Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 09-15-2017, 12:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bub View Post
A buddy lost an elk a couple of days ago with an arrow in it. Still can't find him. Good hit and everything from what I hear, but the guy just took off and disappeared.
I wouldn't call it a good hit if it got away.
Old 09-17-2017, 12:43 AM

Yesterday was exciting. As we were leaving with 10-15 left to hunt, a good bull came out of nowhere, we ducked and called. He ran straight at us and then turned to go around and downwind. Whatever we tried, he was better than us this time around and made us. We exchanged a couple of bugles and away he went. It was too late to take the guy anyway, in my opinion. It was pretty quite for a couple of hours before that though.

Also here is a close-up photo of the mama bear with her two fairly grown-up cubs I talked about in my previous post.

Old 09-17-2017, 10:23 AM

They were avoiding the bows, but it is much harder to avoid a gun!

Attached Images
File Type: jpg elk.jpg (61.3 KB, 1209 views)
Old 09-17-2017, 10:30 AM

Good stuff guys, this is refreshing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bganz View Post
Beautiful pictures! Went scouting again for my first Mule buck today 406 but everywhere I try to find a new area I'm greeted with a private property gate. Only public land area I can get into that I figure won't be completely flooded with people begins after a 3km hike straight uphill. I was also looking for grouse today and found 5 ruffies but I rushed the shot with the 22 and grazed it. Brought a feather home to show the girlfriend I wasn't a liar haha. Wasn't very filling... want to get out for some waterfowl sometime soon too! I'm really starting to love fall
There is almost no private land in 406, just a couple of sections way back up the Sheep which would take walking through miles of public land to access.....

"to identify very rare, scarce or special forms of fish and wildlife outdoor recreation opportunities and to ensure that access to these opportunities continues to be available to all Albertans."
Old 09-17-2017, 01:03 PM

Thanks for sharing the amazing pictures.
Old 09-17-2017, 06:58 PM

Last couple days of archery season have been nothing but exciting

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-17-2017, 11:05 PM

^ Cool stuff! Did you get them?
Old 09-17-2017, 11:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishnguy View Post
They were avoiding the bows, but it is much harder to avoid a gun!
Now that I have some time, I will add to this a little bit even though there isn't much to add, really.

My cousin left early in the morning. I could not have joined him then, so I joined a little later. He called in this guy a few minutes after he had gotten there. The bull was coming, but then my cousin heard some weird-sounding calls from somewhere and the bull took off. A couple of hunters showed up a few minutes later, presumably chasing the same bull.

Sometime later, after moving on (for about a mile), this bull was called in with one bugle and a few cow calls. He came screaming and running until he was put down at about 40 yards away.

I would like to express our appreciation to the leaseholder. Farmer and rancher Al (no, it is not his real name) is a stand-up guy who gave us permission to walk through his lease numerous times this season, first with bows and now with guns, with plenty of cattle out on the field. Moreover, he came and helped us recover the animal out of the bush and got it delivered right to the truck. This was our first experience dealing with a leaseholder and it has been nothing but pleasant. So hats' of to the guy. I do hope that the leaseholders y'all deal with turn out to be stand-up guys like Al.

One down, a couple more to go in our group. Others will be taken elsewhere. More to come, I guess.
Old 09-18-2017, 10:03 AM

Been seeing tons of bear and some deer nothing worth shooting tho
Old 09-18-2017, 11:26 PM

Another bull elk down today in our group. No pictures today. Not that many care anyways

I was not part of that hunt. Instead I went looking for my cow today. I actually got three of them out of the bush and up on the field. One was almost as big as a decent bull, one an average cow and another young one, fairly small in size. There was about 20 minutes left to hunt and I decided to let all of them go, since I was alone and it would be my first elk (well, first I shoot myself). That's more like an excuse though. The real reason is that my wife is due in about a week and I just don't think it is a good idea putting an animal down and then receiving the call with no one to take care of the rest of the job; not that I would want to put anything like this on anyone. So yes, to be honest, I have no idea why go in the first place

Overall, man, was it a nice evening. The wind was perfect! Supper quite, you could hear your call travel the distance down the river valley and then coming back to you echoing from another hill or something. Amazing really. I do not recall experiencing this type of conditions before. And it did produce much better than usually. Bulls bugling from both directions (to the left and to the right of me are two river valleys). One bull was going particularly out of his mind and was closing in. Then his screaming stopped, but others were still responding. I hung around watching the cows and a spike (which showed up out of nowhere and joined the cows) well until dark and went home. When I was walking to my vehicle, I scared another elk about 50 yards (probably less) behind and to the left of me. I haven't seen him, but I heard him galloping away. I am wondering if it was the bull whose screaming stopped as he was closing in.

