Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 07-03-2018, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave99 View Post
Agreed. I am very conscious about picking calorie-rich foods to keep the weight down in my pack. I have not been able to bring my daily food rations to under 1.7lbs per day without really forcing myself to go hungry, which is something that I am not willing to do.

If your food rations keep you going even at 1.1lbs per day, that’s great. I know would not have the energy and drive without the extra fuel!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks guys, and other suggestions for what else to add? Jerky comes to mind but anything else? I definitely will have to add more. The last two scouting trips I brought a couple extra bars per day. Having only 2000-2500 is calories is ok for a day of two but I'm sure after that I would be feeling tired.
Old 07-03-2018, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshT View Post
Thanks guys, and other suggestions for what else to add? Jerky comes to mind but anything else? I definitely will have to add more. The last two scouting trips I brought a couple extra bars per day. Having only 2000-2500 is calories is ok for a day of two but I'm sure after that I would be feeling tired.
Peanut butter, bacon, and honey on raisin bread...generous portions. Look at calories when you buy your bread and use thick cut bacon. The raisins keep your bread moist and the sandwiches will be fine for a week unrefrigerated. You can work them to about 1200 cals each. 2x per day, plus a generous cup of Costco trail mix for 1000 cals, plus a couple protein bars and a few other packable snacks. Heavier than some foods, but no jet boil required...
Instead of coffee I take a pre-workout with caffeine - mtn ops yeti in green apple tastes decent first thing in the morning.

This is for early season, will take mr noodles and a jet boil late season, along with some tea bags. Still use preworkout for coffee, it helps get my arse going in the morning lol.
Old 07-03-2018, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.B. View Post
Peanut butter, bacon, and honey on raisin bread...generous portions. Look at calories when you buy your bread and use thick cut bacon. The raisins keep your bread moist and the sandwiches will be fine for a week unrefrigerated. You can work them to about 1200 cals each. 2x per day, plus a generous cup of Costco trail mix for 1000 cals, plus a couple protein bars and a few other packable snacks. Heavier than some foods, but no jet boil required..
When I used to ultra-run this is very close to what I would take for big runs. Peanut butter sandwiches, salted mini-potatoes with bacon, trail mix, and some kind of bar for when I needed a quick pick-me-up and maybe some chocolate or whatever for fun.

Would also have some kind of electrolyte whatever in my water like a little gatoraid, coconut water, or nuun tablets.
Old 07-04-2018, 07:19 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.B. View Post
Peanut butter, bacon, and honey on raisin bread...generous portions. Look at calories when you buy your bread and use thick cut bacon. The raisins keep your bread moist and the sandwiches will be fine for a week unrefrigerated. You can work them to about 1200 cals each. 2x per day, plus a generous cup of Costco trail mix for 1000 cals, plus a couple protein bars and a few other packable snacks. Heavier than some foods, but no jet boil required...
Instead of coffee I take a pre-workout with caffeine - mtn ops yeti in green apple tastes decent first thing in the morning.

This is for early season, will take mr noodles and a jet boil late season, along with some tea bags. Still use preworkout for coffee, it helps get my arse going in the morning lol.
some new tricks there, thanks
Old 07-11-2018, 09:16 PM

Here's a tip I wish I would have thought of a long time ago.
I'm always uncertain of how much fuel to bring for my stove. So I started just scratching a tally mark on the fuel canister after each time I boil. When the cans run out I'll be able to know how many boils I get from the different size canisters

Ithe wouldn't work well if you cook food, but all I do is boil water and usually about the same amount each time.
Old 07-12-2018, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fast_pass88 View Post
Here's a tip I wish I would have thought of a long time ago.
I'm always uncertain of how much fuel to bring for my stove. So I started just scratching a tally mark on the fuel canister after each time I boil. When the cans run out I'll be able to know how many boils I get from the different size canisters

