Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 02-26-2020, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip-in-Z View Post
Short lived .... recovering slowly.

D.

Markets closed, down we go again, we'll see what The Donald has to say, shortly.

D.

Old 02-26-2020, 05:25 PM

Arrow 'Cash Is King' right now ❗

A 10+% correction is possible 👉 https://ca.reuters.com/article/busin.../idCAKCN20L00H

Selkirk
Old 02-26-2020, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selkirk View Post
A 10+% correction is possible 👉 https://ca.reuters.com/article/busin.../idCAKCN20L00H

Selkirk
If the futures are any indication we will be there tomorrow.
Old 02-26-2020, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdub View Post
If the futures are any indication we will be there tomorrow.
Futures down 300 and picking up steam quick
Old 02-26-2020, 07:56 PM

Another black Friday on its way...another announcement say from Europe or Mr trump.and the guys that have lost their 4 or 5 percent the last three days are gonna cut their losses and bail. Sure should any way if you been enjoying this big run up of the markets and gained your 20 percent you better take your profits boys. Just sayin.... See where we are next week.👇
Old 02-26-2020, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikeman06 View Post
Another black Friday on its way...another announcement say from Europe or Mr trump.and the guys that have lost their 4 or 5 percent the last three days are gonna cut their losses and bail. Sure should any way if you been enjoying this big run up of the markets and gained your 20 percent you better take your profits boys. Just sayin.... See where we are next week.👇
Are you going to short any stocks?
Old 02-26-2020, 08:32 PM

Co worker of mine who is set to retire at the end of March is taking a beating on his pension right now. Says he’s losing roughly 45k per day over the last week and a half. nothing like a Little added stress before retirement.
Old 02-26-2020, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skoaltender View Post
Co worker of mine who is set to retire at the end of March is taking a beating on his pension right now. Says he’s losing roughly 45k per day over the last week and a half. nothing like a Little added stress before retirement.
If hes that close, should be in fixed income or bonds. Crazy to be in stocks that close to retirement
Old 02-26-2020, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergerboy View Post
Are you going to short any stocks?
Hangin on to my enbridge and fortis thru thick and thin. Dumped the rest yesterday. Sleep alot better tonite let me tell ya. I'll be jumping in you bet, take the biggest losers and see what the loss compares to their historical lows and take it from there. Not this week tho. I have to refrain and go with the gut. Might miss the bounce on Monday but I'm not the only guy thinking like this. But I still don't think metals are gonna be a big winner...I've been wrong before tho. I would grab silver just for the volume but it's not doing what it should be so I think it's just a panic buy of gold from some big players that drove the price up. You?
Old 02-26-2020, 09:20 PM

Quote:
So why is he taking that kind of loss for so long?
Old 02-26-2020, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
So why is he taking that kind of loss for so long?
No idea why or even what types of funds he’s invested in.
Old 02-26-2020, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justfishin73 View Post
If hes that close, should be in fixed income or bonds. Crazy to be in stocks that close to retirement
He mentioned he’s been in a low risk fund, but apparently that’s what’s costing him the big bucks right now.
Old 02-26-2020, 09:28 PM

Quote:
If he can lose $45k per day, for a week and a half, he must have a huge portfolio.

Last edited by elkhunter11; 02-26-2020 at 09:38 PM.
Old 02-26-2020, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikeman06 View Post
Hangin on to my enbridge and fortis thru thick and thin. Dumped the rest yesterday. Sleep alot better tonite let me tell ya. I'll be jumping in you bet, take the biggest losers and see what the loss compares to their historical lows and take it from there. Not this week tho. I have to refrain and go with the gut. Might miss the bounce on Monday but I'm not the only guy thinking like this. But I still don't think metals are gonna be a big winner...I've been wrong before tho. I would grab silver just for the volume but it's not doing what it should be so I think it's just a panic buy of gold from some big players that drove the price up. You?
Air Canada and VFV are the ones that I am ready to pull the trigger on. Just nervous I will miss the bottom. This will end in good results. Got lots of dry powder and am looking forward to some good returns.
Old 02-26-2020, 09:32 PM

Default CDC confirms first possible community transmission of coronavirus in US

If the Coronavirus get ahold and spread in California .
Old 02-26-2020, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishtank View Post
If the Coronavirus get ahold and spread in California .
This could just be starting , that 10% could easily be 20%, or worse.
Old 02-26-2020, 09:49 PM

I honestly think the dow could hit 22,000
Old 02-26-2020, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justfishin73 View Post
I honestly think the dow could hit 22,000
What should a guy sitting on a bunch of cash in a TFSA do if that happens?
Old 02-26-2020, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stLand View Post
What should a guy sitting on a bunch of cash in a TFSA do if that happens?
You buy in.
Old 02-26-2020, 10:18 PM

whats a good DOW etf index fund?
Old 02-26-2020, 10:55 PM

If anyone can read Financial Times, there is supposedly a great article there now, but I am not a subscriber and can’t read it. If someone can and doesn’t mind copy-pasting, I would greatly appreciate it. I am sure others will too. Here is the article:

Markets are too complacent about coronavirus despite sell-off

It’s thoughts of Nouriel Roubini, aka Dr. Doom.

