Garmin since GPS's first came out to the public I've also used ray tech and bought a refurbished one from them have had that one for about 7-8 years now

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

Tags
broke, garmin, gps