Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 11-18-2017, 06:44 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.
Default Cold weather hunting boots

Ok the old sorrels pack boots I got in 1990 have a hole in them...they weren't the best but I wore lots of foot layers and I am a cheap ***** but after 27 years of wearing these boots in the cold, be it hunting, fishing, etc it's time to lay down some cash....I need a pair of boots that I can literally sit in -20 for hours on end, need to be water proof too, any real time recommendations?

Thanks.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 11-18-2017, 06:51 AM

My Baffin Impact are ratted at -100C/-148F. Sitting in -20 for hours at end you need something rated like these at minimum. Don't need to be waterproof at -20 but these are. They are not really a multi purpose boot.......wear em' when it's real cold and for nothing else. Think moon boots. It's tricky driving a standard with these on lol
Old 11-18-2017, 07:20 AM

I’d look at Muck artic’s
I find them to warm to walk in but if it’s really cold and I’m sittin
They keep me warm n dry .
Old 11-18-2017, 07:35 AM

Hey Cat
2 x on the baffin impact
Sorrel also make a -100 boot also but very hard to find .

The Baffin are very light and warm .
I am a guy that all ways gets cold feet .
These will keep you warm.
Easy to get in and out of .

Bad thing is ,they are not water proof !
They do have a tag on them saying water proof .I talking to the factory because I returned 2 sets because I was getting wet feet after cutting holes from ice fishing. They told me ...only the first few inches are water proof, the upper nylon
are not water proof.
( when ice fishing i will place a bag between the linner and the inside of the boot)

If you want water proof set ,go to Mark's they sell a set that the guys on the rigs use ...they are heaver because they have a steel toe.
And they are harder to get out of some times as the linner will pull out .

worst boot are the Cabelas -100 boot
Can not get them on or even off !
Old 11-18-2017, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by -JR- View Post
Hey Cat
2 x on the baffin impact
Sorrel also make a -100 boot also but very hard to find .

The Baffin are very light and warm .
I am a guy that all ways gets cold feet .
These will keep you warm.
Easy to get in and out of .

Bad thing is ,they are not water proof !
They do have a tag on them saying water proof .I talking to the factory because I returned 2 sets because I was getting wet feet after cutting holes from ice fishing. They told me ...only the first few inches are water proof, the upper nylon
are not water proof.
( when ice fishing i will place a bag between the linner and the inside of the boot)

If you want water proof set ,go to Mark's they sell a set that the guys on the rigs use ...they are heaver because they have a steel toe.
And they are harder to get out of some times as the linner will pull out .

worst boot are the Cabelas -100 boot
Can not get them on or even off !

Sounds like you should use muck boots .
Or be the kool kid on the lake with bags in your boots like a hobo

-100 n water proof
Old 11-18-2017, 07:54 AM

Hey cat those green Dunlop boots are pretty good, I've used them for a while, also Muck boots. The Dunlop will do -30 and the mucks about -25 , and both water tight. Hate to say but in my experience boots are like optics, the more $$ you put out the better product you get. Good luck in your pick as your gonna either say you made a great buy or the worse darn boot you ever bought.( Also if you got wide feet don't get the dunlops, get the Baffins in that style a little better for wider feet according to my bro).luck
Old 11-18-2017, 08:45 AM

Trapping beaver in the summer for the county and coyotes in the winter I️ looked for a all purpose boot. Got a pair of dakotas from marks. They are great. Water proof, cool in the heat of the summer and have kept my feet warm at -51.
Old 11-18-2017, 08:50 AM

Baffin and Kamik -100 boots are the warmest I have. The Kamiks are terrible for walking in especially in hilly country. The Baffins are not bad as I have the leather lace up ones, however the top of the boot is so wide that a lot of clothing won't go over the top of them and snow packs up in there. OK when at home and you can dry them out, but not so good when in camp. I have the muck arctic boots and they are great for chores, but not quite as warm as a pair of Grubbs I have, and neither keep my feet anywhere near warm when it's -15 and I am sitting.
Old 11-18-2017, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BackPackHunter View Post
Sounds like you should use muck boots .
Or be the kool kid on the lake with bags in your boots like a hobo

-100 n water proof

Bags are just a safety liner ,can not be seen on the out side ...nice try !

