Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 02-02-2020, 08:10 AM

I'm for Newfoundland. We went there once years ago on a fishing trip. The people at that time where amazing friendly and nice. You couldn't go anywhere without making friends.
This was before you needed to hire a guide to go fishing. First night on this remote lake we met two guys. Next night they came back with two more of there friends. Every night the people seemed to double. They sure liked to party and visit. Normally Im not into this but these people where so much fun.
There used to be no crime there and I'm sure any Newfoundlander would have given you anything you ever wanted.
Like back then if you stopped on the road and knocked on some strangers door for directions you would almost get dragged in there for supper.
Old 02-02-2020, 08:47 AM

when did hawaii become part of north america ?
Old 02-02-2020, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by liar View Post
when did hawaii become part of north america ?
Politically it is.
Old 02-02-2020, 09:01 AM

i thought north america , south america , central america , oceana , asia etc were geographical terms . learn something new everyday .
Old 02-02-2020, 09:06 AM

1 - Nassau
2 - Kona
3 - Key West
Old 02-02-2020, 10:40 AM

I'd be heading to the East coast for sure.
Old 02-15-2020, 09:54 AM

Update. Thanks for all the replies, looked into Hawaii but staying there seemed exspensive same with miami. So we decided on Isla Mujeres an Island outside Cancun
Old 02-16-2020, 12:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Etownpaul View Post
I had something similar a few years ago, basically I got royally screwed over by Air Canada on got a $4k flight credit out of them when I raised hell.

We went to Newfoundland. I figured I would never pony up the absurd amount money it costs to see that beautiful part of our own country. You can pay half as much airfare and fly directly over NFLD on your way to Europe.

It was a fantastic trip. They absolutely love Albertans, it’s kind of like visiting Belgium or Holland and telling them you are Canadian. Friendliest people I’ve ever met. The language barrier is pretty easy to overcome, and everybody speaks English in the major cities

Certainly not a tropical destination, but absolutely worth seeing. It was a bucket list location for me and I’m so glad I went. Like I said I never would have spent $1600+ to get there on my own.
Lol! Nice post!

Very similar to the direction I would head with a free trip. Might as well make the ticket worthwhile, and see a spectacular part of Canada that a person otherwise might not, due to distance and air fare.

Survivor of the dread covid
Pureblood!
Old 02-16-2020, 04:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glion View Post
Update. Thanks for all the replies, looked into Hawaii but staying there seemed exspensive same with miami. So we decided on Isla Mujeres an Island outside Cancun
nice beach, but very over crowded and garbage eveywhere in the ditches. We spent the day there 2 years ago and toured it with golf carts, hit the little zoo and drank on the one stretch of beach. Hope you enjoy it but personally I would have picked a better place.
Old 02-16-2020, 07:32 AM

Couple things dictated it for us. Cost and length of flights. As well as layovers, these flights are direct. We shall see what it is like.
Old 02-16-2020, 07:40 AM
Banned

Quote:
Couple things dictated it for us. Cost and length of flights. As well as layovers, these flights are direct. We shall see what it is like.
Ive been there before and I really enjoyed it
Hope you have a great trip
Old 02-16-2020, 08:04 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

PEI in the summer...maybe rent a car and see the east coast?

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 02-16-2020, 09:30 AM

I would sell the tickets to someone that has to fly to Inuvik, Newfoundland or some other equally high priced place. You could then buy three or four trips to places like Arizona, Mexico and the like with the money you get from that.
Old 02-16-2020, 10:09 AM

Pacific Grove California would be my first choice then Alaska which is not the warm beaches you are looking for. We have traveled all over North America and the last 3 years we are drawn back to Monterey area. Beautiful beaches, fishing, tourist spots, locals only spots. As much or as little as you want to accomplish in a day, and Sunsets at Asilomar State Park are second to none. We arrange our whole day around the sunsets. Just keep in mind it is a little cooler average temperature than Southern California so we just plan accordingly to the season's. No plans to go anywhere else in the next foreseeable future for us.
Old 02-16-2020, 10:17 AM

Quote:
So last night my wife won 2 flights to anywhere in North America... thats great now we need to figure out where to go. Currently we are looking at Costa Rica and Hawaii. If you have suggestions and even better specific places that would be great Thanks
Edit: we are open to anywhere beachy and tropical ie Bahamas, turks and caicos etc
Usually anywhere in NA means continental and excludes Central America.

