Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 05-30-2019, 07:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aardvaark View Post
Andrew Lake Lodge, caught some nice fish up there.
I'm pretty sure they don't catch 40-pound Lakers there

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Old 05-30-2019, 07:37 AM

Thanks for the replies ,any more first hand info
Old 05-30-2019, 10:12 AM

Lac La Martre, Cree Lake and Lake Athabasca are good bets for giants. Not to mention 3 of the best on the planet for massive Northerns too !!!!!
Old 05-30-2019, 10:30 AM

Ena Lake Saskatchewan is another possibility. It's a membership lodge for the most part, but they are offering some spots to the public. Pricey, but it is all inclusive. The lake record is 48 lbs for lakes and 52" for pike. This is based on very few people fishing this lake. Lakers between 30 and 40 lbs are pretty common. It's the only development on the lake and only float plane accessible. I'm heading there from the 1st to 5th of July for the first time so will report back.
Old 05-30-2019, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotok View Post
Ena Lake Saskatchewan is another possibility. It's a membership lodge for the most part, but they are offering some spots to the public. Pricey, but it is all inclusive. The lake record is 48 lbs for lakes and 52" for pike. This is based on very few people fishing this lake. Lakers between 30 and 40 lbs are pretty common. It's the only development on the lake and only float plane accessible. I'm heading there from the 1st to 5th of July for the first time so will report back.
Thanks that was another one I was trying to remember

Old 05-30-2019, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guru fisher View Post
Lac La Martre, Cree Lake and Lake Athabasca are good bets for giants. Not to mention 3 of the best on the planet for massive Northerns too !!!!!
Have fished Lac LaMarte a few times. You will be hard pressed to get over 32 pounds there. No experience with Cree Lake, Lake Athabasca, never heard of a 40 LB on rod and reel out of there. The long term most likely places to catch Lake Trout that big are East arm of Slave Lake and Great Bear Lake. Not cheap but best bet for plus 40 on a rod and reel. Great Bear still holds the world record as far as I know and would still be my first pick for really large Lake Trout.
Old 05-30-2019, 12:33 PM

Wish they had a 3-day package here Unfortunately they only have seven days and it's going to run about 6500 bucks with tips Hotel Air transport to Yellowknife might have to go to Slave Lake

Old 05-30-2019, 01:22 PM

To far to go for 3 days. I guided at Bear a few years. Macintosh Bay, shipwreck and the Inlet fly out for the super hogs !!!!
Old 05-30-2019, 01:24 PM

And the stockyards at Neiland. The legendary Patty Alexander’s reef of giants to but that spot goes to the grave with me. Not far from the main lodge Neiland Bay though
Old 05-30-2019, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 35 whelen View Post
Wish they had a 3-day package here Unfortunately they only have seven days and it's going to run about 6500 bucks with tips Hotel Air transport to Yellowknife might have to go to Slave Lake

If you want to do it cheaper do what we do. Take an inflatable with an 8 horse motor, tents, your own food etc. Drive to Yellowknife, makes a nice adventure, get Air Tindi to fly you in and out with their Twin Otter. Camp on an island, way less chance of Bears. No wood there so need a stove to cook with. We take some firewood for small campfires in the evening. Three guys can go for a week for about $1,200- $2,000 a head. You can take 6 in one trip, which reduces the price per head, but you need two boats.
Old 05-30-2019, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
If you want to do it cheaper do what we do. Take an inflatable with an 8 horse motor, tents, your own food etc. Drive to Yellowknife, makes a nice adventure, get Air Tindi to fly you in and out with their Twin Otter. Camp on an island, way less chance of Bears. No wood there so need a stove to cook with. We take some firewood for small campfires in the evening. Three guys can go for a week for about $1,200- $2,000 a head. You can take 6 in one trip, which reduces the price per head, but you need two boats.
No thanks I've been on enough big lakes and big waves I want to be guided

Old 05-30-2019, 02:16 PM

Quote:
No thanks I've been on enough big lakes and big waves I want to be guided

Your missing half the fun. I guess I ran big water and big saves so long on my own it doesn't phase me at all. Fishing Walleye tournaments on Erie, Lac St Claire, Superior and Lesser Slave will get you used to BIG waves in a hurry.