Ithe wouldn't work well if you cook food, but all I do is boil water and usually about the same amount each time.
As a general rule, a 100 gram fuel can, boils 12 litres or maybe 900 ml of water, thats my info from past trips
Old 01-31-2021, 04:23 PM

Lets bump this thread and does anybody have a list to post of gear with weight, in your pack.
Old 02-02-2021, 08:47 AM

There was a good write up on here a while back (or maybe somewhere else?) on the use of the gas canister stoves vs the white gas stoves for weight efficiency over short and long trips. The gist of it was the white gas (whisperlite) is more efficient over longer trips >5 days, and the jetboil types are more efficient for shorter trips <5 days. It would vary on how much you used the stove, but that was the idea.
Old 02-02-2021, 09:03 AM

All I know is it’s 204 days till the opener! And I don’t need to pack a rifle this year so that should drop about 9 lbs.
Old 02-02-2021, 12:18 PM

Default Sheep Gear List

Here is a snap shot of my updated list. I now have all my gear on an excel spreadsheet sheet I select yes if it’s going to be packed then I’m able to filter it out. This gear comes in at 44lbs I typically carry one 1L of water for the initial hike in and fill up if we’re going to hike high away from a water source.

Old 02-25-2021, 09:49 AM

Bump for 2021 gear review, going through my gear now will update when I have what I want in my pack.
Old 02-26-2021, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Agreed. I am very conscious about picking calorie-rich foods to keep the weight down in my pack. I have not been able to bring my daily food rations to under 1.7lbs per day without really forcing myself to go hungry, which is something that I am not willing to do.

If your food rations keep you going even at 1.1lbs per day, that’s great. I know would not have the energy and drive without the extra fuel!

I take 16 oz of food per day and consider myself a pretty big eater.
Old 02-26-2021, 10:43 AM

Default Sheep Gear List

Eating fresh is important to our group. You are much better off physically not eating freeze dried garbage IMO. I’ll still pack it in, cache it and have the odd meal. I would rather haul in 10 extra pounds of steak, potatoes, fruit etc than eat bad the whole time. If speed and time are of the essence, like a short weekend trip, I’ll slug down the freeze dried. I’m not fussy in the slightest. I just find my physical performance is vastly better eating fresh. Keep it in the creek at base camp and you’re loving life coming down to eat at night.
Old 02-26-2021, 10:45 AM

Old 02-26-2021, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildwoods View Post

You are so lucky to have horses to haul your kit into the back country, do you know any body that might rent horses to me and my group, right now we have 2 horses we still need 2 more to haul in and out our gear.
Old 02-26-2021, 08:29 PM

Default Sheep Gear List

Quote:
Originally Posted by sillyak View Post
I take 16 oz of food per day and consider myself a pretty big eater.

I don’t doubt you being a big eater. Regardless, I am way above you for food weight despite being very careful to pack as light and calorie rich as I can.

I do need to admit that I have a deathly fear of running short on food...

Pre-mixed oatmeal (with nuts, dried fruit and whey powder) for breakfast, bars and trail mix with some salami and hard cheese and dehydrated apple lunches, and mountain house with supplementary couscous for dinners. And a few ichiban noodles thrown in for good measure.

The freshest foods on our sheep hunts are berries on the hike in, and sheep loin and mountain oysters after a good hunt.

Last edited by dave99; 02-26-2021 at 08:34 PM.
Old 02-26-2021, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nimrod View Post
You are so lucky to have horses to haul your kit into the back country, do you know any body that might rent horses to me and my group, right now we have 2 horses we still need 2 more to haul in and out our gear.
Not sure but Pm me and I might be able to hook you up.

Yes we are very fortunate. And for the record, we’ve hauled in on our backs as well. We don’t always bring the horses (i would say half the time). But I’ll pack fresh no matter what. I just train a little harder in the off-season for the heavier load
Old 02-26-2021, 10:30 PM

Default Sheep Gear List

Quote:
I don’t doubt you being a big eater. Regardless, I am way above you for food weight despite being very careful to pack as light and calorie rich as I can.

