Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 07-29-2019, 08:52 AM

Default Biggest saskatoons I’ve ever seen

Well I didn’t want to jump on the other thread about white saskatoons.
Yesterday we struggled to pick saskatoons, and ended up with about a gallon but here’s the thing.

One bush had huge berries bigger than the biggest pumped up commercial blueberry. It was in interesting bush, very gnarly not like others. So it got me to wondering, is it a different species than the other saskatoons or is it just the right time for that particular bush to produce big berries?
Old 07-29-2019, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarychef View Post
Well I didn’t want to jump on the other thread about white saskatoons.
Yesterday we struggled to pick saskatoons, and ended up with about a gallon but here’s the thing.

One bush had huge berries bigger than the biggest pumped up commercial blueberry. It was in interesting bush, very gnarly not like others. So it got me to wondering, is it a different species than the other saskatoons or is it just the right time for that particular bush to produce big berries?
I was at a friends place last weekend in Edmonton. He has bushes on his property. The saskatoons were the biggest I've ever seen. He said it was also the biggest they had ever been. Must be some good growing conditions this year.
Old 07-29-2019, 09:53 AM

I’ve noticed the same thing. We have two kinds, Thiessen and Northline. Usually the Thiessen are the biggest; this year the Northline are by far the biggest and most productive.

They seem to take turns, kind of like apple trees - but when you think about it, apples and saskatoons are genetically related so maybe they share that trait.

Our problem this year is birds. In the past we’ve suffered the odd crow or magpie, but this year its swarms of cedar waxwings and robins. Between what they eat, peck, and knock to the ground, we’re losing more than half.
Old 07-29-2019, 10:16 AM

We don't get any saskatoons within 2 feet of the ground, because the dog eats everything he can reach.
I do notice that our wild saskatoons are usually smaller than our tame plant in the garden. I assumed it was from selective breeding. But I guess it could be from the manure and fertilizer that the garden gets.
Old 07-29-2019, 05:15 PM

Default Biggest saskatoons

We have been out picking, and have noticed that they are bigger than normal this year for sure. Maybe from all the rain we’ve gotten. Picked 3 gallons on Saturday morning.
Old 07-29-2019, 09:19 PM

That’s a for sure maybe!
Old 07-29-2019, 09:25 PM

I've consumed a bloody half of an ice cream pail in less than 24 hours . Love them. Now worried about the Purple Rain tomorrow. THank god for wipes and Penatin cream.

"Me neither but it's all in the eye of the beer holder"
norwestalta

.....out of bounds.....but funny none the less!

LC

"Funny how when a bear eats another bear, no one bats an eye, but......

when a human eats another human, people act like it's the end if the friggin world. News coverage, tweets, blogs, outrage, Piers Morgan etcetc.

Go figure." -Huntinstuff
Old 07-29-2019, 09:28 PM

Big juicy saskatoons make for the best juice ever. Put a couple gallons of saskatoons through the juicer to make a quart or two of blue nectar. Ice cold on a hot day it is the tastiest beverage there is.
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 07-29-2019, 09:36 PM
Banned

Climate change...Thank me later
Old 07-29-2019, 10:19 PM

Any areas around Calgary for picking? Saw a few in Glenbow but where else is there?
Old 07-29-2019, 11:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raptor View Post
Any areas around Calgary for picking? Saw a few in Glenbow but where else is there?
Lotsa places
Old 07-29-2019, 11:51 PM

I have a u -pick north of Prince Albert Sk and have a great crop, and the bears have had a real feast along with the birds, i have gone down to the orchard early in the morning with Bart the dog and let him pee on the perimeter and fired of 4-5 rounds with the shotgun, and same in the evening and the bears have not been back. Lots of bird damage in the Theissen not so much in the Northline.

I am finding less and less people want to U- pick they just want pre pic and packaged berries. Oh well as long as they pay the price me and my picker are happy.
Old 07-30-2019, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobM View Post
I have a u -pick north of Prince Albert Sk and have a great crop, and the bears have had a real feast along with the birds, i have gone down to the orchard early in the morning with Bart the dog and let him pee on the perimeter and fired of 4-5 rounds with the shotgun, and same in the evening and the bears have not been back. Lots of bird damage in the Theissen not so much in the Northline.

I am finding less and less people want to U- pick they just want pre pic and packaged berries. Oh well as long as they pay the price me and my picker are happy.
I’d probably buy them already picked too. For some reason I really like picking wild berries but I wouldn’t get the same thrill at a u-pick.

May I ask, do you use a mechanical picker?
Old 07-30-2019, 08:03 AM

Default saskatoons

One of my Springer hunting dogs likes to eat the saskatoons you drop on ground while picking. Also coyotes eat a lot of the ones on lower branches.
Old 07-30-2019, 12:25 PM

Lots of bird damage in the Theissen not so much in the Northline.

It's odd you should mention that, I've had the exact same experience. I suspect it's because the Theissen came on earlier that had something to do with it.

Maybe they ate themselves to death by the time the Northlines came ripe.