I do have the cold weather mucks..... for me they are only good when walking.

I freeze in them when not moving.
Old 11-18-2017, 09:27 AM

Thanks for the replies, remember I am sitting, got the dunlops which are great for moving in but I am sitting, -18 today lasted three hours on stand...need a sit long boots with minimal movement to generate heat.

In for an hour to heat up then out again...sorrels liner is in the dryer with the rest of the sole material...feet tingling....

Old 11-18-2017, 09:29 AM

I would look at the shinee's PAC boots I've had mine for 10 years best boot I've ever worn

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Old 11-18-2017, 09:31 AM

Expensive but well worth the money

Old 11-18-2017, 09:34 AM

I am a huge fan of my Irish Setter Elk Hunter 1000g. They are not quite as warm as some of the -100 boots mentioned but they are a lot more comfortable if you are actually covering some ground. I find waterproofness to be less important the colder it gets these are gortex though and as a leather boot you should be waxing them anyways which makes them more then waterproof enough for winter conditions. I've worn them Ice fishing outside (not sitting in a heated hut) all day in -30 no problem.
Old 11-18-2017, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 35 whelen View Post

I bought these same boots 5 years ago. They are awesome and extremely warm.

When the bottom eventuallywears out you can send them back to schnees to have them rebuilt at a nominal cost. Good luck
Old 11-18-2017, 10:24 AM

I just bought a pair of the Cabela’s Inferno 2000 in black instead of camo, This way I can still wear them at work if necessary.
Haven’t really tried them out but shovelled the driveway and was walking on air.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Pg5j6SJrWIY

Last edited by Huntsman; 11-18-2017 at 10:41 AM.
Old 11-18-2017, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
Ok the old sorrels pack boots I got in 1990 have a hole in them...they weren't the best but I wore lots of foot layers and I am a cheap ***** but after 27 years of wearing these boots in the cold, be it hunting, fishing, etc it's time to lay down some cash....I need a pair of boots that I can literally sit in -20 for hours on end, need to be water proof too, any real time recommendations?

Thanks.
ok , I'll admit to having zero experience/knowledge on the subject , but now seems like a good time to ask about all the different types of battery/non-battery type heating socks or liners etc .

Don't know how necessary they are/would be if actually hoofing it , but for sitting long term as asked about , I would figure they would be the answer , or at least a good start .

The fact that no one has brought them up , leads me to believe that they don't really work .

Any thoughts ?
Old 11-18-2017, 10:56 AM

For -20 or do like this morning, I wear Irish Setter Rlk Yracjerx and heavy wool docks ,
When it gets colder I wear Pacs much like the Schnees only they are made by Kennetreck
Cat
Old 11-18-2017, 10:58 AM

Muck Arctic extreme, luv them............only complaint could be more aggressive tread, but toes are toasty. too warm for only -10
Old 11-18-2017, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pixel Shooter View Post
Muck Arctic extreme, luv them............only complaint could be more aggressive tread, but toes are toasty. too warm for only -10
I also wear muck boots when it is sloppy and wet
Cat
Old 11-18-2017, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pixel Shooter View Post
Remember this is just sitting with no movement, if so then I would consider these.

I know lots of boots that keep,your feet warm while moving, working, walking etc but I am sitting 3 plus hours...

To the question about electric boots or battery operated, ya they do work but you will sooner or later wear out the wires etc, too much crap,to go wrong etc.

