Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 06-25-2020, 06:25 PM

So this might have been the thread I was looking for. So as a recent resident of Alberta and Canada I have been almost overwhelmed. My kid and I have deer hunted Minnesota plenty however I’m finding that looking for spots around Calgary is a daunting task. Seems like I was spoiled before... basically walk for 10min then sit in a stand. So although i don’t want to asks for specific spots i could use any advice. Perhaps area to avoid?
Thanks
Old 06-25-2020, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swilliams4883 View Post
So this might have been the thread I was looking for. So as a recent resident of Alberta and Canada I have been almost overwhelmed. My kid and I have deer hunted Minnesota plenty however I’m finding that looking for spots around Calgary is a daunting task. Seems like I was spoiled before... basically walk for 10min then sit in a stand. So although i don’t want to asks for specific spots i could use any advice. Perhaps area to avoid?
Thanks
Hunting around calgary will be very different than the woods of Minnesota. You can probably still find spots to sit and fill tags but you will have to get further than 10 minutes from the road in most cases. My advise is embrace the different hunting style and become a master. You will end up a better hunter for it
Old 06-25-2020, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OL_JR View Post
This is really good advice, I get my fat butt on the pack training program every year and it's the only way to go imho. I'm definitely no Cameron Hanes with the "train hard hunt easy" mentality as it's always hard out there backpacking and not easy. It's tough for the average dude to simulate on a consistent level the hours and hours of packing with weight on your back.

What I can do though is work some higher intensity rucking into a short time frame and get not only the legs going but all those supportive muscles that you need to pack stuff with.

For me it's not about training to not get tired out hunting as that inevitably happens but you will recover a lot faster if you pre expose your body to packing heavy weight in a pack.
I use a 25kg sand bag in my frame pack and wear it for a few hours every day just doing my usual acreage chores. It sucks at first but as your core gets stronger it becomes almost unnoticeable.
Old 06-25-2020, 08:38 PM

Default How far is enough?

Depends on where you go what your hunting ? I think walk in 45 min to 1.5hrs in the dark get up high where you can watch a area I use the late commers to spook and move things . Head back to camp or truck have a nap lunch head back in for the late hunt when the other hunters come back thay spook and push the game for you again . If it’s rut stay out all day . In my option the first 2 hrs and last 2hrs are the best . Over the last 30 + years of hunting I found it’s nice to be out some days all day but as I get older it’s nice to a nap in and try some other spot if the morning sit isn’t very productive or there’s to much pressure. Most animals bed down during the day and the action is slow unless pressured or in rut . Just my opinion
Old 06-25-2020, 10:13 PM

Default How far is enough?

Depends on where you go what your hunting ? I think walk in 45 min to 1.5hrs in the dark get up high where you can watch a area I use the late commers to spook and move things . Head back to camp or truck have a nap lunch head back in for the late hunt when the other hunters come back thay spook and push the game for you again . If it’s rut stay out all day . In my option the first 2 hrs and last 2hrs are the best . Over the last 30 + years of hunting I found it’s nice to be out some days all day but as I get older it’s nice to a nap in and try some other spot if the morning sit isn’t very productive or there’s to much pressure. Most animals bed down during the day and the action is slow unless pressured or in rut . Just my opinion
Old 06-25-2020, 11:55 PM

A mountain bike can be a useful tool also, makes covering a few km pretty quickly, easily and silent.