Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 09-26-2019, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xiph0id View Post
The light thread got me thinking if I'm the only one.

When hunting my favorite zone 349 that there are lots of grizz and wolves, I get the hibby gebbies walking in the dark in those areas.

If I'm going to a stand or to sit a cut block, I walk in at legal light and not before. I also generally stop my hunting in time to get back to the truck at last shot.

I'll bushwack all day long but come dark...

Am a puss or is anyone else in the same boat as me?
I quite often wait until legal light to walk in, but mostly because on occasion I've spooked the only game I see all day on the walk in. Or because the terrain I am hunting can not safely be navigated in the dark.

As far as toothy things, I think its good to realise that one is not necessarily at the top of the food chain in the bush, but much like the game I chase its simply something I know, not something I fear.
Old 09-26-2019, 08:38 PM

I've hunted almost every way there is except tree stand and i like to be in truck or camp come dark Hehe don't always work that way
Old 09-26-2019, 09:25 PM

Have been walking into a field to hunt deer, well before legal light and found it creepy to have a pair of moose strolling across the field; they are hard to discern in the dark!

Grew up NW of Edmonton, so short days in mid-winter. Sometimes we were running late to feed the cattle. I used to hate walking up to a hay bale stack and suddenly have a flock of Hungarian partridge suddenly burst into action an fly away, when you got within a couple of steps of them. Was already nervous due to the dark and that sudden noise and flapping of wings was NOT welcome!
Old 09-26-2019, 09:52 PM

Nothing in the dark that isn’t there in the light
Old 09-27-2019, 08:53 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikeslayer22 View Post
Nothing in the dark that isn’t there in the light
True but some hunt at night and sleep during the day.....

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 09-27-2019, 11:05 AM

Going in before first light it's lights off when we get closer to the area we are setting up at. After dark on the way out I used to blow the predator call and my kids would be on high alert back to the truck. Now on the way out I never blow the call because the kids can out run me.
Old 09-27-2019, 12:03 PM

Now that I’m a dad and I’ve had a friend killed by a bear I only hunt in the mountains with someone else, that way I feel comfortable about staying til dark then walking out and it eliminates most of the risk. Farm country I stay out past dark and use a light walking out so I don’t have problems with other people thinking I’m a deer
Old 09-27-2019, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slough shark View Post
Now that I’m a dad and I’ve had a friend killed by a bear I only hunt in the mountains with someone else, that way I feel comfortable about staying til dark then walking out and it eliminates most of the risk. Farm country I stay out past dark and use a light walking out so I don’t have problems with other people thinking I’m a deer
exactly, at dusk in ranch country its boom boom everywhere and the hair goes up on neck for the two-legged predators, had an interesting incident in mountains that has always stayed in my mind, had knocked down a cow elk by myself and by time dressing out it got dark so decided to come back in morning with brother to help me pack it out, coming back in morning, grizzly had covered everyone of my tracks from truck to ridge, when got close to kill grizzly was enjoying fall meal and shots over his head barely raised an interest on his part, reported the kill and had it posted by fish and game to warn unsuspecting hunters and kissed that draw goodbye
Old 09-27-2019, 09:08 PM

Got me thinking, what happens if you shoot an elk 2 miles back with 30 min of light left. Find him, gut it and take a quarter back with you. Go back for second quarter. By this time it's midnight and your exhausted and decide to come back tomorrow for the remaining quarters. But how does that work with tags, would the quarter you take home that night need the tags, but then no quarters you haul out the next day would have a tag? Hmm.?
Old 09-27-2019, 09:21 PM

I get more and more hesitant as the years go by and the trail cam pics pile up and news from landowners/leasholders revolves more around the bear's around.

I hunt forest fringe/farmland for elk and I wouldn't say there is an incredible amount of bears around but the problem is the real thick cover is concentrated. This is the same type of cover that elk choose to bed in and also most comfortable for yogey. If your huntin elk around here you are putting yourself in a situation to run into a bear at any time. I have been fortunate to not have any bad run ins so far but it seems like just a matter of time. Checked one of my cams yesterday and looks like I missed a mom and at least 2 cubs by about two hours.
Old 09-27-2019, 09:31 PM

Just to add (sorry if I'm getting off topic) there is a study being done to try and get a hold of how many bears are in the farmland between highway 11 and highway 1 right now. If you have a chance to pick up any grizz scat in this area bring it down to the Sundre fish and game office.

This info was provided to me by the Mountainview Bear smart society so any further questions ask them
Old 09-27-2019, 11:02 PM

When I was younger like high school age myself a buddy and buddy’s Uncle used to bait the Spring Bear Season. We would head up to the cabin Friday after school and hunt and re-bait every weekend while the season was open. We would hunt Friday Saturday and Sunday evenings then head back for our week of school. We would always walk into the stands/baits about 4-5 pm and sit until it was pitch dark. Then walk back out about a mile to the quads. On more then one occasion it was a little unnerving getting back to the quad and the bears had eaten the seat off the quad. Also the one stand we had to walk across a narrow beaver dam to get too it which also could be a little tricky in the pitch black walk back out. I remember nights when there would be a sow and cubs at the bait those nights a guy was a little more nervous walking back out for sure. Those nights when momma and cubs were around I would usually leave the stand a little earlier.
Old 09-28-2019, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pasc43 View Post
Got me thinking, what happens if you shoot an elk 2 miles back with 30 min of light left. Find him, gut it and take a quarter back with you. Go back for second quarter. By this time it's midnight and your exhausted and decide to come back tomorrow for the remaining quarters. But how does that work with tags, would the quarter you take home that night need the tags, but then no quarters you haul out the next day would have a tag? Hmm.?
Also in case of 3 point, 6 point, and even antlerless head come to. Or even tied up in a tree a wayss away from the kill. Pictures on the phone lots of them. I have even taken pictures with tag affixed to the leg when drag out of bush
Old 09-28-2019, 09:37 AM

Default walk after dark

Few years back, walking out after dark elk hunting, had very large grizz waiting for me on cutline, took three shots over his head, he growled at me whole time and thrashed brush. Not a nice experience, especially last few miles to camp!
Old 09-29-2019, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
True but some hunt at night and sleep during the day.....
Haha...yup the day I am scared to walk in the bush at dark I will take up knitting