Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 06-29-2020, 02:26 PM

Default Northern sask drive to lake trout lakes

Im thinking about heading far north into sask and want to bring my own boat if possible. Im really getting into the laker fishing after getting my boat set-up and getting them steady on cold lake. I would really like to target some bigger fish and am looking at what lakes are good options. Lac La Ronge looks pretty good and is on my radar. Possibly Lac La Plonge as well. Driving gravel isnt a big deal. Looking for suggestions or tips as ive never been.
Old 06-29-2020, 02:28 PM

I'd think you're more liable to hook a real big one on Cold than Laplonge and get a bigger avg too.
Old 06-29-2020, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rvsask View Post
I'd think you're more liable to hook a real big one on Cold than Laplonge and get a bigger avg too.
if thats the truth then it will be off the list. id like to be able to break into the teens and over 20 a little more regularily would be nice.
Old 06-29-2020, 04:05 PM

Because lakers take a long time to grow easy access and consistent big Lakers do not go hand and hand. You can get into good laker fishing and some big ones still
Old 06-29-2020, 04:07 PM

Because lakers take a long time to grow easy access and consistent big Lakers do not go hand and hand. You can get into good laker fishing and some big ones still

Personally I go to BC but I know the lakes and used to live there. No lack of big lakers but it’s not like they are easy to catch everyday
Old 06-29-2020, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoky buck View Post

Personally I go to BC but I know the lakes and used to live there. No lack of big lakers but it’s not like they are easy to catch everyday
i dont expect huge numbers of monsters like the fly in lakes, i would just really like to get my boat in on a lake with a bigger average size than cold lake if that is a thing.
Old 06-29-2020, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildalberta View Post
i dont expect huge numbers of monsters like the fly in lakes, i would just really like to get my boat in on a lake with a bigger average size than cold lake if that is a thing.
I don’t fish Cold lake so don’t know the average

Most places I have fished that would be declared good for drive in lakes the average is 6-10lbs but big fish exist well over 20lbs and at times well over 30lbs. But I know guys who consistently catch 15-25lbs lakers on this lakes but most don’t

Maybe someone knows better options but I don’t have experience with any or known anyone personally who does.
Old 06-29-2020, 06:38 PM

Kinda in the same boat, I've been looking east for a bit now and was dead set on trying Clearwater in Manitoba this summer but with everything going on have decided to stay closer to home.

In the meantime Whiteswan Lake in Saskatchewan has come across the radar and from what's online looks like it would be worth a trip with the possibility of getting into an above average lake trout.

If a fellow were up for an adventure seems like Wollaston is road accessible as well as Reindeer lake. My hope is once the kids are a bit older to head in that direction. I think it would be incredible.

Interested to see if or what kind of input comes in from guys that may have fished out that way.
Old 06-29-2020, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OL_JR View Post
Kinda in the same boat, I've been looking east for a bit now and was dead set on trying Clearwater in Manitoba this summer but with everything going on have decided to stay closer to home.

In the meantime Whiteswan Lake in Saskatchewan has come across the radar and from what's online looks like it would be worth a trip with the possibility of getting into an above average lake trout.

If a fellow were up for an adventure seems like Wollaston is road accessible as well as Reindeer lake. My hope is once the kids are a bit older to head in that direction. I think it would be incredible.

Interested to see if or what kind of input comes in from guys that may have fished out that way.

Reindeer is accessible but the better trout fishing is a very long ways away from the boat landings.

Osky
Old 06-29-2020, 10:00 PM

I do not know where you live up there but wouldn't Slave be a good option considering the points you can drive to around the lake?

Osky
Old 06-29-2020, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osky View Post
Reindeer is accessible but the better trout fishing is a very long ways away from the boat landings.

Osky
I gathered that, it seems like most big lakers come from deep bay which is a bit of a poke from the south end where a fellow could launch a boat.
Old 06-29-2020, 10:45 PM

Quote:

Osky
I've trailered my boat up to Nordic Lodge on Reindeer. The trip from there, to good laker territory is not too bad (like 40 minutes) with a typical windshield type boat (I have a 18' Lund Tyee with a 150).

The biggest thing to watch for is getting direction on which channels and passes between islands you can blast through and where you need to slow down and watch for reefs. You can be a kilometer from shore, in 80 feet of water and reef comes up to zero (inches below the water) in half a boat length.

Having the auto mapping software made the first pass tense - bit after that, a breeze.

Old 06-30-2020, 04:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZM View Post
I've trailered my boat up to Nordic Lodge on Reindeer. The trip from there, to good laker territory is not too bad (like 40 minutes) with a typical windshield type boat (I have a 18' Lund Tyee with a 150).

The biggest thing to watch for is getting direction on which channels and passes between islands you can blast through and where you need to slow down and watch for reefs. You can be a kilometer from shore, in 80 feet of water and reef comes up to zero (inches below the water) in half a boat length.

Having the auto mapping software made the first pass tense - bit after that, a breeze.

