Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 10-10-2017, 01:10 PM
PCP_ECOM's Avatar
PCP_ECOM PCP_ECOM is offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Nanton,AB
Posts: 817
Default Road Kill

I guess they are not allowing Resident trapper's to obtain a permit to pick up game animals on side of road anymore, Their words were "there are too many Resident Trappers wanting permit and hard to keep track of"
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 10-10-2017, 07:29 PM
hoyt hntr hoyt hntr is offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 78
Default

not true
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 10-10-2017, 07:42 PM
H380's Avatar
H380 H380 is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: WMU 108
Posts: 5,245
Default

Who did you hear that from Peter ? Volker Stevin guys around here are more than happy to let me help out .
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 10-10-2017, 07:58 PM
PCP_ECOM's Avatar
PCP_ECOM PCP_ECOM is offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Nanton,AB
Posts: 817
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by H380 View Post
Who did you hear that from Peter ? Volker Stevin guys around here are more than happy to let me help out .
I just went to the High River Branch today and that is the statement she gave me exactly as I stated,now if this true at this Branch than why is it not the same else where,and if this is being allowed else where that is total BS IMO
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 10-10-2017, 10:06 PM
spoiledsaskhunter spoiledsaskhunter is offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 628
Default

just guessing here guys, but am thinking f&w probably has a different philosophy/different answers than Volker employees......not saying it's a secret some get the odd road kill, but hope by talking about it we're not brewing a problem somewhere down the road.

maybe just let it lie (lay?), and not get a problem stirred up?
__________________
we r advised not to judge all muslims by the actions of a few lunatics, but r encouraged to judge all gun owners by the actions of a few lunatics
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 10-11-2017, 01:40 AM
HunterDave's Avatar
HunterDave HunterDave is offline
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Copperhead Road, Morinville
Posts: 16,454
Default

There's no issue whatsoever salvaging roadkill in the two districts that I deal with as long as you take the whole animal and not leave a gutpile and, it stays within the zone where it was killed. I just email the species, sex, location and a picture. Your district is probably ticked off with sending out letters to possess. Too easy, if it's not going into the freezer for human consumption or dog food, don't bother with the letter. Good luck.
__________________
“The whole problem with any issue is that fools and fanatics are always certain of their position, while wise people are full of doubt and questions.” Bertrand Russell
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 10-11-2017, 10:40 AM
PCP_ECOM's Avatar
PCP_ECOM PCP_ECOM is offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Nanton,AB
Posts: 817
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoiledsaskhunter View Post
just guessing here guys, but am thinking f&w probably has a different philosophy/different answers than Volker employees......not saying it's a secret some get the odd road kill, but hope by talking about it we're not brewing a problem somewhere down the road.

maybe just let it lie (lay?), and not get a problem stirred up?
My issue is that the different branches are not consistant when giving approval for certain things,it should be an even playing field,i have just as much right as anyone else is my point,thanks,not looking to be in procession of something then be in trouble either.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 10-11-2017, 02:04 PM
jmparker's Avatar
jmparker jmparker is offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 160
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCP_ECOM View Post
My issue is that the different branches are not consistant when giving approval for certain things,it should be an even playing field,i have just as much right as anyone else is my point,thanks,not looking to be in procession of something then be in trouble either.
i agree about the different branches not having consistent policies for this kind of thing. it is frustrating. i think if a trapper has a trapping licence and is operating a bait site that should be all the permission he/she needs to pick up road kill.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 10-11-2017, 02:59 PM
PCP_ECOM's Avatar
PCP_ECOM PCP_ECOM is offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Nanton,AB
Posts: 817
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmparker View Post
i agree about the different branches not having consistent policies for this kind of thing. it is frustrating. i think if a trapper has a trapping licence and is operating a bait site that should be all the permission he/she needs to pick up road kill.
Yes and are we not an intregal part of conservation,Trapper's who are presently trapping on a resident license are the one of the greatest control devices available to keep predator's,in this instance coyote in check,not saying Registered Trapper's don't go after them as well as I know they do,the whole point of this thread is the inconsistency with branches.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 10-13-2017, 11:48 AM
6tmile 6tmile is offline
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 877
Default

Talked to the officers in Evansburg yesterday and they said that they read something about it earlier this year and will get back to me.
__________________
CAVEAT EMPTOR!
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 10-26-2017, 11:50 PM
HunterDave's Avatar
HunterDave HunterDave is offline
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Copperhead Road, Morinville
Posts: 16,454
Default

I met with an Officer in my district today in prep for the season and he confirmed that each district has their own policy wrt roadkills. He provided CWD areas as an example of where recovery of roadkill may be stricter. In this district there are so many roadkill’s that they’d rather see them go to use rather than have road crews pick them up and dispose of them. They seem to have a more common sense approach in this area as opposed others that I’ve heard about.
__________________
“The whole problem with any issue is that fools and fanatics are always certain of their position, while wise people are full of doubt and questions.” Bertrand Russell
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:04 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.