Trick is to Camp close to where you want to fish. Guru's suggestion are sound. Even a 16 foot Lund and a 40 horse outboard with the best driver is only good for so much big water. If it is blowing hard you will be sitting on shore drinking a nice glass of Crown anyhow but I do get where you are coming from.

No such thing as guided northern lakes for cheap unfortunately. Costs a lot to run a lodge for 120 days a year in a remote area.
Old 05-30-2019, 03:23 PM

Yeah I'm not looking for cheap just under 5 grand and for some reason after I stopped guiding I got a deathly fear of big water

Old 05-30-2019, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Yeah I'm not looking for cheap just under 5 grand and for some reason after I stopped guiding I got a deathly fear of big water

Alternate suggestion, do a self fly in to the Tree River when the Char are running. We caught one a few years ago over 30 pounds, just short of the world record. You are fishing from shore, no big water to worry about. There are so many fish your arms will get tired. We were about 4 miles from the ocean, you could walk the shore all the way to the ocean and about 4 miles upstream to a set of big rapids. Char fight way better than LT and on fly gear they are an absolute hoot.
Old 05-30-2019, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
Alternate suggestion, do a self fly in to the Tree River when the Char are running. We caught one a few years ago over 30 pounds, just short of the world record. You are fishing from shore, no big water to worry about. There are so many fish your arms will get tired. We were about 4 miles from the ocean, you could walk the shore all the way to the ocean and about 4 miles upstream to a set of big rapids. Char fight way better than LT and on fly gear they are an absolute hoot.
I've done that I ran the camp for two years in the 90s did you swim in the Arctic Ocean

Old 05-30-2019, 05:13 PM

Smile Go For It !

If you put that $1500 or $2k into perspective of a once in a lifetime present to yourself, it might be easier to swallow..
There is nothing comparable, and I have seen the weather on Great Bear and it can become a nightmare, quickly.
If you compare it to Guiding trips on the Bow, out of Calgary at $600 per day plus $100 tip it really is good deal.
You are going to a place where few tread..
Perhaps commit to going and cut down on some other non essential things..
I have 240 pictures of that trip with my Dad that I enjoy once a year and it was the Greatest trip of my Life !!
Period..
James
Bow River Fly-fishing Guide
Old 05-30-2019, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jfs View Post
If you put that $1500 or $2k into perspective of a once in a lifetime present to yourself, it might be easier to swallow..

There is nothing comparable, and I have seen the weather on Great Bear and it can become a nightmare, quickly.

If you compare it to Guiding trips on the Bow, out of Calgary at $600 per day plus $100 tip it really is good deal.

You are going to a place where few tread..

Perhaps commit to going and cut down on some other non essential things..

I have 240 pictures of that trip with my Dad that I enjoy once a year and it was the Greatest trip of my Life !!

Period..

James

Bow River Fly-fishing Guide
Good advice I love to do that. It definitely is my goal to get up toGreat Bear
.it might be tough to find a partner though I've been trying to convince a few people that is definitely a once-in-a-lifetime Adventure

