Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #31  
Old 10-23-2017, 09:38 PM
bobalong's Avatar
bobalong bobalong is offline
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 3,396
Default

I bought a Marcum VX-1 about 5-6 years ago, has worked well right out of the box and ever since.
__________________
If I am lucky enough to live at the lake one day, that's lucky enough.
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 10-23-2017, 09:55 PM
needmoretoys needmoretoys is offline
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 150
Default

If you haven't used a Helix, you can't comment on how bad or good it is. I honestly find it better then my Ice 55 in 35' of water with a 1/64oz jig and maggots. You can have the graph and sounder going at the same time and see what the fish are doing. Don't get me wrong, i do like my Ice 55, just liking the Helix more. The GPS is great when you find some fish and can mark them. Also works good when you have the lake maps and are looking for structure or an island. Ive used pretty much every brand out there and they all have good and bad features. i found that Marcum was the least reliable and took a long time t get repairs, Vexlar is good, but not as popular in Alberta, and just had best luck with the Huminbird. Good luck in shopping, Whole Sale had a bunch for 20% off last time i stopped by. All last years models, but the Ice 35, 45, 55 haven't changed in years.
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 10-24-2017, 05:42 PM
HowSwedeItIs's Avatar
HowSwedeItIs HowSwedeItIs is online now
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Out on the Edge of the Prairie
Posts: 822
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavYak View Post
I used to just throw mine in a milk crate with a couple other odds and ends but if I was doing sled in trips regularly I would wrap it up in a blanket/foam/jacket and have it secured in a milk crate or something as well.

On our Lake Athabasca trip we wrecked my auger(cracked fuel tank and broke throttle off), flasher(gain knob), both our heaters(rattled apart multiple times), pot handle, lost my chair and I am sure I am forgetting a few other things lol... Lesson learned was that on long sled trips you need to put a lot of thought into properly securing items inside your sled...
Yikes, good to know!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROA View Post
I keep a bucket ratchet strapped at the front foot well part of the running board of my snowmobile that I slide the flasher in. I don't put them in the toboggan if I can help it.
What a great idea, will have to look at doing that myself
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 10-24-2017, 06:40 PM
calgarygringo calgarygringo is offline
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: calgary
Posts: 1,944
Default

In 35 feet of water it will be fine. Get into 75 to 100 then you will notice a difference. I would suggest anything under 40 most of these machines will meet most persons needs. The gps and maps are a bonus on the bird. I am going to convert mine for ice for the first time. The maps and having already marked spots during summer will beat my old finder I have been using on the ice. The 7 inch screen will be nice too. Waiting for freeze up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by needmoretoys View Post
If you haven't used a Helix, you can't comment on how bad or good it is. I honestly find it better then my Ice 55 in 35' of water with a 1/64oz jig and maggots. You can have the graph and sounder going at the same time and see what the fish are doing. Don't get me wrong, i do like my Ice 55, just liking the Helix more. The GPS is great when you find some fish and can mark them. Also works good when you have the lake maps and are looking for structure or an island. Ive used pretty much every brand out there and they all have good and bad features. i found that Marcum was the least reliable and took a long time t get repairs, Vexlar is good, but not as popular in Alberta, and just had best luck with the Huminbird. Good luck in shopping, Whole Sale had a bunch for 20% off last time i stopped by. All last years models, but the Ice 35, 45, 55 haven't changed in years.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 10-24-2017, 07:26 PM
TylerThomson TylerThomson is offline
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 434
Default

Man some of you guys have had bad luck. Me and a buddy both own Marcum a lx6 and an lx7 and only issues we've had is broken transducers. One caused by a 3 year old using it as a grappling hook and the other from fumble fingers.

