Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 08-05-2018, 05:06 PM

More than anything else excessive carbs and sugar drive insulin production. Without insulin, too much sugar or glucose in the blood is toxic. Insulin takes the excess, converts it to fat and stores it.
Old 08-05-2018, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by covey ridge View Post
If one were eating a significant amount of carbs all that butter would just be extra calories. If one significantly restricted carbs and did not get carried away with excessive protein the fat would just be burned. More than anything else, excessive barbs,,
Keeping mind there are 9 calories per gram of fat, and only 4 calories per gram of carbohydrate. What’s easier to over-eat, trail mix or bananas?

When people talk about sugary/processed foods like cookies, doughnuts, pizza etc - what those foods are very high in are BOTH carbohydrates & fats. Very calorie dense, without being very satiating. Foods with carbs & fat are very easy to overeat because they stimulate pleasure centers in our brains.

We need to stop picking on individual macronutrients. It’s missing the forrest for the trees
Old 08-05-2018, 05:21 PM

Quote:
More than anything else excessive carbs and sugar drive insulin production. Without insulin, too much sugar or glucose in the blood is toxic. Insulin takes the excess, converts it to fat and stores it.
For people who are active, non-diabetics, this is not a problem.

Being obese reduces insulin sensitivity, not the other way around.

This was a really cool study from a couple years ago that tested the insulin-obesity hypothesis in a metabolic ward.

https://academic.oup.com/ajcn/article/104/2/324/4564649

Pretty cool read if anyone is interested.
Old 08-05-2018, 05:37 PM

Arrow

It may be just me but I have found that when I consume high glycemic index carbs I seem to be always hungry and obsessed with carbs especially the ones that add to the glucose in my blood.

When I restrict the amount and types of carbs I consume and eat more fat, I find that this obsession goes away and I can go longer without food.

I understand that at one time in our history on this planet, our main occupation was finding the next meal to prevent starvation. Prior to winter we probably fed on ripe fruit and put on a bit of chub to get us through the times when food was more difficult to obtain. If we were efficient we stored fat.

Now for many of us we have access to very high sugar content fruit in significant quantity and every day of the year. The problem is that we are seldom in danger of starvation and never burn the stored chub.

As far as science goes, for the most part I think they can be bought. There is good much money in Big Agricculture, Big Food (Fast and Processed) Big Pharma and Big Government.

I understand that Coca Cola funds many studies that influence health and nutritiuion and sugar pops cereal was once labeled as heart healthy.

I also understand that according to the glycemic index a slice of whole wheat bread will raise blood glucose as high as a tablespoon of white table sugar.

As far as bread and butter goes, I will leave the bread and eat the butter.
Old 08-05-2018, 05:48 PM

Quote:
It may be just me but I have found that when I consume high glycemic index carbs I seem to be always hungry and obsessed with carbs especially the ones that add to the glucose in my blood.

When I restrict the amount and types of carbs I consume and eat more fat, I find that this obsession goes away and I can go longer without food.

I understand that at one time in our history on this planet, our main occupation was finding the next meal to prevent starvation. Prior to winter we probably fed on ripe fruit and put on a bit of chub to get us through the times when food was more difficult to obtain. If we were efficient we stored fat.

Now for many of us we have access to very high sugar content fruit in significant quantity and every day of the year. The problem is that we are seldom in danger of starvation and never burn the stored chub.

As far as science goes, for the most part I think they can be bought. There is good much money in Big Agricculture, Big Food (Fast and Processed) Big Pharma and Big Government.

I understand that Coca Cola funds many studies that influence health and nutritiuion and sugar pops cereal was once labeled as heart healthy.

I also understand that according to the glycemic index a slice of whole wheat bread will raise blood glucose as high as a tablespoon of white table sugar.

As far as bread and butter goes, I will leave the bread and eat the butter.

High GI carbohydrates typically contain little to no fiber - which means they are processed and digested much faster than complex carbohydrates (therefore you feel hungry again sooner)

The addition of fat increases the Glycemic load of the meal, and slows down the digestive process (leaving you feeling fuller for longer).

It sounds like you’ve intuitively found this out which is great. Having a strategy in place which keeps you fuller for longer and results in eating less can only be a good thing if someone wants to shed some weight.

As far as scientists and studies being ‘bought’ - absolutely!

The studies I’ve included aren’t going to bat for ‘team carbs’ or ‘team fats’ - rather just comparing the two.

Myself, I don’t subscribe to any particular camp and never force clients to either. I just provide information and help them make practical lifestyle changes that will hopefully become permanent. I couldn’t care less what/when/how they eat as long as they see good results!

My job is simply to facilitate all of that and help them make educated decisions based on available information.
Old 08-05-2018, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muirsy View Post
Keeping mind there are 9 calories per gram of fat, and only 4 calories per gram of carbohydrate. What’s easier to over-eat, trail mix or bananas?

When people talk about sugary/processed foods like cookies, doughnuts, pizza etc - what those foods are very high in are BOTH carbohydrates & fats. Very calorie dense, without being very satiating. Foods with carbs & fat are very easy to overeat because they stimulate pleasure centers in our brains.

