Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 04-04-2018, 02:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctd View Post
Wife asks me to keep an eye out at the Gun Show for a restricted firearm she has been looking for. I find that firearm, (she is not able to attend the show) Can I legally purchase that firearm for her?
Can I legally purchase that firearm and gift it to her?
That is an interesting question. Assuming, of course, you live with the wife, the firearm is unrestricted and legally stored at your residence, I don't see what difference it would make. Either of you can possess and transport the firearm. And you could choose to transfer ownership at any time if you want to.

But you said it's restricted. Assuming both of you have RPALs and again, it's stored legally at your residence, could she get an ATT to take it to the range while it's still in your name? If you transferred it to her through the CFO, would you be able to get an ATT to take it to the range? Can a restricted firearm have joint ownership?

In other words, could they meet at the range after work no matter who brings the gun?

My wife has only the unrestricted PAL for now and we usually go to the range together, so we hadn't thought about this question if she does upgrade.
Old 04-04-2018, 03:40 AM

Even more questions...

My son has a RPAL. Suppose I want to go on a long vacation. Would the CFO issue an ATT to transport a restricted firearm to his residence to store in his safe? Would an ATT be issued for him to take it to his range?

I think I know the answer to those questions but never gave them much thought before. The ATT really limits our freedom to do safe and sensible things with our legal firearms and now the government wants to tighten the ATT laws.

Final question: Is this thread even in the right category?
Old 04-04-2018, 05:45 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.
Question

Ohhhhhhh Harry.....what have you done?

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 04-04-2018, 05:48 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmtada View Post
Identical twin friend?
I like twins.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 04-04-2018, 06:08 AM

Common sense isn’t so common.

LC
Old 04-04-2018, 06:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harrry View Post
That was exactly what i told a buddy who is super excited waiting for his PAL to arrive... He's just too eager.

If BUDDY doesn't think he has to read and KNOW the rules he probably shouldn't be a gun owner.

Hate to think how he might interpret the hunting regulations.
Old 04-08-2018, 05:27 PM

as long as the person with a pal has the gun in his possession then there is no laws being broken. if he then sells it to the other guy once he gets his pal, that also is legal.
Different storey if the guy with no pal takes the gun home
Old 04-08-2018, 06:04 PM

I agree with beltburner.
Old 04-08-2018, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fifth Wheel View Post
Even more questions...

My son has a RPAL. Suppose I want to go on a long vacation. Would the CFO issue an ATT to transport a restricted firearm to his residence to store in his safe? Would an ATT be issued for him to take it to his range?

I think I know the answer to those questions but never gave them much thought before. The ATT really limits our freedom to do safe and sensible things with our legal firearms and now the government wants to tighten the ATT laws.

Final question: Is this thread even in the right category?
Yes and yes. You would have to write a letter for your son to borrow your firearm and have all paperwork such as registration. His ATT would have to cover him for the type of use.
If he already has a ATT then he would not need one to transport to the range. Only between your house to his and back.