Yes that is a standard crazy shield lake for sure. I hadn't thought of jumping out from that point. I have only flown in to that lake but I do know of those driving.
How long was the drive from your area?

Osky
Old 06-30-2020, 06:03 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.
Thumbs up

Quote:
if thats the truth then it will be off the list. id like to be able to break into the teens and over 20 a little more regularily would be nice.
Not on cold lake.....you will get high teens low twenties maybe.....lots and I mean lots of 5-10 pounders though.....it's that dam keeper size they got here....hopefully they come to thier senses as this lake would be a Mecca for big fish...slot size, tags?

Eitherway good luck on your quest?

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 06-30-2020, 06:24 AM

Try going a little farther east flin flon Manitoba there's three or four good drive to Lakes athapapuskow, Reed Lake ,Clearwater Lake, fish them every year they're pounding some big ones out the Clearwater right now

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Old 06-30-2020, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
Not on cold lake.....you will get high teens low twenties maybe.....lots and I mean lots of 5-10 pounders though.....it's that dam keeper size they got here....hopefully they come to thier senses as this lake would be a Mecca for big fish...slot size, tags?

double post

Last edited by wildalberta; 06-30-2020 at 07:54 AM. Reason: double posted
Old 06-30-2020, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post

oh im well aware, have cought hundreds of that size this year already. while it is allot of fun it would be great to try experience a bigger average size. i do agree with the slot size/tag system to try help the fishery grow. i feel like there are a serious number of trout in the lake but ive only cought 2 legal length ones this year so far. the one i did eat, which was my first laker ive eaten, was alright but im not crazy about eating another one. i would imagine that smaller ones might be better eating?
Old 06-30-2020, 08:32 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
oh im well aware, have cought hundreds of that size this year already. while it is allot of fun it would be great to try experience a bigger average size. i do agree with the slot size/tag system to try help the fishery grow. i feel like there are a serious number of trout in the lake but ive only cought 2 legal length ones this year so far. the one i did eat, which was my first laker ive eaten, was alright but im not crazy about eating another one. i would imagine that smaller ones might be better eating?
a couple pound laker is fantastic table fare.....we got a few keepers ice fishing and this year too...back they went....OP follow what 35 Whelen said...

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 06-30-2020, 08:36 AM

Quote:
This is a lake I fished a fair bit as a kid. Dad had a friend that had a cabin there. It is a deep lake and we always fished the Lakers with big rods with steel line in 100-120’ of water. I don’t recall ever pulling any giants out of there. I wanna say 12-14lbs would have been the biggest with most in that 7-9lb range. I remember myself or my brother would hook up with one of those Lakers and dad would hold onto the back of the straps of our lifejacket while we fought the fish and big rod trying not to get pulled over board. Lol.
Old 06-30-2020, 11:28 AM

I live west of Edmonton. We traditionally drive to La Ronge, stay overnight, and then drive to Nordic Lodge. This year, because of Covid issues, we will be driving straight through, about 12-13 hours total, as long as it is not pouring rain between La Ronge and Nordic.

Reindeer Lake takes a lot of time in the water to get to know. We often travel up to 40km one way from the lodge. Make sure you have the extra gas tanks.

To date, we have spent almost 100 days on the lake, often using two boats, and we still "discover" new reefs. The lake level rose a meter a few years ago, and then fell again last year.

We have always used Garmin Rhinos, keep all out tracks, and have religiously marked all our "discoveries". We have also combined elements of previous year's tracks to identify those routes we can travel at full throttle, but micro-control is required in places.

Make sure you have safety and survival gear on board. It is a big lake, and it can become impassible to boat traffic if big weather blows up.

If you are prepared and organized, it is a fantastic trip, and we rarely see others on the water, excepting tournament weekends (August long and Labour Day).
Old 06-30-2020, 11:28 AM

I live west of Edmonton. We traditionally drive to La Ronge, stay overnight, and then drive to Nordic Lodge. This year, because of Covid issues, we will be driving straight through, about 12-13 hours total, as long as it is not pouring rain between La Ronge and Nordic.

Reindeer Lake takes a lot of time in the water to get to know. We often travel up to 40km one way from the lodge. Make sure you have the extra gas tanks.

To date, we have spent almost 100 days on the lake, often using two boats, and we still "discover" new reefs. The lake level rose a meter a few years ago, and then fell again last year.

We have always used Garmin Rhinos, keep all out tracks, and have religiously marked all our "discoveries". We have also combined elements of previous year's tracks to identify those routes we can travel at full throttle, but micro-control is required in places.

Make sure you have safety and survival gear on board. It is a big lake, and it can become impassible to boat traffic if big weather blows up.