Old 05-30-2019, 06:02 PM

Default Great Bear

Don't worry about booking a single trip.
I am sure that you will be well taken care of and will meet new friends etc..
I often go for trips on my own now and like the freedom of making my own choice without compromise for other people..
I am dealing with Cancer in my small remaining family now.
I have 2 sisters left and they are both dealing with CANCER..
You never know what is next in life and my advice is to extend yourself.
I don't want to be on my death bed going, I wished I worked more..
Your hard earned retirement can disappear with a tough health challenge.
Book that trip..
Take it and come to Calgary and I will take you for a Bow River trip, for free and you can tell me all about it..
James
Old 05-30-2019, 08:05 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jfs View Post
Don't worry about booking a single trip.
I am sure that you will be well taken care of and will meet new friends etc..
I often go for trips on my own now and like the freedom of making my own choice without compromise for other people..
I am dealing with Cancer in my small remaining family now.
I have 2 sisters left and they are both dealing with CANCER..
You never know what is next in life and my advice is to extend yourself.
I don't want to be on my death bed going, I wished I worked more..
Your hard earned retirement can disappear with a tough health challenge.
Book that trip..
Take it and come to Calgary and I will take you for a Bow River trip, for free and you can tell me all about it..
James
Very wise and well said. I couldn't agree more. If Laker fishing and seeing that part of the country is on your wish list DO IT.. The whole trip sounds amazing and so worth it.
Old 05-30-2019, 08:43 PM

Thanks I've already had an offer from a member to go with me, the more I keep reading these posts the more I'm going to do it .good friend of mine just passed away at 45 you never know.

Old 05-30-2019, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Did you see any In the 35 to 40 + range being caught up there

A couple guests would come back at supper time and said they were around the 35lb mark. But didn’t see any pics to support.

One day I landed a 27lb and then lost a much bigger one an hour or so later.

Lots of great suggestions on this post. I don’t think you can go wrong with any of them. The beauty of the area will create so many memories even if you don’t hit your goal for size of fish.
Old 05-30-2019, 10:08 PM

Price vs reward.

There is only one lake that you have a decent chance of catching a 40 lber and it has already been mentioned many times.

A few other lakes give you the chance of catching a 40 lber but the key word is chance.
Old 05-31-2019, 05:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavYak View Post
Price vs reward.

There is only one lake that you have a decent chance of catching a 40 lber and it has already been mentioned many times.

A few other lakes give you the chance of catching a 40 lber but the key word is chance.
Yes I know which lake is the one to go to just have to get it into my head of paying 6Grand I know it'll be a worthwhile experience. And now I have a possible partner to go with we'll see what happens keep posting the Big Lake trout pictures can't get enough of them

Old 05-31-2019, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Yes I know which lake is the one to go to just have to get it into my head of paying 6Grand I know it'll be a worthwhile experience. And now I have a possible partner to go with we'll see what happens keep posting the Big Lake trout pictures can't get enough of them

I know one of their guides, he said to book at Trophy Lodge if you want to catch a big one. They do catch big ones at main lodge but trophy lodge is named as such for a reason.

You are right, not cheap. 6k usd actually over 8k cad... I would have a tough time spending that on a fishing trip but its one of your only options to fish up there. Other top lakes aren't cheap either other then the few you can pretty much drive to.
Old 05-31-2019, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavYak View Post
I know one of their guides, he said to book at Trophy Lodge if you want to catch a big one. They do catch big ones at main lodge but trophy lodge is named as such for a reason.

You are right, not cheap. 6k usd actually over 8k cad... I would have a tough time spending that on a fishing trip but its one of your only options to fish up there. Other top lakes aren't cheap either other then the few you can pretty much drive to.
Yes with tips and airfare and hotels 8k is a little out of my reach ,should have fished there when I worked at Tree river
Old 05-31-2019, 09:02 AM

Quote:

Here's a 43" x 45 lber caught at Ena Lake last year. I can only hope.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Steve's Trout (002).jpg (73.2 KB, 78 views)
Old 05-31-2019, 10:04 AM

I've fished a week at Lake Athabasca 3 times over the years and haven't caught but seen 7 40lb+ fish during my stays by other anglers. Cheaper option too.
Old 05-31-2019, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinefredCommander View Post
I've fished a week at Lake Athabasca 3 times over the years and haven't caught but seen 7 40lb+ fish during my stays by other anglers. Cheaper option too.
Yes I'm looking into them also what's your biggest out of three trips

Old 05-31-2019, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Yes I'm looking into them also what's your biggest out of three trips

36lbs. 27 over 30lbs.
Old 05-31-2019, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinefredCommander View Post
36lbs. 27 over 30lbs.