Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 12-30-2019, 10:58 PM

Default Zamboni

Just started fabbing a mini zamboni for the slough Ice skating rink at my neighbors place! I’ve got a garden cart with a barrel mounted on top that will be pulled by the quad! I will fill with hot water and it has a drag behind that will be supplied by 1” vinyl tube that will be spread by a 6’ wide bar with a towel behind. I tried posting pics but can’t with our slow internet!! Looking for any suggestions or tips from any professional home rink builders!! Kids are having a great time with this build, I hope it works!
Old 12-31-2019, 12:14 PM

We run something very close to what you have described. Make sure you have plenty of water to your towel, it needs to stay saturated at all times.... make sure you use hot water.

Good luck!
Old 12-31-2019, 03:49 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigbuckwsm View Post
Just started fabbing a mini zamboni for the slough Ice skating rink at my neighbors place! I’ve got a garden cart with a barrel mounted on top that will be pulled by the quad! I will fill with hot water and it has a drag behind that will be supplied by 1” vinyl tube that will be spread by a 6’ wide bar with a towel behind. I tried posting pics but can’t with our slow internet!! Looking for any suggestions or tips from any professional home rink builders!! Kids are having a great time with this build, I hope it works!
Built something similar. Learned to use metal piping not plastic PVC. Thats if you want it to last more than a season.
How about making some drop down skates so you don't have the tires on the ice? Easier to pull around?

If this is down on the pond, how are you going to get hot water to it?
Cold is better than nothing but hot works better.
What are you doing for boards? Just snow banks?

Cool idea.. Have some fun
Old 12-31-2019, 05:48 PM

Tried out the small experimental version of the zamboni today, it worked quite amazing!! I just used a small camping water jug, neighbor has hot water piped into his garage to fill. I thought I’d downsize a bit before going whole hog on the big one for testing purposes! The kids were impressed, apparently dad has some Smarts! Lol
Just snowbank boards and a lot of space, blade on the quad makes clearing the ice quick!