Anyway, it was a great evening and quite an experience in terms of how the sound traveled today. Good times. Hope y'all are having great days as well!
Old 09-23-2017, 10:45 PM

Quote:
The real reason is that my wife is due in about a week
Today is the due date but the baby is keeping tight so far. Our first was born on the due date. Will see what the second one does.

On that note, I made another trip to the field where I am planning to take a cow elk later on (it is only a five-minute drive from home) . I got there just before sunset and walked to one of the bales and stood behind it. Pretty much right away I heard a bugle, a really bad one, and then another one and another. I would say about three bugles per minute and cow calls in between. Obviously no elk around or sound of such. I hope whoever was doing that will settle down or move on. It isn't going to work for either of us if it is to continue. It was coming from the neighbouring field; I saw a tree stand there when I was scouting this spring and I am pretty sure that is where it was coming from. Sucks.

The fun thing was that I got to watch young mule deer playing around and chasing each other, regardless of these ugly calls (they did not seem to mind or probably got used to it since the guy was going non-stop). The best part was when two of the little ones were chasing each other and at one point they ran towards the bale I was standing behind, one to the right side of the bale and the other to the left. Once they passed the bale, they stopped a couple of meters (literally) from me and just stood there and stared at me for quite a while. Then one of them walked to the mommy, but the other kept staring for a few seconds longer. I could reach him with my hand, that is how close the little dude was. He ran off to the rest of his crew and they all walked away. I love these types of encounters. Good evening.

Hope you all are doing well!
Old 09-24-2017, 07:29 AM
Banned

Quote:
Today is the due date but the baby is keeping tight so far. Our first was born on the due date. Will see what the second one does.

On that note, I made another trip to the field where I am planning to take a cow elk later on (it is only a five-minute drive from home) . I got there just before sunset and walked to one of the bales and stood behind it. Pretty much right away I heard a bugle, a really bad one, and then another one and another. I would say about three bugles per minute and cow calls in between. Obviously no elk around or sound of such. I hope whoever was doing that will settle down or move on. It isn't going to work for either of us if it is to continue. It was coming from the neighbouring field; I saw a tree stand there when I was scouting this spring and I am pretty sure that is where it was coming from. Sucks.

The fun thing was that I got to watch young mule deer playing around and chasing each other, regardless of these ugly calls (they did not seem to mind or probably got used to it since the guy was going non-stop). The best part was when two of the little ones were chasing each other and at one point they ran towards the bale I was standing behind, one to the right side of the bale and the other to the left. Once they passed the bale, they stopped a couple of meters (literally) from me and just stood there and stared at me for quite a while. Then one of them walked to the mommy, but the other kept staring for a few seconds longer. I could reach him with my hand, that is how close the little dude was. He ran off to the rest of his crew and they all walked away. I love these types of encounters. Good evening.

Hope you all are doing well!
Never going to get an elk if you don't try only way to get better at calling is to go for it maybe find the hunter and give him a few pointers at calling
Old 09-24-2017, 11:28 AM

I thought about it. I also, however, thought about getting shot, to be honest, if I came out in the open. It was getting to that time of the day when some people start pointing their guns at anything and everything in spite of not being able to see squat. Thus, I chose to stay behind the bale and just enjoy the view way past the legal shooting time.
Old 09-25-2017, 10:14 AM
Banned

For us it has been a great year so far. Right from early spring when we harvested our limit of Tom Turkeys. Then it was the best year in memory for Morel Mushrooms. Plenty of pheasants, grouse and migratory already. Even with that huge access ban we have still managed to harvest a bear, an elk a moose, and some deer. And the season is still early.
So far, a great season.
Old 09-26-2017, 06:20 PM

Quote:
According to the doctor, I could a be a dad to a second daughter in a couple of hours!

Edit: Wish I could take a nap right about now
Old 09-26-2017, 07:02 PM

best of luck fishnguy and family!
Old 09-26-2017, 07:05 PM

As far as myself, i have been out 3 times for sheep. nothing else yet. I finally got on a ram last weekend and had to walk away. Watched him for almost 2 hours between 40-100yds. Too close to call. It will happen..
Old 09-26-2017, 07:14 PM

Two trophy antelope tags filled...onto a bull moose tag Friday...
Old 09-26-2017, 08:01 PM

Going great for me so far. Had 11 days in the Willmore and was able to get my first ram in 9 . Unfortunately I probably won't be out again until November for elk/whitetail.

Old 09-26-2017, 08:14 PM

Nice ram,
Old 09-27-2017, 03:02 PM

Quote:
According to the doctor, I could a be a dad to a second daughter in a couple of hours!
Edit: Wish I could take a nap right about now
The two hours turned into nine and a half, making it twenty five in total. But a baby girl was born at 3:45 AM, weighing 3.7 kg or 8 lb 3 oz!
Quote:
Originally Posted by peakseeker View Post
best of luck fishnguy and family!
Thank you peakseeker!
Good luck with your sheep hunt, hope you connect with a good one!
Old 09-27-2017, 03:03 PM

Awesome, congratulations!

