Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 01-09-2020, 01:00 PM

Default Keeping Kids Feet Warm Ice Fishing

Does anyone have any great ideas on how to keep a child’s (5 year old) feet warmer while ice fishing? We always set up our tent with a propane heater in it so the area itself isn’t too cold and I started putting down foam mats on the floor so her boots aren’t in direct contact with the ice/snow. I don’t want to get the temperature in the tent too warm however where everything starts melting. I also already use those disposable toe warmers in her boots but even then she has cold toes by the end of the day. I could try out other boots for her but I find with small feet like that, the feet just cool off way quicker. I also don’t want massive boots that she can’t walk in properly when we’re moving around so I have been looking to see if there are any boot covers I could slip over her boots when sitting in the tent to provide some extra warmth but haven’t found anything that works for kid sizes. I am thinking I may even try getting adult boot liners and using those as covers for her boots while she’s sitting in the tent. Does anyone have any other tips or tricks to try out?
Old 01-09-2020, 01:26 PM

I put my daughter in a sleeping bag in her chair or on a cott. I more complaints of cold fishes when she wants sleeps when she wants plays on her iPad when she wants eats when she wants.

I fish.

BW
Old 01-09-2020, 01:51 PM

I have tried everything with my kids. The only thing that has worked is physical activity to circulate some blood around. We leave the tent and go play outside for a while.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-09-2020, 03:15 PM

I used to put on a light pair of socks then a plastic grocery bag then another heavier pair of socks then my boots when i was a young pup. I remember it making a difference in warmth. Maybe worth a shot.
Old 01-09-2020, 03:44 PM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

give'em the hand crank ice auger and tell them to drill a hole...they will heat up quick and get some exercise...plus you get another hole drilled.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 01-09-2020, 04:45 PM

Keep the head warm = warm feet. Don’t wear super thick socks and avoid cotten. Quality pair of winter boots (Not easy to find good kids boots).
Old 01-09-2020, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave99 View Post
I have tried everything with my kids. The only thing that has worked is physical activity to circulate some blood around. We leave the tent and go play outside for a while.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I agree. I have a 5 and (almost) 4 year old. They last about 2 hours tops. They love bringing their shovels which keeps them moving for a while usually. Our fishing trips are not really about fishing at this stage... We’re there to catch some outdoor fun.
Old 01-09-2020, 08:31 PM

Gotta watch, being too warm might be what is making her cold at the end of the day. If her feet are sweating because of the toe warmers etc then as soon as soon as the warmers cool off she will be cold. If that is maybe the problem bring extra socks/boots and keep them in a warm spot (hanging from tent ceiling etc) and then swap out if she starts to get cold.

Having energy to burn is a big part of staying warm too. Bring lots of snacks and some hot chocolate etc.

Then there is boredom. If bored, cold will set in. If she is entertained will stay warmer longer.
Old 01-09-2020, 09:09 PM

Thanks for all the tips. I never thought about the sleeping bag. Might give that a try. And definitely understand the need for good gear, especially the proper socks to keep the feet dry. We often go when it’s fairly cold and windy (but my 5 year old is a trooper and always wants to come along - something I’m happy for) so we have to spend most of the time on the tent which eliminates some options for staying active outdoors. And she’s now also set on catching a fish all by herself so she’s spending more time with me actually fishing in the tent. She’s reeled in a few that I’ve hooked into for her and caught a few perch on her own but she’s now determined to catch a pike all by herself. When she’s not trying to fish, she’s usually snacking so we have that part covered and we always have to have hot chocolate. She gets a lot of entertainment of watching the action (when there is some) on the camera and is quite content watching her hook on the camera for a few hours. I’m just really glad about all the time she wants to spend with me out there and we seem to have figured out everything else (other than keeping the toes fully warm). I’ll give a few suggestions here a try the next time we’re out.
Old 01-09-2020, 09:25 PM

I think it is excellent that your little girl wants to hang with daddy like she does. Sounds like a tough cookie.

I would say now that the cold weather is here, fish where you cn drive the truck on. That way when she gets cold you can fire up the truck and let her watch movies on an Ipad with a bag of licorice while her feet are on the dash vents getting toasty warm.
Old 01-09-2020, 11:01 PM

The interlocking 24"x24" foam mats are perfect for keeping feet off the ice. Shovel snow away so they lay flat on the bare ice, set the shelter up and remove the ones where your holes are. Really insulates the shack and keeps everything dry to.

WC
Old 01-10-2020, 03:09 AM

I bring the sled inside the tent, have about a 1-1/2” layer of construction foam cut to fit the inside bottom of the sled. My 5 year old son can sit, play or lay on it and bring a blanket in case he gets cold or wants to nap. Main thing is keeping the outings short and sweet, keeps him interested and asking me to bring him back fishing again.
Old 01-10-2020, 05:09 AM

I've got the keeping their feet warm thing figured out now if I could only devise a method to prevent them from STEPPING IN THE DAMN HOLES and going up to their hip.

I always have to bring extra boots, socks and snow pants because they can't watch where they're putting their feet.
Old 01-10-2020, 07:37 AM

Not sure how safe they are for kids but I like using chemical foot warmers for myself while sitting in deer blinds , they say there good for 5 hours . I picked up a box at Costco last year.
Old 01-10-2020, 08:40 AM

Keep the head warm, that is a must. If you can get one boots one size bigger than she needs. Its better if the boots are as waterproofed as possible but have a removable liner Get a good pair of wicking socks followed by a heavy wool sock. If you have room to add a second insole into the boots I find that makes a huge difference as well.
High energy snacks like dried fruits help a lot as does proper hydration while in the cold dry air.

"The problem was this little thing called the government and laws."
Old 01-11-2020, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapleleafman3 View Post
I used to put on a light pair of socks then a plastic grocery bag then another heavier pair of socks then my boots when i was a young pup. I remember it making a difference in warmth. Maybe worth a shot.

That always worked for us.......

We have two lives: The life we learn with and the life we live with after that.