Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 06-18-2020, 08:25 AM

Default Remington 870 Tac14 Marine Magnum get a workout, then goes bird hunting

Hi Folks!

Previously I've had a lot of fun exploring the limitations of the Mossberg 590 Shockwave - now for this spring and with some unexpected time away from work, one of my social distancing project has been to head out to the farm to shake out a Remington 870 Tac-14 marine magnum and a police project gun along the same vein. I brought the camera along so I could share, and fate+fortune aligned such that I could apply the project to a big-time bird hunt (conducted legally on private land as per the rules here in Ab).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ln9EJ2jH5b4

I get lots of comments asking why I wouldn't use something more appropriate (or prescribing that I should!)....the simple answer is I've been hunting with shotguns for a long time and I enjoy trying to find good ways to explore my limitations with less conventional gear and then trying to hunt within these limitations.

Most folks (my former self included in this camp!) write these shotguns off as useless; and while you won't get any argument from me that a conventional stocked and barrelled gun is easier to become proficient with, I've surprised myself with the discovery of the extent to which these kinds of guns, with focused preparation, can be made useful.

I know and accept they're not for everyone, but speaking for myself I had a TONNE of fun making this one! Thank for watching.

Hope you and your loved ones are all safe, healthy, and happy in these wild times!

Best,

Brobee

Last edited by Brobee; 06-18-2020 at 08:44 AM.
Old 06-18-2020, 08:38 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.
Thumbs up

I use the 590 and have had similar results...if...I had to only have one gun...god forbid...this would be it....small game....big game....home defense etc....it does it all.

I was really impressed just how capable this type of shotty is....great vid.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 06-18-2020, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
I use the 590 and have had similar results...if...I had to only have one gun...god forbid...this would be it....small game....big game....home defense etc....it does it all.

I was really impressed just how capable this type of shotty is....great vid.
Shotty?
Really?
Old 06-18-2020, 02:09 PM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewey Cox View Post
Shotty?
Really?
shot gun...shotty...scattergun....yup...really.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 06-18-2020, 07:33 PM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewey Cox View Post
Shotty?
Really?
If you take a shotty to a three gun shoot I guess you would also have a rifey and pistey.
Old 06-18-2020, 10:39 PM

I enjoyed the absolute snot out of that video and subscribed as of right now.

The only problem I have is that you've basically spent 600 bucks or so of my hard earned money on a new Tac 14 and with all my hobbies the targets are going to have to take a back burner, although they do look awesome and hope to order a couple in the future.

In all seriousness I absolutely have been looking for a backup gun to compliment bear spray when out for elk around home and this looks like a great option at a much more reasonable price than packing a mares leg.
Old 06-21-2020, 05:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OL_JR View Post
I enjoyed the absolute snot out of that video and subscribed as of right now.

The only problem I have is that you've basically spent 600 bucks or so of my hard earned money on a new Tac 14 and with all my hobbies the targets are going to have to take a back burner, although they do look awesome and hope to order a couple in the future.

In all seriousness I absolutely have been looking for a backup gun to compliment bear spray when out for elk around home and this looks like a great option at a much more reasonable price than packing a mares leg.
Ha! That made me chuckle, I’m glad you enjoyed it and apologies for inadvertently draining your bank account. Thanks for watching!

Best,

Brobee
Old 06-30-2020, 11:02 PM

I just realized that when I uploaded the original video my iMovie was somehow set to 720p...I think folks can see the line+lead better in the clay+bird sequences in 1080p, so I just replaced the video with a high-res version. Here's a link to the new version:

http://youtu.be/Ass6RrsaPS4

Thanks again for your kind comments.

Best,

Brobee