Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 08-20-2009, 10:10 PM

Default need some info on .17hmr

I was in bass pro today checkin out a savage .17hmr, seemed like a sturdy gun. I like what i see about the .17's but i dont know a whole lot about them. I like how much heavier it is than a .22 and i have seen on youtube and stuff how much more damage it does. Any ups and downs with this calibre? is $290 good for one? Any suggestions on makes? Any suggestions on scopes to use with? How big of animals can i take down with it ie. coyotes? or smaller? range on shots? thanks guys.

Battery
Old 08-20-2009, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Battery View Post
I was in bass pro today checkin out a savage .17hmr, seemed like a sturdy gun. I like what i see about the .17's but i dont know a whole lot about them. I like how much heavier it is than a .22 and i have seen on youtube and stuff how much more damage it does. Any ups and downs with this calibre? is $290 good for one? Any suggestions on makes? Any suggestions on scopes to use with? How big of animals can i take down with it ie. coyotes? or smaller? range on shots? thanks guys.

Battery
my fav gopher gun... down fall light bullets + wind= lol
Not a savage rimfirefan....so i would suggest s CZ 452 amerian or any CZ. Price will double but well worth it IMO.

How big of animals can it take down? im sure it can take down big game if the shot was right, but seeing as how thats illegal i dont suggest it. however it will take down a coyotes i have done it a few times, keep the distance under 175 yards.

Scopes well thats up to you, i have a cheapy tasco 6-24x42 with an AO works fine. i would suggest soemthing thay goes up to 14-16x power. makes gopher flunking at the long ranges alot easier, any power above those the heat waves fill the scope.
Old 08-20-2009, 10:22 PM

I bought a Savage stainless synthetic heavy barrel 17 HMR this spring. Extremely accurate gun and round. 150 yard shots on gophers off the bipod is well with in its realm. With the right shot placement can easily dispatch a yote if the range is held within reason. My uncle uses his 17 HMR Savage exclusively on yotes back home and he tipped 46 over with it this past winter. I would recommend a heavy barrel for heat dissapation (sp). I use a 3-9x40 scope on mine and it works fine but as the above poster has mentioned the higher power to say 15 or so would be better for the longer ranges on gophers as they are a small critter.
Old 08-20-2009, 10:36 PM

I recently bought a Marling 917 VSF (Fluted Varmint barrel in Stainless), found a good deal on a new Bausch & Lomb Elite 4200 2.5 - 10 x 40 mm (silver scope)....in retrospect, a higher magnification would have been better, but the 3-9 on my .22 made me think it would be alright. It is sufficient out to 150 yrds, but after that a 14x would be nicer.

Having said that, that Marlin is a tack driver! I just set it up this past sunday, once I had it sighted at 50 yrds (9 rounds in one ragged hole the size of a quarter, and one 'flyer' 1/4" off that was my fault), shot it at 100 yrds and only had to move my hairs one click up to zero. Very flat shooter, and only a 2.5" drop to 150 yrds. The only thing I don't like about my Marlin is the magizine is kind of a poor design, you can't just slap it in, you have to carefully insert it just so....minor issue though for the quality.

It has way more punch than a .22 certainly, but it is the accuracy that is where it shines. Out of the box unbelievable. You won't regret getting one. My Marlin was on sale at Cabelas for $350, but I just looked and they are back up to $459, and also backordered (not surprised, with the sale and all).

I put a Caldwell bipod under mine, and look forward to going south for some Prairie Rats this spring.

Pic attached, I think its pretty sharp with the laminate stock and silver scope....but mostly, I love the way that thing shoots bittly little groups!

