Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 06-14-2020, 09:26 AM

Default Bait use violation

I was looking for a place to catch some carps and stopped at Bentley on Blindman river. The guys were targeting prussian carps and I have had a conversation on techniques how to catch this fish. They mentioned that you can not use worms, corn, etc. and only maggots are allowed (as per regulation). One guy has mentioned that he was charged $300 by F&W officer for using two fishing rods and worms as bait. His mistake for the second fishing rod. And another young fallow told me that he was charged $200 for using worms as the bait. None of them was given a warning, just straight to the ticket.
Has anybody here got a ticket for using worms when targeting prussian carp?
Old 06-14-2020, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birdhunter View Post
I was looking for a place to catch some carps and stopped at Bentley on Blindman river. The guys were targeting prussian carps and I have had a conversation on techniques how to catch this fish. They mentioned that you can not use worms, corn, etc. and only maggots are allowed (as per regulation). One guy has mentioned that he was charged $300 by F&W officer for using two fishing rods and worms as bait. His mistake for the second fishing rod. And another young fallow told me that he was charged $200 for using worms as the bait. None of them was given a warning, just straight to the ticket.
There are actually two misconceptions in your post. Regs are the regs. Blindman is maggots only long before the carp showed. Has nothing to do with any particular species including an invasive one. 2nd, Prussian carp can be caught without bait, no problem.

Regs:
http://albertaregulations.ca/fishingregs/
Old 06-14-2020, 09:51 AM

no bait equals a ticket, if they were too lazy to look up the regs they especially deserved it. But then again always check the regs before you try a different waterbody sometimes even the Officers get it wrong.
Non Compliance!!!!!!
"According to Trudeau, Im an extremist who needs to be dealt with"
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

The vaccine was not brought in for COVID. COVID was brought in for the vaccine. Once you realize that, everything else makes sense.” ~ Dr. Reiner Fuellmich
Old 06-15-2020, 01:48 AM

Quote:
What your actually asking is “has anybody poached with worms” might be best to put this one out of her misery!!!
Old 06-15-2020, 08:56 AM

I should be more clear with my thoughts. When on the river, I asked one guy what the biggest number of prusian carp he caught in one day fishing trip. He said 340, but it was 3 years ago. I have never asked what bait he used, it could be just maggots. In my opinion by allowing to use some of bait like corn, cheese, marshmallows, maggots, meal worms, earthworms, wax worms would increase the chance of catching this invasive fish. I know we can not stop the spread, but this could increase the reduction rate. I was surprised how many people were targeting this fish.
Tough call I know. Most likely this will never happen.
Old 06-15-2020, 10:47 AM

Quote:
I should be more clear with my thoughts. When on the river, I asked one guy what the biggest number of prusian carp he caught in one day fishing trip. He said 340, but it was 3 years ago. I have never asked what bait he used, it could be just maggots. In my opinion by allowing to use some of bait like corn, cheese, marshmallows, maggots, meal worms, earthworms, wax worms would increase the chance of catching this invasive fish. I know we can not stop the spread, but this could increase the reduction rate. I was surprised how many people were targeting this fish.
Tough call I know. Most likely this will never happen.
problem is the other fish species also eat bait so it has to be banned to look after the desired species. just found out this morning another local lake is also polluted with carp
Non Compliance!!!!!!
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

The vaccine was not brought in for COVID. COVID was brought in for the vaccine. Once you realize that, everything else makes sense.” ~ Dr. Reiner Fuellmich
Old 06-15-2020, 01:39 PM

We need more cast nets in Alberta...

"to identify very rare, scarce or special forms of fish and wildlife outdoor recreation opportunities and to ensure that access to these opportunities continues to be available to all Albertans."
Old 06-15-2020, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by walking buffalo View Post
We need more cast nets in Alberta...
maybe catch whoever stocks them and remove their fingers
Non Compliance!!!!!!
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds