Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 06-16-2010, 07:41 PM
Banned

yes. the interbond from hornady does everything i want performance wise, so when i tried them, i weighed them as i was loading. 130 grain .270's were from 129.8 to 130.1. they shoot very well out of my gun...i dont even know how good because i am not that good...so i have not tried anything else in it. when i saw the weight issue with nosler i weighed the speers i had sitting around and they were awful close as well. it was just the nosler that i saw, and honestly, i wouldnt have known if it wasnt pointed out to me by someone else. before i found the interbond, i tried swift scirocco for a different gun. they weighed out pretty well bang on, and are pretty well identical to the interbond from what i understand, but WOW are they expensive.
Old 06-16-2010, 08:09 PM

So Dale , I went to the garage and weighed 13 140 gr partition bullets. Used a digital scale. Lightest bullet was 139.8 and the heaviest was 140.2 with an average weight of 140.015. Seems pretty good to me. Wadda you think?
Old 06-16-2010, 08:13 PM

I think the whole basis for the argument is like a tidal wave in a tin cup.

-Billy Molls
Old 06-16-2010, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitetailhntr View Post
i used 160 accubonds on an elk a few years back.......gopher bullet at best. Shot from a .280 at normal velocities at about 150 yards broadside,did laser it just don't remember exactly, Blew all to hell and did no penetrate...3 times . Had to finish him off point blank . Never used them since. Anybody want to buy some 7mm 160 gr accubonds? still have a few in the box.
I believe I specifically referenced whitetail deer.

-Billy Molls
Old 06-16-2010, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck View Post
I believe I specifically referenced whitetail deer.
I was agreeing with you ...sorta. I wouldn't even use them on deer anymore.
Old 06-16-2010, 08:23 PM

Quote:
I was agreeing with you ...sorta. I wouldn't even use them on deer anymore.
Did I mention somewhere that I like Barnes bullets?

-Billy Molls
Old 06-16-2010, 08:28 PM
Banned

Quote:
So Dale , I went to the garage and weighed 13 140 gr partition bullets. Used a digital scale. Lightest bullet was 139.8 and the heaviest was 140.2 with an average weight of 140.015. Seems pretty good to me. Wadda you think?
cool...sounds like they got it fixed. from what ive seen, that seems to be about the standard deviation. id like to think it was just a bad run back then. this was like 15 years ago or so. another one i havent tried is berger. im told they are more precise, but i dont know that. this is from the same guy. he shoots a little bit of everything. he said the best he found was a ....something or other J? J38 or something? i cant remember. they were pretty obscure i think, but they used to be advertised in trophy hunter magazine as a great long range bullet.
Old 06-16-2010, 09:32 PM

Quote:
i used 160 accubonds on an elk a few years back.......gopher bullet at best. Shot from a .280 at normal velocities at about 150 yards broadside,did laser it just don't remember exactly, Blew all to hell and did no penetrate...3 times . Had to finish him off point blank . Never used them since. Anybody want to buy some 7mm 160 gr accubonds? still have a few in the box.
Boy thats weird I used 180gr accubonds in my 30-378 accumark on my elk last year and they did exactly what they were supposed to do, went in mushroomed and mushed the lungs. Found one on the inerside of the hide perfectly mushroomed. However used a ballistic type the year before on a whitetail dear and lets just say after two shots we named it the swiss cheese buck, those bullets just seemed to fragment everywhere.

I have just purchased the ttsx to try in my 257 weatherby and so far at the range they are performing well but have not shot any game with them so far.
Old 06-16-2010, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crawfy View Post
Boy thats weird I used 180gr accubonds in my 30-378 accumark on my elk last year and they did exactly what they were supposed to do, went in mushroomed and mushed the lungs. Found one on the inerside of the hide perfectly mushroomed. However used a ballistic type the year before on a whitetail dear and lets just say after two shots we named it the swiss cheese buck, those bullets just seemed to fragment everywhere.

I have just purchased the ttsx to try in my 257 weatherby and so far at the range they are performing well but have not shot any game with them so far.
Glad to see you got the results you liked and hoped for. I'm not doubting your story or anyone else's that use and love accubonds and ballistic tips. I don't like them and don't use them. The partition is the only Nosler bullet I use and they are great.
I too have purchased and loaded some tsx bullets. Initial accuracy was pretty darn good and required no tinkering at all. I will probably tinker a little more before hunting season. If they kill as well as they say they do then i will use them.I'm 98% sure I won't be disapointed.
Old 01-28-2019, 11:07 AM

Default reloading barnes for 33 Nosler

Good Day All
I just recently had a custom made in 33 Nosler. have used Barnes bullets in allot of rifles with great success . Has anyone built a load for this cal.
Imput would be appreciated.
Old 01-28-2019, 02:40 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike0295 View Post
Good Day All
I just recently had a custom made in 33 Nosler. have used Barnes bullets in allot of rifles with great success . Has anyone built a load for this cal.
I'm guessing you mean cartridge? The caliber would include numerous different cartridges.
Old 01-28-2019, 03:49 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike0295 View Post
Good Day All
I think if it's not listed in the Barnes manuel you cam email them and they'll give you the info you require.