Don't shoot one, or you will buy one.....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1805.JPG (48.4 KB, 30 views)

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 08-20-2009, 11:32 PM

I have a heavy barrel savage, and I like it. Not well finished or fancy, but for a cheap gopher gun it is well worth it and super accurate.
No comparison to .22, double your range easily. You rarely hit a gopher without finding a body(or half a body!), whereas with the .22 they sometimes wriggle into a hole.
I don"t like the idea of shooting yotes with it, I know it can be done, but I don't like rimfires for anything bigger than rabbits.
The .17 is'nt cheap to feed either, when the hoardes of gophers are coming right at you, 5 bucks does'nt last long!
I don't think you'll regret buying a .17, which one depends on how nice a gun you want.
Old 08-21-2009, 12:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by migrant hunter View Post
I have a heavy barrel savage, and I like it. Not well finished or fancy, but for a cheap gopher gun it is well worth it and super accurate.
No comparison to .22, double your range easily. You rarely hit a gopher without finding a body(or half a body!), whereas with the .22 they sometimes wriggle into a hole.
I don"t like the idea of shooting yotes with it, I know it can be done, but I don't like rimfires for anything bigger than rabbits.
The .17 is'nt cheap to feed either, when the hoardes of gophers are coming right at you, 5 bucks does'nt last long!
I don't think you'll regret buying a .17, which one depends on how nice a gun you want.
How much is the ammo?
Old 08-21-2009, 12:29 AM

I think the last stuff I got was $15.50 for 50 rounds. It aint a .22!
It"s a good calibre, but crazy expensive for what it is.
.22 magnum is cheaper, will blow up gophers, and if I had to shoot a yote with a rimfire, I"d use a .22 mag before the .17.
I had a .22 magnum for years and shot dozens of red foxes with it.
It did'nt have the reach the 17 has, but it certainly beat a regular .22.
I now have a 10/22 for cheap shooting, a savage 17 for gophers(don't use it for anything else, a .223 for yotes and a .22 k hornet on the way for gophers/yotes in one gun.
Old 08-21-2009, 12:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by migrant hunter View Post
I think the last stuff I got was $15.50 for 50 rounds. It aint a .22!
It"s a good calibre, but crazy expensive for what it is.
.22 magnum is cheaper, will blow up gophers, and if I had to shoot a yote with a rimfire, I"d use a .22 mag before the .17.
I had a .22 magnum for years and shot dozens of red foxes with it.
It did'nt have the reach the 17 has, but it certainly beat a regular .22.
I now have a 10/22 for cheap shooting, a savage 17 for gophers(don't use it for anything else, a .223 for yotes and a .22 k hornet on the way for gophers/yotes in one gun.
Thats not too bad, considering ive been using the .410 for gophers because my .22lr isn't much fun, 15.00 for 25 cartridges for the .410 haha. Plus that .17 just looks too nice to pass up, i like how compact it is, and the videos on youtube showing it sell me.
Old 08-21-2009, 01:07 AM

battery,
you cant go wrong the 17hmr, i think its probly the best new caliber in the last 40 years. it is easily the most accurate cartridge in my collection
it can drop a coyote easily but you wont have much luck trying to get to the boiler room through the back door it will have to be head on or broadside.
i dont think the brand of gun matters as much the cartridge is just plain accurate.period.

weatherby fans clik here....
http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/group.php?groupid=31
Old 08-21-2009, 06:14 AM

Rodgers bang on the 17 is a gem the only one I have shot that was iffy was an NEF single but that may have been the optics.

Personally I love the Savage Heavy Stainless as pictured below evidently my son likes it to!
Old 08-21-2009, 11:10 AM

Up north with no gophers I just shoot ruffies in the neck and yotes out to 100 yards or so - I have harvested 2 yearling bison off the farm with quartering away behind the ear at 40 yards, but I damn sure wouldn't pack it if I got the bison draw!
would love to shot gophers with it though, should be just right
mines a ruger m77 with a burris 3x9 compact ss, good little gun.

Last edited by TUFFBUFF; 08-21-2009 at 11:18 AM.
Old 08-21-2009, 11:35 AM

its a fantastic cartridge and the savage is the best bang for your buck...the CZ looks nicer but for accuracy the savage heavy barrel will win...been there done that

i just recently got rid of my HMR...only reason being i can shoot a .223 centerfire for the same price of ammo and have a ton more fun watching gophers liquify in the scope...and it puts coyotes DOWN...no runners when i do my part
Old 08-21-2009, 11:42 AM

Got one in a Savage too.
I really like it, accuracy beyond what the price tags says, for sure.

All the fun you can have with a 22 and add 100yds+.

There are no absolutes