Thanks.
Old 02-26-2020, 11:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stLand View Post
whats a good DOW etf index fund?
The DOW is a poor index to track, its the top 60 large US caps. You would want to be in a much broader index fund that tracks the Sp500 instead. Lots to chose from there. Vanguard, Spyder, Blackrock all have good options. Vanguard is probably the cheapest historically but I haven’t looked in a while. Another good option in my opinion for broad exposure and good management would be BRK.B.

If a guy is looking for a safe time to get back in focus on the level on the VIX. We need a week or so of it under 20 ish before all clear imo. Watch trading volumes. Wait for the selling pressure to exhaust itself. Be patient. Look back at 2008-09 period, market bottoms take time and don’t worry about missing a few points by trying to pick the bottom. This thing could be over next week or stretch over several months. Have some rules and a shopping list ready if you are looking at individual stocks. All just my opinions.
Old 02-27-2020, 07:12 AM

Looks like another 1000 pt drop today, futures down 500
Old 02-27-2020, 07:44 AM

The markets just opened, but the spiral downward continues. It's nice to be sitting on the sidelines watching today.
Old 02-27-2020, 07:57 AM

Watch Amazon if you want to see a wild ride over next few months. China can no longer deliver All the products that Amazon buys and puts into cardboard boxes. Amazon also has be impact on the DOW.
Old 02-27-2020, 08:19 AM

Quote:
The markets just opened, but the spiral downward continues. It's nice to be sitting on the sidelines watching today.
Nice to not have skin directly in the game, but we all are involved indirectly. Bit worrisome.
Old 02-27-2020, 08:34 AM

Expect emergency rate cuts and more helicopter money any day from the US Fed. The bond market is pricing in a major disruption, 10 yr US yields have been getting crushed for days and now sit at 1.25%. Bond markets are better than the stock market at sniffing these things out and are acting like another 1928 or 2008 event is here perhaps?

And Trump must be going nuts after his appointment of the VP yesterday to fight the virus failed to halt the market slide. Meanwhile in Canada we have Truly Clueless slowly crushing the Canadian economy with his lack of leadership, I don't even think the effects of the virus have crossed his little brain yet, to busy trying to not hurt any feelings....Yeah were screwed! Enjoy the elevator ride down.
Old 02-27-2020, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdub View Post
Expect emergency rate cuts and more helicopter money any day from the US Fed. The bond market is pricing in a major disruption, 10 yr US yields have been getting crushed for days and now sit at 1.25%. Bond markets are better than the stock market at sniffing these things out and are acting like another 1928 or 2008 event is here perhaps?

And Trump must be going nuts after his appointment of the VP yesterday to fight the virus failed to halt the market slide. Meanwhile in Canada we have Truly Clueless slowly crushing the Canadian economy with his lack of leadership, I don't even think the effects of the virus have crossed his little brain yet, to busy trying to not hurt any feelings....Yeah were screwed! Enjoy the elevator ride down.
Appointing Pence as Virus Czar was supposed to calm the markets ? No wonder they are tanking.
Old 02-27-2020, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstubbs View Post
Nice to not have skin directly in the game, but we all are involved indirectly. Bit worrisome.
This will hurt us all, but at least sitting on cash, I can buy back in and perhaps still make a profit in 2020. And it isn't just the virus we have to worry about, the rail disruptions will add to the pain. This mess could takes months to resolve, so consumer confidence returns to the markets.
Old 02-27-2020, 10:04 AM

Quote:
This will hurt us all, but at least sitting on cash, I can buy back in and perhaps still make a profit in 2020. And it isn't just the virus we have to worry about, the rail disruptions will add to the pain. This mess could takes months to resolve, so consumer confidence returns to the markets.
I'm in cash but I don't feel particularly safe in the long run. This event could very well be big enough to put banks at risk and potentially cause a big financial reset.

And for those inclined to read too much into this. No I don't think banks are going to collapse in a few days or a month or even a few months. My concern is that this virus will reek havoc on economy for a year or more. The whipsaw battle between containing this virus and maintaining an economy and supply chain is going to be TOUGH based what I've observed over the last month. This virus spreads very efficiently and is more nasty than most are giving it credit for. Interesting to see a bunch of top Iranian officials are now confirmed infected. I foresee some instability in Iran as a lot of their leaders are in the older demographic. Concerning times.