Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 07-24-2019, 07:12 AM

Default Slime

I have owned a Kubota BX2350 for the past 11 years. Great little tractor.

In the past year, a slow leak developed in the right front tire (18X8.50-10). No holes found, valve stem fine, so I suspect the bead. Was thinking maybe buying a tube however, they are hard to find.

A friend suggested to use "Slime", commonly found at CT.

I never used the stuff before...any insight?

Thanx in advance.
Old 07-24-2019, 07:34 AM

I had the same problem on my Kubota only after a couple of years. I took the tires into repair numerous times and the tire shops said there was nothing wrong with it. Finally took it back to the dealer and they told me the rims are not the best so they recommend installing tubes. Haven't had a problem in years on the front tires.
Old 07-24-2019, 07:49 AM

Dont use slime, its a total pain in the ass. Consider it as a last ditch, get me somewhere safe option only.

I think every tire shop charges extra to work on a tire that has been slimed because they have to clean it out to make any kind of repair. You will never be able to do a field repair until you have cleaned it out. Depending on the brand you might never get a good repair again. It also makes one hell of a mess when you have to break the bead and take the tire off. It can plug up your valve stem. If you have TPMS sensors it can wreak havoc on some as well.

If they suspect the bead is at fault there are specific bead sealing products. The easiest way would be to spray soapy water around the tire, bead and stem. Sometimes you have to dunk the whole tire to find the pinhole leaks.

"The problem was this little thing called the government and laws."
Old 07-24-2019, 08:54 AM

You might have to take the tire off and polish the beads with a wire brush. If too badly pitted, you might have to use epoxy to fill in the pits.
Old 07-24-2019, 09:30 AM

I have done rim repairs on these tractor rims be for. Some you can weld and some need boots and tubes
Old 07-24-2019, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil McCracken View Post
I have owned a Kubota BX2350 for the past 11 years. Great little tractor.

In the past year, a slow leak developed in the right front tire (18X8.50-10). No holes found, valve stem fine, so I suspect the bead. Was thinking maybe buying a tube however, they are hard to find.

A friend suggested to use "Slime", commonly found at CT.

I never used the stuff before...any insight?

Thanx in advance.
Princess Auto sells tubes, when I had to find an odd size I was recommended to call Fountain Tire in Cochrane. Surprisingly they stocked it, they deal with a lot of the ranching community.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#I Am An Outdoorsman And I Approve This Message

#creativity can't wait for technology
Old 07-24-2019, 10:12 AM

The only people I hear say bad things about slime is tire shops.
Keeping air in garden tractor tires has been a lifelong struggle for me. I dont know why, but I cant keep air in them. Slime has solved that problem for me.
I'll gladly pay extra when the time comes to replace the tire, because the time I've saved airing up all 4 tires is worth at least that much.
Old 07-24-2019, 11:01 AM

I wouldn’t use Green Slime on a passenger vehicle unless it was a last ditch effort to get you to a tire shop for proper repairs.

I’ve used it on everything else from quad tires to wheelbarrows with great luck. My pressure washer has pneumatic tires on it and I could never keep them aired up. A little Green Slime and 3 years later they have not gone flat on me.

I wouldn’t hesitate to use it in something like a tractor tire, but I’m not expert so take my recommendation for what it’s worth...
Old 07-24-2019, 11:27 AM

I used slime to fix an airbag on a sprayer once. Was just to see if it would and it worked for three years until I sold it.
Old 07-24-2019, 08:25 PM

Just put a tube in and forget about it. Should have been there from factory anyway.