Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 11-07-2017, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raw outdoors View Post
Iím going to bump this back up. My family and I will be heading back to PV area feb l. I will be fishing every morning again. This year we will be staying closer to PV near the paradise Village marina. I will be trying off the beach casting but this area doesnít look like thatís going to be best, next option will be try to catch some fish off the rocks at the marina, couple morning trips to punta mita for some cliff fishing and if I can manage to pack it in I will be bringing my inflatable SUP Bote Bugslinger to try some deeper fishing.
Let me know if anyone is going earlier to report on fishing or going the same time I am maybe we can smack some water.

Good thread to bump back up, good hot vacation helps get a guy threw winter! Nice pics as well.
Old 11-07-2017, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aulrich View Post
I'll need to get my picture off the camera, fishing by the palladium was tough but that was mostly due to the location , at high tidewe were stuck on the resort. But the upside is I did actually see jacks and roosterfish, just could not get them to bite. a number of time I was casting a boiling bait fish

One morning I had a massive amounts of bites I just could not keep a fish hooked up, I suspect they were needlefish.

The only fish I caught on an artificial was a puffer fish.

The last day I did chuck bait and manage to land a few snapper and something I would think is a sea bass.

For next time,

more bomber slab spoons, they casts like bullets and if you swap out the plain treble for a single bucktail they have a decent high speed action.

More soft plastics , all I has was 2" grubs but I think Carolina rigged soft plastics have some potential for the close in fish like snappers.

Bring tools and or a backup reel sand get everywhere

Next time we are thinking about Ixtapa

Raw what was the beach like around your resort we like the PV area

I have never used any of the bomber slab spoons. I will have to get a few. What size do you use?
Old 11-07-2017, 05:50 PM

I purchased I st croix 4 peice surf rod I believe it was 10í maybe they make seve sizes. This year for surf fishing I will be using a penn spinfisher V 7500 LC. I just want to try it to see how far I cast. I have been using a penn feirce 4000 and a penn fierce II 4000 LL Excellent reeks for the money but they are not sealed as well as the more excencive penn reels so if you go for a swim like I usually do when you get back from the morning fish rinse it in the pool the fresh shower then when you get home strip it down and clean. I learned my lesson. You donít need really heavy line 30lb braid is great I have never out casted a spool of 30lb I have ran out of line with 50lb. Like mentioned earlier the prime fishing is done for the year but who cares if I can fish in a warm beautiful spot I will every day any day over miserable cold Alberta.
You can always catch fish with shrimp and and pickerel rig. The two best lures I have found other than bait is #1 hands down shimano wax Wing stupid expensive but man the fish go nuts. Cast it out and just reel as fast as you can and the lure does all the work. I have picture above of that lure. The 118 and the 135 mm is what I use. Next is the Gibbs Polaris popper you need to do a little walk the dog with this one while you crank it in fast but that what I caught my biggest jack right on the public beach so Iím partial to that lure.
Step one for long flat beach fishing look way down both ways try spot Boiling fish
Step two figure out there direction of travel
Step three get in front of them
Step 4 launch a wax wing out and reel like a crazy man
In good fishing spots I have seen several boils in a morning in ****ty spot like out front nuavo Vallata I bait fish till I spot a boil that is. Then I quickly switch lures and sprint down the beach to try get to it your lucky to see one boil out front the public beach but it does happen. Punta de mita is much better for fish. Worth the $5 public bus ride.
Old 11-07-2017, 07:38 PM

I used the biggest 1 3/8 iirc bass pro has a similar lead casting spoon and I think it comes with a dressed hook which is something the slab spoon is missing. I wish the slab spoon came in a 2 and 3 oz version. You can't even buy a mold that is bigger than 1 3/8

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-07-2017, 07:42 PM

A new lure to try is the yo-zuri mag darter it has a weight transfer system that should make it fly quite well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-07-2017, 08:18 PM

I went to a store called Zaragosta marina.....spend about 100 bucks and got a 8 ' rod and a ****ty reel that is now busted cause I got it wet....but I can make it work for now...i caught the sting rays just south of the royal dameron.....there is a empty field beside hotel.... .....just hucked out a 3 oz slip weight....treble hook and squid.....use squid.....

Suyalita tomorrow....ill try for different fish....i also bought a harpon gun thing and shot 2 fish!!!! Lol....