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk
Old 09-27-2017, 07:48 PM

Big congrats, fishnguy! Sounds like a lot of women in your house now

Nice sheep, lgalberta!

Good stuff everyone else.

I have been busy for my own stuff, but was a part of a successful elk hunt, a very good 6x6 bull. I also helped a new guy to put down a mule doe a couple of days ago.
Old 09-28-2017, 02:26 PM

All these pics are making me anxious to get out there. Maybe a grouse hunt next week.
Old 09-28-2017, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterman73 View Post
All these pics are making me anxious to get out there. Maybe a grouse hunt next week.
Same here! Looking forward to the annual "take the nephews and my boys out hunting for grouse" weekend tomorrow.
Old 10-01-2017, 03:25 AM

Today I left the newborn daughter and my three-year-old with the wife and parents-in-law and drove out for a walk, while tagging along my sister-in-law. We do not really get along that well with the sis-in-law, but I figured why the hell not. I guess it would be enough said that she is a vegetarian and anti many things I do

Anyway, I packed the .22 and the 12 gauge with me hoping to show her that shooting can be a lot of fun. She had never held a gun in her hands before or had seen one up close for that matter. She had no idea that guns are even present in the vehicle when we went out.

Long story short, while driving, we talked about guns and hunting and whatnot. We have also seen four moose on the way and she was repulsed by me saying that they are good eating. When we have gotten where we were going, I said that we can just hike or we can grab the .22 with us and shoot some sh*t on the way. She said as long as we do not shoot anything live, she would be fine with it. Not bad of a start, I thought. So we went.

I will not be surprised if many here recognize the area and I was I actually very surprised there weren't any hunters around.

So we walked down a bit to a good spot to shoot and I set up the three beer cans I found on the way and three target print outs I had in the vehicle. I explained the basic gun safety to her and she seemed to grasp it pretty well. She was actually the first "new to guns" person that I have been shooting with who pressed the safety button every time she was done shooting. She actually did alright shooting wise as well. Except for the fact that after firing the first ten shots she, in excitement, just laid the gun down to the sand while jumping and saying let's go check the targets. I was a little WTF type of outraged, picked up the gun and cleaned it and it turned to be not a big deal.

Once we were done, I drove to another spot, mainly to see what is going on there, but also hoping to pick some cranberries. While driving, I asked her if she is ready to go to put a deer down with me. She answered no, but if we take a "chicken" out, that would be OK. My thoughts were In the end of the day, we agreed to repeat what we did today before she leaves (she lives in Vancouver) and hopefully get the shotgun going as well.

Just a few photos from today:

Do you see a squirrel? (you probably do )

Quite a few very fresh rubs around:

Hopefully we did not ruin this dude's hunt:

Don't these things look like those binary code cards whenever you run into them?

And driving out closer to the sunset:

Best time of the year to be out there!

Wish I had a decent camera to take photos with. If anyone has one they want to get rid off, let me know. I promise to post photos around these parts of the internet

P.S. When we came back home, my mother-in-law said that i am a bad influence with guns and stuff
Old 10-01-2017, 08:25 PM

The dog is 3 years old now, and the work I've been putting into him is finally starting to seem to be worth it! We got some Wainwright sharptails:

We've found a few pheasants:

We've gotten into a few ducks and coots:

And today, for the first time ever, we limited out on Ruffies (it helped that he held point on a covey of at least 9):

I was disappointed about not being drawn for sheep, but it's so much fun watching the dog work birds! Loving this fall, so far!

"This Brittany is my most cherished possession — the darndest bird-finder I have ever seen, a tough and wiry little dog with a choke-bored nose and the ability to read birds’ minds." -Jack O'Connor

Last edited by alacringa; 10-01-2017 at 08:51 PM.
Old 10-01-2017, 08:33 PM

That is truly awesome! Congrats! A great looking pup. Beautiful photos as well. Thank you for sharing!
Old 10-01-2017, 08:39 PM

Geese busted us yesterday afternoon while we were setting up - they rolled in over an hour earlier than normal!
After that every flick seemed to pour into a field owned by a well know anti who won't grant permission to anyone!
However I did see 12 moose on the weekend in 510, mostly cows, one had two calves with her. Did see three bulls
Cat
Old 10-01-2017, 09:00 PM
Banned

3 ducks harvested first time shooting migratory birds and shot gun for that fact apparently very good st it lol had 4 small 40-80" mule deer in bow range to small to harvest and had an encounter with a large very large bull elk at 40 yards but didn't go my way what a year