I know another guy with a vex and it works but I would rather have my Marcum any day with the graph mode and verticle flasher. With that being said any flasher is better than no flasher.
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 10-25-2017, 09:46 AM
Vapor Vapor is offline
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 6
Default calle permits

This thread prompted me to go out and get my first flasher. lol
I'm now the happy owner of a Vexilar ... now where's a frozen lake so I can go try this thing out?
I'm hearing heavy snow up at Wabasca ...
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 10-26-2017, 06:37 AM
TylerThomson TylerThomson is offline
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 434
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vapor View Post
This thread prompted me to go out and get my first flasher. lol
I'm now the happy owner of a Vexilar ... now where's a frozen lake so I can go try this thing out?
I'm hearing heavy snow up at Wabasca ...
Hahaha I remember when I got mine I tried using it in a 5 gallon pail waiting for ice up.
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 10-26-2017, 08:13 AM
Stonecutter's Avatar
Stonecutter Stonecutter is offline
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Parkland County, Alberta
Posts: 323
Default

Any way you go - fishing with a flasher changes ice fishing for the better, guaranteed. Since I got my Marcum - I've never looked back.
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 10-26-2017, 09:50 AM
EZM's Avatar
EZM EZM is offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 6,337
Default

Like a few guys have mentioned here - Marcum's customer service is outstanding - they support their customer. The problem is, I did have periodic break downs of my Marcum stuff. 2 seasons ago, I bought a second camera, because the first one was in the shop again (for the second time due to condensation in lens).

My Marcum flasher also had some issues that went back for warranty.

Excellent products (when the work) and excellent customer service but it's getting a little old for me now what seems to be constantly dealing with one issue or the next on my Marcum stuff.

I also have an older hummingbird ??? (the predecessor to the ICE) all in one flasher/GPS/Fish finder unit and bought the summer transducer for it so I can take it in a canoe or rental boat (whatever). Never had issues with the Humminbird stuff. It works well and doesn't break.

It's my GPS for ice fishing and my "back-up" unit. Problem is I had to use my backup unit for weeks or months every second or so ice season ...... I think the Marcum is clearer and brighter, but that doesn't help you when it's in the shop for warranty.
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 10-26-2017, 10:53 AM
bobalong's Avatar
bobalong bobalong is offline
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 3,396
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerThomson View Post
Man some of you guys have had bad luck. Me and a buddy both own Marcum a lx6 and an lx7 and only issues we've had is broken transducers. One caused by a 3 year old using it as a grappling hook and the other from fumble fingers.

I know another guy with a vex and it works but I would rather have my Marcum any day with the graph mode and verticle flasher. With that being said any flasher is better than no flasher.
Some people forget that sonar is a piece of electronics, and although they are made for outdoor use they still need to be handled sensibly. I have owned sonar/gps since about 1987 Garmin, Humminbird, Marcum, and Lowrance, and with the exception of a transducer replacement have never had a problem with any of them.
__________________
If I am lucky enough to live at the lake one day, that's lucky enough.
Reply With Quote
  #41  
Old 10-26-2017, 06:25 PM
Saskieboy Saskieboy is offline
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 31
Default Flashers

I love my Lowrance Elite 5HDI it has been great for th 4 years & no issues. I love to use the split screen with real time images/ flasher. I can see my lure on both & the fish reacting or not.It was better than my friends Ice 55 IMO
Reply With Quote
  #42  
Old 10-28-2017, 12:10 PM
SamSteele's Avatar
SamSteele SamSteele is offline
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 1,145
Default

For anyone interested, there is a Marcum VX-1i on sale for $299 at the South Edmonton Common CT. They also had a Lowrance 3x Ice on sale for $339.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
__________________
"To be glad of life because it gives you the chance to love and to work and to play and to look up at the stars- to be satisfied with your possessions but not content with yourself until you have made the best of them...to think seldom of your enemies, often of your friends, and every day of Christ; to spend as much time as you can in God's out-of doors- these are the little guideposts on the footpaths to peace."

-Henry Van Dyke

Instagram: @mharder80
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:54 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.