We need to stop picking on individual macronutrients. It’s missing the forrest for the trees
If carbs are high, added fat is just extra calories.

For me I have found that high carbs make me fat and raise triglycerides.

For me I have found that to add fat to a significant amount of carb chubs me out.

For me I have found that if my carbs are restricted, I can get away with a lot of fat and fat and protein curbs my hunger.

I am with the guy who said that if bread and butter makes you fat, don’t blame the butter.
Old 08-05-2018, 08:06 PM

Quote:
If carbs are high, added fat is just extra calories.

For me I have found that high carbs make me fat and raise triglycerides.

For me I have found that to add fat to a significant amount of carb chubs me out.

For me I have found that if my carbs are restricted, I can get away with a lot of fat and fat and protein curbs my hunger.

I am with the guy who said that if bread and butter makes you fat, don’t blame the butter.

That’s all great! Personal-preference comes first after-all.

My whole intention with interjecting into this thread was to simply help people understand the underlying reasons why things work or don’t work - not question whether they do or do not.

People get fat because their energy intake exceeds their output for too long. We can choose to take calories out in the form of carbs, fat, protein, or alcohol. Doesn’t matter where you eliminate them from.

So when people say “I lost weight by cutting carbs out”, what they really mean is “I lost weight by reducing my daily calorie intake, and did that through reducing my carbohydrate intake”. For many people (myself included at certain times of my life/year), cutting back on carbohydrates is the most easy/convenient/practical vehicle for reducing my daily calorie intake. There’s no magic in there beyond that.
Old 08-05-2018, 08:12 PM

Red face

Quote:
High GI carbohydrates typically contain little to no fiber - which means they are processed and digested much faster than complex carbohydrates (therefore you feel hungry again sooner)

The addition of fat increases the Glycemic load of the meal, and slows down the digestive process (leaving you feeling fuller for longer).

It sounds like you’ve intuitively found this out which is great. Having a strategy in place which keeps you fuller for longer and results in eating less can only be a good thing if someone wants to shed some weight.

As far as scientists and studies being ‘bought’ - absolutely!

The studies I’ve included aren’t going to bat for ‘team carbs’ or ‘team fats’ - rather just comparing the two.

Myself, I don’t subscribe to any particular camp and never force clients to either. I just provide information and help them make practical lifestyle changes that will hopefully become permanent. I couldn’t care less what/when/how they eat as long as they see good results!

My job is simply to facilitate all of that and help them make educated decisions based on available information.
For me I do not buy the calories in and calories out mantra that has been preached.

I believe the archeologists who say that’d get they can easily tell if ancient remains are from hunter gatherers or farmers. I believe it when they say that they can tell the difference by signs of disease seen in the bones of the farmers.

I think that when carbs are injested insulin reacts to prevent sugar poisoning but the insulin does a bit of overkill and drives blood sugar too low and causes a craving. I believe that the over use of insulin causes one to not be sensitive to insulin and causes all sorts of problems.

I believe that obesity does not cause diabetes, high blood pressure and heart disease etc etc. I believe that all of the above including obesity are symptoms and probably have a common cause. My guess it has something to do with triggering an insulin reaction. If I had to bet I would put my money on excessive carb consumption.

I believe that humans are unique in that we are created to survive and that we can in emergency situations like family we can eat anything. I believe that for many of us there is no emergency but we are eating our emergency rations on a daily basis.
Old 08-05-2018, 08:19 PM

Quote:
For me I do not buy the calories in and calories out mantra that has been preached.

I believe the archeologists who say that’d get they can easily tell if ancient remains are from hunter gatherers or farmers. I believe it when they say that they can tell the difference by signs of disease seen in the bones of the farmers.

I think that when carbs are injested insulin reacts to prevent sugar poisoning but the insulin does a bit of overkill and drives blood sugar too low and causes a craving. I believe that the over use of insulin causes one to not be sensitive to insulin and causes all sorts of problems.

I believe that obesity does not cause diabetes, high blood pressure and heart disease etc etc. I believe that all of the above are symptoms and probably have a common cause. My guess it has something to do with triggering an insulin reaction. If I had to bet I would put my money on excessive carb consumption.

I believe that humans are unique in that we are created to survive and that we can in emergency situations like family we can eat anything. I believe that for many of us there is no emergency but we are eating our emergency rations on a daily basis.

Luckily all of those questions have been answered by people who earn a living studying this area!

Weight loss comparison across ‘all’ diet types (over 7000 people studied)

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25182101/

All of your insulin-carbohydrate-obesity concerns answered;

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/28074888/

You should feel liberated!
Old 08-05-2018, 08:19 PM

Paleo and Keto seem to work for me when other ways did not.