Old 11-18-2017, 11:30 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntsman View Post
I just bought a pair of the Cabela’s Inferno 2000 in black instead of camo, This way I can still wear them at work if necessary.
Haven’t really tried them out but shovelled the driveway and was walking on air.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Pg5j6SJrWIY
I've got something similar from Cabela's in snow camo. in addition to thinsulate the removable felt liner has a pocket under the toes to place a toe warmer packet in. I've found them very effective when sitting a lot and walking a little when predator calling in the winter. Walking long distances may be a pain as the toe packet feels light a lump in your boot after awhile.
Old 11-18-2017, 02:58 PM

I sit all day. No warm ups. In before light and out after dark. If it’s stupid cold I run Sorel Glaciers, liner sock, heavy wool and Bammas then Raven Wear boot blankets. I’ve pulled all day sits where it hasn’t got above -22C and been quite comfortable. Most of the time I’m wearing a Cabela’s pac boot. Can’t recall if they are 1200 or 2000gr thinsulate. But I Wear with a medium weight wool sock. Any heavier and my feet sweat, then the boot blankets have to go on. They run a little small on size in my opinion. Length and width. Wish I could have got them in a 14 but they do the job most times. I’d like to try the Sask Pac Boot from Cabela’s but won’t be unless I can get a 14. If I could run Bammas in these current boots I’m sure I’d be able to run them in the dirty cold too.
Old 11-18-2017, 04:56 PM

I have had a pair of Lacrosse pac boots, for about 12 years. Very similar to the kennetrek and Schnees . They have a thinsulate removable liner, totally rebuildable boot. air bob soles, good heel, great to walk in, waterproof and very warm, even sitting .
Old 11-18-2017, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freerider View Post
I am a huge fan of my Irish Setter Elk Hunter 1000g. They are not quite as warm as some of the -100 boots mentioned but they are a lot more comfortable if you are actually covering some ground. I find waterproofness to be less important the colder it gets these are gortex though and as a leather boot you should be waxing them anyways which makes them more then waterproof enough for winter conditions. I've worn them Ice fishing outside (not sitting in a heated hut) all day in -30 no problem.
My elk trackers are 800g and I love them almost as much as my wife but sitting in a blind last week at -20 I had a set of toe warmers and 2 hand warmers shoved in my boots. Still froze
Old 11-19-2017, 06:07 AM

Long term sitting in cold weather..........Look at the Baffin brand cold weather boots. Not great to walk in although they are not too bad while on snowshoes.
Proper socks inside them.......wicking layer with wool on top!!
Old 11-19-2017, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 35 whelen View Post

I have two pairs of Schnees, a lighter pair, and a heavier pair. The lighter ones are great for walking to about -20, and the heavier ones keep my feet warm to about -20 when sitting for extended periods. They are the boot that I wear when I have to walk a lot in colder weather, but for sitting a lot, there are better choices.
Old 11-19-2017, 07:58 AM

Spray on antiperspirant and let it dry before you put your socks on. Icebreaker socks, two pairs. One for walking, one for sitting.

Bogs classic if i have to walk in a ways, change socks and put on Hot Mocs with toe warmers as soon as I sit down. Those things are awesome. Did this in -20 last week and toes were fine for 3 hours.

If it's sub -20, cabelas trans Alaskas. They kinda suck to walk in, but are unbeatable for sitting still in the cold.

Notice none of this is "cheap" because cheap doesn't work in the cold. Also, you will eventually get cold sitting still regardless of what you buy. The better your gear, the longer you last but it won't be all day. I can get about 3.5 hours of -35 stand time and that's with the best gear available.
Old 11-19-2017, 09:31 AM

For all day sits in the stand I use Cabelas Saskatchewan pac boots 2000gr or their brown non camo version they are on sale again right now. I've had mine for 4 years and they are great. Only downside is they aren't meant for long distance walking your feet will get warm and ankle support could be better (walking severly uneven terrain). I would recomend them.
Old 11-19-2017, 09:33 AM

3blade pointed them out they use a different name then when I bought them: https://www.cabelas.ca/product/97979
Old 11-19-2017, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre Tessier View Post
3blade pointed them out they use a different name then when I bought them: https://www.cabelas.ca/product/97979
They sell both. Sask pac boot and trans Alaska’s. Not sure about a name change.
I was looking at both those pairs when they had the Hometown heroes sale and settled on the black Inferno 2000’s so I can wear them at work as well as in a stand, blind or over a hole in the ice.

https://www.cabelas.ca/product/97980...ewan-pac-boots