Mike I see that on the hodgdon load data site they list the 33 nosler.

Last edited by Norwest Alta; 01-28-2019 at 04:08 PM.
Old 01-28-2019, 07:02 PM

Nosler has etip data that would be a good start point
Old 01-29-2019, 05:52 AM

Default Barnes

The first Barnes X -bullets that came behaved like FMJ's.I had pencil holes on deer /sheep through and through with little to no blood trail obviously.Recovery with most under 150 yards. I had one that didn't open at all on a big 7x7 mule deer stern to brisket under 100 yards.Could load and shoot that bullet again. I called Barnes directly and talked at length with Randy Barnes,he said they had experienced some problems in their early bullets with excessive hardness.I never had any issues with the TSX or TTSX bullets as either would do 40" of moose from any angle. As for the Accu-Bond it always held together with the same penetration but tended to kill the game quicker and more dramatically.You couldn't give me a lifetime supply of "Burgers" for free.......nother story.
Old 01-29-2019, 05:58 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Barnes are a great bullet but....haters going to hate.....so buy a bunch and have at it.....funny how a wee .243 can kill 1000lbs critters....ons shot.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 01-29-2019, 07:30 AM

I love them.

Last edited by kingrat; 01-29-2019 at 07:38 AM.
Old 01-29-2019, 08:16 AM

I like Barnes bullets, but in all honesty they are not needed most of the time. I get to see a lot of game killed, and I have seen barnes fail. IMO you have to have the ability to drive them fast. The faster you can push them the better they work.

For me I wont even consider them unless I can push them close to 3000 fps. They are almost always longer than other other bullets of the same weight so that takes up powder space, especially in short cases like the 308 based family. My experience has been that the Nosler Partition or the good old Hornady Interlocks are about as reliable as a bullet can be.

One thing I will say is that the TTSX bullets are usually very accurate. My biggest beef with them is cost. I shoot a lot, some years I will shoot close to 5000 rounds and the Barnes are just to expensive for that. I found a bunch of 338 caliber Remington Cor Lockts on sale a few years back and have been using them in both a 338 Federal and 338 RCM and performance has been outstanding. I've taken 5-bison with them, a couple of moose/caribou and a bear or two. They work great and were less than half the price of the Barnes.
Old 01-29-2019, 08:26 AM

There is no perfect bullet- period !
One can find bullet “failures “ with any brand you want to pick .
Just grab a viler you like, test it for accuracy and use it!
Crap the Berger guys crap all over the monometal guys , the monometal guys crap all the cup and core guys - then there are the guys who somehow can use several different types of bullets in the same cartridge in the same rifle with no issues .
Stunning, really when you think about it .
Cat
Old 01-29-2019, 08:35 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
Crap the Berger guys crap all over the monometal guys , the monometal guys crap all the cup and core guys - then there are the guys who somehow can use several different types of bullets in the same cartridge in the same rifle with no issues .
Cat

This post should be copied and pasted in EVERY bullet thread.

But then again, it would kill a lot of threads, the truth has no place in a good argument.
Old 01-29-2019, 01:10 PM

Great topic!
have only used the old style X in 243. {95 gr i think}
They always just drilled a hole and never opened up.
Printed nice. Killed deer more to placement than shock and awe.
The newer versions seem to have their following, but I have come to the view at least in the 6mms they are over priced and not needed as a deer round.
I do have a full box of 50 in 270 gr for my 375 H&H but haven't still used them.
Hopefully the next Wainright moose hunt. Or maybe I'll just sell them.lol
Not cutting down anyone that uses them but I believe the monolithic bullet craze is just good marketing.
Old 01-29-2019, 01:17 PM

Default Unless

You live in California and can't use lead bullets.Hopefully never here.
Old 01-29-2019, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
Cat
X3 Nothing more to say.
Old 01-29-2019, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatrack View Post
TSX work great for me (.270 & .243) and the wife with mostly pass throughs and no bullets recovered. My experience has been you need to give them lots of jump before they hit the rifling in order to get accuracy.
I agree, minimun 50 thou. jump suggested by Barnes. Best results for me have been 70 thou. I have been using them for years and still have some of the first XLC bullets. Only recovered 2 but worked as advertised and weighed only 1 gr less than when they were loaded. They do like velocity. Only bullet I use for hunting.
Old 01-30-2019, 10:59 AM

Nothing like bringing a thread back from the dead. Some things never change I guess.