Canada’s Outdoor Outfitters Wholesale Sports

Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #31  
Old 11-10-2017, 07:29 AM
Stinky Buffalo's Avatar
Stinky Buffalo Stinky Buffalo is online now
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: A bit North o' Center...
Posts: 6,283
Default

TullFan - Ouch! Glad you and the deer made it out okay.

Awesome post, RayB's. Experiences like that are one of the reasons I love to spend time in the bush.
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 11-10-2017, 08:10 AM
Jayhad Jayhad is offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 1,241
Default

I appreciate the words of wisdom and stories in this thread. Myself I have a 2 year old boy who is my world, but I find it very difficult to do day trips on the weekends when it is my only time to spend with him except for evenings. He's still to young to take out all day, and it truly tugs at my heart when I am coming in on 6-7 hours of sitting with no results.

That said I got out for a weekend a couple of weeks ago and totally blew a stalk on some whitetails that I was convinced was a sure thing..... as I tried to get up to them I had such tunnel vision I didn't see the 20 others bedded between us.... Life lessons.

I grew up spoiled and never thought hunting was this difficult. My father didn't hunt any big game besides moose and there was never a season as a kid that we didn't tag out at least one moose with marginal effort....and of course once again this season as every other one I can remember for 30 years, my father drove into his spot, got out, set up his chair and in 30 minutes had a bull on the ground....lol

I just took up hunting again a few seasons ago after a lengthy layoff and everytime I'm out there it seems the learning curve is as steep as always.

What has been really frustrating for me is the days I go in to check my cameras, you would think the deer have me GPS tracked, they'll be there 5 minutes before I walk in, 5 minutes after I leave and all day when I'm not in my blind..... dancing and laughing

I guess perseverance is the real ticket. I tend to fish a lot and I think this upcoming year I will curtail my fishing and just scout every chance I have. I figure if I get 30 days in the field before hunting season I should have some of these patterns figured out.
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 11-27-2017, 08:26 AM
bowhunter9841's Avatar
bowhunter9841 bowhunter9841 is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Leduc, Ab.
Posts: 1,954
Default

Windy day yesterday, led to very little activity. Right up until the last half hour, when I spotted 4 moose, who had spotted me first. Unfortunately they were on the wrong side of the fence again. Today was forecasted to be much windier, so I decided to take the day off, and I woke up to almost no wind. Ugh! Should have just got up and went out. Reality is starting to set in, and I feel like this will be another year spent working my tail off, with no game meat to show for it. Sure makes you regret passing up opportunities on deer earlier in the year. I still have another day and a half, so things can definitely turn around for me. Hope everyone else is having better luck than me.
__________________
Hunting... The one vice, i'll never give up!
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 11-27-2017, 09:08 AM
BiggieB's Avatar
BiggieB BiggieB is offline
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 80
Default It is what it is

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowhunter9841 View Post
Windy day yesterday, led to very little activity. Right up until the last half hour, when I spotted 4 moose, who had spotted me first. Unfortunately they were on the wrong side of the fence again. Today was forecasted to be much windier, so I decided to take the day off, and I woke up to almost no wind. Ugh! Should have just got up and went out. Reality is starting to set in, and I feel like this will be another year spent working my tail off, with no game meat to show for it. Sure makes you regret passing up opportunities on deer earlier in the year. I still have another day and a half, so things can definitely turn around for me. Hope everyone else is having better luck than me.
Well this is my fourth year of hunting and 3rd year of tag soup, it just comes down to being one of the lucky few...right time right place....even if you put in hours and hours of scouting it does improve your likelihood but nothing when hunting is a “sure shot.” last year I spent to 30+ days in the woods never had a chance to connect with anything, but talked to people who told me a moose or whitetail had just come out of the bush not 5 minutes prior and I had a tag for both.

this year started a new job just before the hunting season so had little time to get out, on the days i did I have ran into people gutting deer but haven’t Come across one myself yet, and probably won’t....but it just makes me want to go out scouting for next year that much more.
Just keep fighting the long battle and when you do finally connect it will be worth the wait.
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 11-27-2017, 09:57 AM
dustinjoels dustinjoels is offline
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 241
Default

If you're putting 30+ days in the field without a chance at a whitetail I strongly suggest you use your scouting time next year to find some new areas.
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 11-27-2017, 10:10 AM
BiggieB's Avatar
BiggieB BiggieB is offline
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 80
Default Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustinjoels View Post
If you're putting 30+ days in the field without a chance at a whitetail I strongly suggest you use your scouting time next year to find some new areas.
That was on a few chunks of land in Strathcona county within the 248, and i did come across deer, just lots of mulies (didn't have my bow with me on those days) and whitetails on private land that i didn't have permission on....Only been out there twice this year and when i had time i have been going out west my lad. Found plenty more signs.
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 11-27-2017, 10:39 AM
bowhunter9841's Avatar
bowhunter9841 bowhunter9841 is offline
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Leduc, Ab.
Posts: 1,954
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiggieB View Post
Well this is my fourth year of hunting and 3rd year of tag soup, it just comes down to being one of the lucky few...right time right place....even if you put in hours and hours of scouting it does improve your likelihood but nothing when hunting is a “sure shot.” last year I spent to 30+ days in the woods never had a chance to connect with anything, but talked to people who told me a moose or whitetail had just come out of the bush not 5 minutes prior and I had a tag for both.

this year started a new job just before the hunting season so had little time to get out, on the days i did I have ran into people gutting deer but haven’t Come across one myself yet, and probably won’t....but it just makes me want to go out scouting for next year that much more.
Just keep fighting the long battle and when you do finally connect it will be worth the wait.
This is my 13th year hunting, I'm familiar with tag soup. Had many years where it just didn't happen. Also had years where I get two or three deer. Last five years that I've been working in ft Mac, I have only shot two deer. My biggest frustration is that with the exception of one muley doe draw, I have yet to kill any of my special draws. That includes cow elk, mule buck (twice), and bull moose (maybe twice), unless I fill my tag in the next two days. It is getting frustrating. Burning up 5 years or more of waiting, just to not fill the tag! And it's not for lack of trying, I just haven't been in the right place at the right time yet. One day I'll get lucky!
__________________
Hunting... The one vice, i'll never give up!
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 11-27-2017, 03:47 PM
58thecat's Avatar
58thecat 58thecat is offline
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.
Posts: 11,771
Default

Hunting, the hunt, the kill will come but like one already mentioned enjoy the adventure.
__________________

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 11-27-2017, 05:30 PM
Vacation Vacation is offline
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Central Alberta
Posts: 418
Default

I hadn't shot a big game animal since 2013. Then a few weeks ago, Bull Elk down and Mule buck down within 2 days. It will happen when it happens. Keep at it.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:51 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.