Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 10-08-2018, 08:20 AM

Default 2 female hunting dogs on property..thoughts?

Hey guys,
looking at getting a couple dogs in the future here and just heard from someone to "never get two females" anyone have experience like this? i guess they were saying that they will probably fight lots and can be a huge problem that's hard to sort out when they grow up. i was hoping to get pups, at the same time, different breeds (visla and GSP ) have them grow up together as one big happy family. dream world?
Old 10-08-2018, 08:52 AM

I have 5 dogs, 4 labs and 1 short hair GSP, they all get along great, well some time they bark at each other, but with 5 dogs they act like a pack, using each other for back up / comfort, and with 2 dogs in your place, they will be more content as they have each other for play time, so yes get 2 dogs, if thats ok with all in your house
Old 10-08-2018, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LandlockedIslander View Post
Hey guys,
looking at getting a couple dogs in the future here and just heard from someone to "never get two females" anyone have experience like this? i guess they were saying that they will probably fight lots and can be a huge problem that's hard to sort out when they grow up. i was hoping to get pups, at the same time, different breeds (visla and GSP ) have them grow up together as one big happy family. dream world?
I’ve got three dogs, a GSP, a bulldog, and a Saint Bernard, I can honestly say all three are better together and have all become better dogs and better socialized dogs by becoming part of a pack, if you can support two dogs you should get two, they’ll be happier, less lonely, and it will work out in the long run,
Old 10-08-2018, 11:04 AM

Two females is no problem IF you are the boss and are consistent.
Old 10-08-2018, 11:07 AM

I also have multiple dogs. Over the last 40 years of my marriage, it has varied from 2 to 7 depending on losses for old age and locating a dog I want to add to the pack. One time, only, 2 of the males decided they would see who was the boss until I reminded them I was, after that peace reigned again.
Old 10-08-2018, 01:27 PM

We've got two female labs six years apart. Never had an issue.
Old 10-08-2018, 04:05 PM

I had had 2 females a couple of times over the years with no issues what so ever. Two females will be just fine
Old 10-08-2018, 07:18 PM

Have seen it go bad twice. Once with two Shepards and once with two labs, both times with experienced owners who were hunters. Heard of a few others as well, seems like it happens often enough to be worth avoiding.

We always had multiple dogs, always got them at different times and never had a problem. IMO get one and once it is trained to your satisfaction, get another one. The older one helps train the pup.
Old 10-09-2018, 01:56 PM

No issue getting two females specifically. The only negative I've read about is more just about getting siblings and the dependencies they can develop. Apparently if not socialized properly with other dogs they can become pretty protective of each other and unsure of how to react to other dogs. If you want them to be well rounded and good with all dogs, just make sure you socialize them in the right environment after they have their shots as you would anyway.
"The world around me disappeared. I caressed the trigger with my index finger, knowing that a scant two pounds of pressure would cause it to unleash the firing pin and set in motion a series of events that would be catastrophic for one of us." - T.J Schwanky
Old 10-09-2018, 03:39 PM

Thanks guys. Sounds no worse than other combinations. Appreciate all the responses.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-09-2018, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LandlockedIslander View Post
Hey guys,
I think you have dogs confused with humans??
Two female dogs...no problem
Two female humans same household....”they will probably fight lots and be a huge problem that’s hard to sort out when they grow up.” 😜