I think that Paleo and/or Keto might work for others but that is for others to decide.
Old 08-05-2018, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Paleo and Keto seem to work for me when other ways did not.
And that’s the most important thing, many people struggle for a lifetime to find something that works, so well done!
Old 08-06-2018, 08:00 AM

Quote:
And that’s the most important thing, many people struggle for a lifetime to find something that works, so well done!
Agreed. I do believe the trial and error process isn’t as bad or as daunting as some might think. Pay attention to what works and doesn’t, log what you are injesting, pay attention to your energy levels on a daily basis.

People prioritize so many other things in life and don’t even realize what there body reacts to both positively and negatively. It’s your true home and true vehicle. Treat it as such..
Old 08-06-2018, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Luckily all of those questions have been answered by people who earn a living studying this area!

Weight loss comparison across ‘all’ diet types (over 7000 people studied)

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25182101/

All of your insulin-carbohydrate-obesity concerns answered;

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/28074888/

You should feel liberated!
It may be just me but I think that the medical professions and the nutritionists, the people we trust to give us the best advice just push what they were taught.

I believe they are well intentioned but wrong in most all of their conclusions. They are so busy trying to treat sick people but for the most part do nothing to promote health.

I think they are wrong when it comes to what causes disease and only do well masking symptoms.

I am 70 my ears old and was a little fat kid when I was younger. Now I am gob struck by the numbers of 14 year old children who are around 200 pounds and the reports of late on set diabetes turning into early onset diabetes.

Something is broken and needs to be fixed. Seems to me that we could learn a few lessons from some who lived long before this culture of disease which we now somehow think of as normal.

I do not think it is about weight but it’s is about health. I have arrived at a point where I have taken my health into my own hands.

I feel healthier for my Own choices.
Old 08-06-2018, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Well said!
Old 08-06-2018, 11:46 AM

Quote:
It may be just me but I think that the medical professions and the nutritionists, the people we trust to give us the best advice just push what they were taught.

I believe they are well intentioned but wrong in most all of their conclusions. They are so busy trying to treat sick people but for the most part do nothing to promote health.

I think they are wrong when it comes to what causes disease and only do well masking symptoms.

I am 70 my ears old and was a little fat kid when I was younger. Now I am gob struck by the numbers of 14 year old children who are around 200 pounds and the reports of late on set diabetes turning into early onset diabetes.

Something is broken and needs to be fixed. Seems to me that we could learn a few lessons from some who lived long before this culture of disease which we now somehow think of as normal.

I do not think it is about weight but it’s is about health. I have arrived at a point where I have taken my health into my own hands.

x2 on everything you've said. Well put. My thoughts exactly.
Old 08-06-2018, 12:21 PM

Quote:

I agree with everything you have said. We are in a strange day and age. We give handicap parking to people that are obese and sedentary, and we allow our provincial health minister to be obese. Say what?????
Old 08-06-2018, 04:37 PM

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1899b View Post
I agree with everything you have said. We are in a strange day and age. We give handicap parking to people that are obese and sedentary, and we allow our provincial health minister to be obese. Say what?????
Several years ago I went to an afternoon group session with a nutritionist so I could better understand the special needs of a relative.

The nutritionist was a young man about 30 years old.He was pushing the Canada food guide and encouraging us to read labels.

Since I switched my eating habits I no longer read many labels. For the most part I try to eat food that has a momma or grows out of the earth.

He also tried to tell us that the food quide allowed up to 11 servings of whole grain food.

That explained our instructor’s man boobs, big gut, jowels and the fact that he wore his shirt outside of his pants and it hung like a maternity dress.

I also attended a cardiac wellness class at the talisman center in Calgary. The staff made up of physical trainers, dietitians and nurses all wore black. Some of the younger females looked great in their spandex, slim and trim. The older gals wore loose clothing and were just down right fat. The staff who were pushing a supposed heart healthy diet were not setting an example of what they were preaching.
Old 08-06-2018, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Several years ago I went to an afternoon group session with a nutritionist so I could better understand the special needs of a relative.

The nutritionist was a young man about 30 years old.He was pushing the Canada food guide and encouraging us to read labels.

Since I switched my eating habits I no longer read many labels. For the most part I try to eat food that has a momma or grows out of the earth.

He also tried to tell us that the food quide allowed up to 11 servings of whole grain food.

That explained our instructor’s man boobs, big gut, jowels and the fact that he wore his shirt outside of his pants and it hung like a maternity dress.

I also attended a cardiac wellness class at the talisman center in Calgary. The staff made up of physical trainers, dietitians and nurses all wore black. Some of the younger females looked great in their spandex, slim and trim. The older gals wore loose clothing and were just down right fat. The staff who were pushing a supposed heart healthy diet were not setting an example of what they were preaching.
I do not doubt a word of what you are saying. It’s unfathomable that the Canada Food Guide is even still in play today. That is a terrible injustice and just bad education....
Old 08-06-2018, 11:26 PM

Quote:

Bang on
There is so much science that is bought and paid for even university science has been since the 70's. the food guide is a perfect example of that.

To the original post.

Coffee is delicious
Butter is delicious,

Put lots of cream in your coffee and lots of butter on your popcorn.
enough with the silly diets

Brad