Pre-mixed oatmeal (with nuts, dried fruit and whey powder) for breakfast, bars and trail mix with some salami and hard cheese and dehydrated apple lunches, and mountain house with supplementary couscous for dinners. And a few ichiban noodles thrown in for good measure.

The freshest foods on our sheep hunts are berries on the hike in, and sheep loin and mountain oysters after a good hunt.

Haha good call on the loin and oysters. We fried up our oysters too. Not a big hit but was a “must try”. Has some elk oysters too last year and not a huge fan. But edible for sure.

Here’s some sheep ribs at base camp:
Old 03-02-2021, 05:06 PM

Quote:

I used to take more, but kept on coming out with a fair amount of food. What a waste hauling all that around to not eat it!

If I ever think I'm hungry I just think about how hungry Napoleon's troops marching back from Moscow must have been, and they had to walk waaaaaaaaay farther than any of us.
Old 03-08-2021, 05:38 PM

Another valid point but often overlooked:

Get in sheep shape! Guys will spend $10k on a custom rifle to shave ounces while hauling around 20lbs extra around their middles. It's the cheapest way to drop weight and have that "staying power".
Old 03-12-2021, 11:21 AM

Anyone use a hammock/ rain canopy rather than a tent and pad???

Those nylon hammocks fold up and fit in your pocket and weigh next to nothing.
Old 03-12-2021, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharpie View Post
Anyone use a hammock/ rain canopy rather than a tent and pad???

Those nylon hammocks fold up and fit in your pocket and weigh next to nothing.
No hammock for me, no trees to tie on above tree line, no pics of any kind of hammocks where no trees are.
Old 12-20-2021, 06:06 PM

i just received these, to reduce my pack list,
https://www.wiserprecision.com/products/quick-stix
Old 12-20-2021, 07:27 PM

That looks interesting. Are you planning to use for spotter as well? Not packing a tripod would be a good weight savings if the system works well
Old 12-21-2021, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deerfarmer View Post
That looks interesting. Are you planning to use for spotter as well? Not packing a tripod would be a good weight savings if the system works well
If you referring to my post, this wise unit is for my gun stabilizer to shoot from, not for my spotting scope as I do carry my tripod for the spotter.
Old 12-21-2021, 01:31 PM

Quote:
If you referring to my post, this wise unit is for my gun stabilizer to shoot from, not for my spotting scope as I do carry my tripod for the spotter.
But they make a third leg to attach so you can use a spotter. What’s your reasoning for bringing a separate tripod instead of ordering a third leg? I’m definitely intrigued by this product.
Old 12-21-2021, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 270hunter View Post
But they make a third leg to attach so you can use a spotter. What’s your reasoning for bringing a separate tripod instead of ordering a third leg? I’m definitely intrigued by this product.
Wow thanks for the heads up on that 3rd leg, I will add this to my wise unit, did not look at that when i bought the wisestix, Nimrod
Old 12-21-2021, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Wow thanks for the heads up on that 3rd leg, I will add this to my wise unit, did not look at that when i bought the wisestix, Nimrod
Yep no problem. I believe you will need the third leg AND a clip but I’m sure it would be worth it because it eliminates a tripod.
Old 12-21-2021, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 270hunter View Post
Sometimes more is less. I sight in my guns and kill all of my animals off my swivel attached bipods. It’s less than a pound and well worth the penalty to have your rest right in front of you with no fumbling around putting sticks together.

I see lots of sheep/ hunting videos in general where guys are constantly scurrying around looking for the nearest boulder or tree limb to shoot off of. No wonder so many people miss game and shoot poorly!

I’m not knocking these poles. They seem ok. Sometimes a weight penalty for ultimate function is better IMO
Old 12-21-2021, 06:57 PM

Why don’t you guy’s shoot off your pack? Eliminates even more weight.