If you want top dollar value and not heat...maritimes flights are expensive. Consider Newfoundland. Very nice. Nice temp in July. May, June for iceberg viewing.

Warmth...go to Disney world in Florida. Check soon as they have park entrance specials. Book a trip to the Everglades and Kennedy space centre. Maybe time a launch?
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 02-16-2020, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
I would sell the tickets to someone that has to fly to Inuvik, Newfoundland or some other equally high priced place. You could then buy three or four trips to places like Arizona, Mexico and the like with the money you get from that.
Tickets were non transferable and we have a baby coming in july so the better half didn't really want to travel to close to that haha
Old 02-16-2020, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talking moose View Post
Pick the most expensive flight and just go there.
Good chance you could end up in Frobisher Bay with that method.
Old 02-16-2020, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Tickets were non transferable and we have a baby coming in july so the better half didn't really want to travel to close to that haha
Congratulations on the Baby. Never heard of a non-transferable prize but given that was one of the limitations hope you two really enjoy the trip you have booked.
Old 02-16-2020, 02:33 PM

I’d say Alaska but I’d want to drive their as part
Of the adventure. Congrats! Sounds like a nice problem to have, deciding where you wanna go...
Old 02-16-2020, 03:26 PM

New Orleans
Old 02-16-2020, 05:16 PM
Banned

Quote:
I'm just happy for the 2 of you to have picked a spot YOU want to go to. Have fun and RELAX
Old 02-16-2020, 05:46 PM

Quote:
I’m sure you will enjoy . I just got back from Mexico and can’t wait to head back but some guys on here openly refuse to even think about going there so go with an open mind and judge for yourself . One mans garbage is another mans treasure .
Old 02-16-2020, 08:41 PM

Everyone goes to tropical places. Consider going the opposite direction and experience our northern culture. Gjoa Haven or Igloolik would be a true experience instead of just laying on the beach getting burnt.

Have fun and enjoy where ever you end up.
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 02-17-2020, 01:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Etownpaul View Post
I had something similar a few years ago, basically I got royally screwed over by Air Canada on got a $4k flight credit out of them when I raised hell.

We went to Newfoundland. I figured I would never pony up the absurd amount money it costs to see that beautiful part of our own country. You can pay half as much airfare and fly directly over NFLD on your way to Europe.

It was a fantastic trip. They absolutely love Albertans, it’s kind of like visiting Belgium or Holland and telling them you are Canadian. Friendliest people I’ve ever met. The language barrier is pretty easy to overcome, and everybody speaks English in the major cities

Certainly not a tropical destination, but absolutely worth seeing. It was a bucket list location for me and I’m so glad I went. Like I said I never would have spent $1600+ to get there on my own.
Count me as another vote for Newfoundland. Always wanted to go there but always ended up going somewhere else instead. A few years ago the wife decided that we were going, and off we went. One of the best vacations ever. It was like visiting another country. As already said, the people are great, the food is great and the scenery is beyond awesome.
I'm always amazed at how many people have flown all over the world or to places like Mexico and Cuba repeatedly, but haven't even seen half of Canada.
When I got back and told people where I went for vacation, almost every single time the response was "OH, I didn't know you were from there". Like no one ever goes there just on vacation.
We only spent ten days there, but I'd love to go back and spend a month seeing everything.
Old 02-17-2020, 09:14 AM

Default hello every one//

i am a travel lover.. is any body their in NY..TO HAVE A CHILL OUT
Old 02-17-2020, 10:20 AM

I’d go east too. I haven’t been to Newfoundland but Nova Scotia and area are beautiful and the people are fantastic. I’d move there in a second if their winters weren’t so snowy.
Old 02-17-2020, 09:29 PM

Default Huatulco

Try huatulco. Small,friendly, cabs are cheap, similar to Costa Rica but not as long of a flight.
Old 02-17-2020, 11:32 PM

In North America? Bahamas, no question.
Only because you sound like you're looking for a beach kind of holiday.
Old 03-02-2020, 06:50 AM

Hawaii! And I am coming!

"If life is tough, it's time to get stronger!" - Joel Runyon (reminder to myself)