Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 07-18-2007, 11:03 PM

Default rental boats - advice?

I'm looking at replacing a fleet of rental boats over a 5 year period on Lake Minnewanka- replacing 4 boats & motors a year. The existing boats are basic 16 ft Lunds, and as we get a lot of families renting boats - we want to stick with 16 footers (instead of the usual rental size -14 footers - which are only approved for a maximum of 4 people).

Lund has a good name, but I think that you pay quite a premium for that name, and some say that they're over-rated with other manufacturers offering better value for dollar. Any suggestions on an alternate brand/model that would hold up to rental use by many inexperienced users, and can handle the (sometimes) rough water on Minnewanka?

Has to be 16 ft, and will be pushed by an 8 or 9.9 hp Honda or Merc.

I have a HarbourCraft tinny, but it's not deep-hulled enough for that lake.

Thx in advance!!

Andrew
Old 07-18-2007, 11:24 PM

It's just my two cents worth, but, as you know, I have been fishing that lake since last season in a 13' Zebec inflateable. It is always 3 guys with more than enough gear, and we have ridden through some pretty heavy waters out there. The boat is multi-chambered and swamping it is out of the question. I deflates down to the size of a hockey gear bag, and that is nearly the base model.

The versatility is what attracted us to this boat, and although it is a bit small for three guys for a day of hardcore fishing, we have never had a scare (other than the night I fell off the dock at 1Am ), and never caught a fish bigger than 5lbs! Yet we keep trying, and we love that little boat! It's nice knowing you're not going to sink, especially with the way the weather can go on that lake. Good luck Thumper!

Tree
Old 07-19-2007, 12:22 AM

Default Dont underpower!!

I would strongly advise to put bigger motors on those boats. 8 or 10 horse on a 16 ft boat is dangerous as far as I am concerned. As for the boat I'd recommend something with a floor and an open layout instead of the ones with the bench seats going across the boat.
Old 07-19-2007, 03:44 AM

Naden boats are cheaper, and are a good boat. Europia canopies in Edmonton deals Naden boats
Old 07-19-2007, 08:56 AM

Default Naden Boats ..

Had a Chance to use a 16 ft Naden at Bakers Narrows Lodge in Northern MB.

I knew the guys who run the place and they love em.

They use em for all their fly in lakes and on the big nrothern lakes and they love em.

PLus they're Canadian, I think, made out of Ontario ...

MJ
Old 07-19-2007, 10:16 PM

Thanks Guys,

I never thought of Naden, but as you say that northern outfitters really like them, I'm checking them out. On their web-site they don't list "Europia Canopies' as a dealer, and I can't fiind any info on that company on Google. They do list a dealer in Lloyd, but that's a long way from Banff.

Tree, personally I love inflatables - but they're not recommended for rental fleets (at least Zodiacs aren't).

And Topwater, people get in enough trouble with an 8 or 9.9 - particularly suddenly giving it throttle while people are standing in the boat (despite all the warning stickers). With a 15hp, we'd be fishing a lot of people out of the lake! Most inexperienced people never travel far from the dock.

thx again guys

Andrew
Old 07-19-2007, 10:18 PM

What are you doing with your old boats ??
Old 07-20-2007, 12:23 PM

Default boat advice

Hey guys,

I hope this doesn't qualify as hijaking a thread but I need some advice on picking an engine. Given the posts on this thread I thought it would be appropriate to post here. You can reply here or with a PM if you want.

I have a 16' jon boat (flat bottom punt) and I use a Subaru Forester to pull it, which works fine when not loaded down too bad. I mainly drift the Bow with it and have a electric trolling motor for small lakes. I'd like to get a gas motor for travelling on larger lakes and to run up river during duck season. So I'd like to find something that has enough power and is still light enough that the Subaru can drag it without too much trouble. Any suggestions?

I'm thinking a 15 hp two stroke with a short leg (maybe even a stainless prop and a river runner guard). I wish I could afford a jet, but I can't and I'd rather not sacrifice the hp. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks.

Remi
Old 07-21-2007, 01:50 PM

Definetly interested in one of the old ones if you are going to sell them. PM me if you are interested. Thanks
Old 07-22-2007, 07:59 PM

Default 16Ft=25Hp Minimum

I have used a 16Ft with a 9.9 and the boat is way under powered, personaly speaking if the weather turned bad on the lake and you had to get to shore in a hurry you would be glad that you had a boat that would at least get on plane with 3 adults in it. Just my opinion