If you are prepared and organized, it is a fantastic trip, and we rarely see others on the water, excepting tournament weekends (August long and Labour Day).
Old 06-30-2020, 04:58 PM

That sounds amazing! What size of boat are you guys using?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-30-2020, 05:03 PM

The road North of La Ronge is very remote, and rough. If you do decide to trailer up there with your boat, bring at least three spare tires for your truck and boat.
Old 06-30-2020, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatwest View Post
This is a lake I fished a fair bit as a kid. Dad had a friend that had a cabin there. It is a deep lake and we always fished the Lakers with big rods with steel line in 100-120’ of water. I don’t recall ever pulling any giants out of there. I wanna say 12-14lbs would have been the biggest with most in that 7-9lb range. I remember myself or my brother would hook up with one of those Lakers and dad would hold onto the back of the straps of our lifejacket while we fought the fish and big rod trying not to get pulled over board. Lol.

Agree with you there on Whiteswan. I have a friend with a cabin there. Only ever ice fished but 5 to 10 lbs is all I've ever seen there although I'm sure some bigger ones exist.
Old 06-30-2020, 07:40 PM

That looks like an amazing trip EZM thanks for sharing that.

Those shield lakes do frighten me a bit have to admit. Cruising along with 80' of water and then busting a lower unit off or worse all of a sudden would be terrible. I guess that's the chances a guy has to take though if you want to fish water like that. I know when we eventually make it out that way I'll be pretty dang careful.
Old 06-30-2020, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Yes that is a standard crazy shield lake for sure. I hadn't thought of jumping out from that point. I have only flown in to that lake but I do know of those driving.
How long was the drive from your area?

Osky
I'm in Edmonton, so it was highway to LaRonge - so 7-8 hours on pavement, then another hard 4-5 on some pretty crappy pit run roads (not even gravel).

It has to be the one of the worst, hardest, most isolated roads on the planet .... lol .... bring spare tires for the truck, and boat and be prepared to do some "on the fly" repairs on the boat trailer and truck.

I probably would not have trailered my boat had I known it was that bad - but I'm glad we did. Got up to the crater and cruised across to the other side (weather was nice and calm) - that crater is like being in the middle of the ocean - it was so cool.

Caught laker after laker on the edges of the crater in the inlet - there must have been a million under the boat it seemed.
Old 06-30-2020, 10:58 PM

Quote:
That looks like an amazing trip EZM thanks for sharing that.

Those shield lakes do frighten me a bit have to admit. Cruising along with 80' of water and then busting a lower unit off or worse all of a sudden would be terrible. I guess that's the chances a guy has to take though if you want to fish water like that. I know when we eventually make it out that way I'll be pretty dang careful.
When I say this, for people who have never seen it themselves, they literally look at me like I'm full of it.

Where I dropped off my buddy there, he is standing in a few inches of water.

I nosed up to that shelf and gently bumped it as he climbed over. The sonar was reading 80 feet of water at the back of the boat only 18' away.

LITERALLY.

It looked like a rectangular building straight 180 degrees up on two sides of that structure.

That was in the middle of a 1.5 to 2 km opening between some islands.

If you were blasting down the lake and hit that - it's not the lower unit - you would be a dead stop and would have peeled hull there. It was inches below the surface. Your head would be through the windshield and it's game over.

We saw exactly ZERO other human life anywhere past maybe 5km from the resort/town. Zero people on the lake for days and days. If you get hurt, no cell service, nobody to see you.

If you go there - do it through a resort and get them to tell you where to go and where not to. and even then, if you are not sure - go slow and map it.

Having side imaging - was a blessing - we could at least go back over areas we mapped and knew were safe at higher speed and found we improved our base to fishing range each day. Some days we would be 100 km from the resort.

That lake is 300-350km long north to south and 100-150km wide on average - I think one of the worlds largest lakes.
Old 07-01-2020, 08:44 AM

EZ..
I have guided in the shields all my life and never really with anything bigger than a 25hp. Running a rig like yours in that country would make me awfully edgy.
Not that many years back I was on a remote lake where a guy had a 60 hp tiller on a boat.. Client and I heard it run up. Got there quick but he was a mess, luckily I had my sat phone and they got him out. He would have died there, I heard he lived.
To th OP advice from a lodge would be critical. Wherever you go do not trust government docks and remote launches. ALWAYS try to leave your road rig at a resort or some such, pay happily if you have to. I can speak from experience that if you don't you can come back to find wheels and other things missing from your vehicles.

Osky
Old 07-01-2020, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fisherman Guy View Post
The road North of La Ronge is very remote, and rough. If you do decide to trailer up there with your boat, bring at least three spare tires for your truck and boat.
Very rough haven't been there for a few years but we used to drive up to Stony Rapids every year.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Old 07-01-2020, 11:51 AM

Quote:
EZ..
I have guided in the shields all my life and never really with anything bigger than a 25hp. Running a rig like yours in that country would make me awfully edgy.
Not that many years back I was on a remote lake where a guy had a 60 hp tiller on a boat.. Client and I heard it run up. Got there quick but he was a mess, luckily I had my sat phone and they got him out. He would have died there, I heard he lived.
To th OP advice from a lodge would be critical. Wherever you go do not trust government docks and remote launches. ALWAYS try to leave your road rig at a resort or some such, pay happily if you have to. I can speak from experience that if you don't you can come back to find wheels and other things missing from your vehicles.

Osky
Yup - I'm pretty sure I had the largest boat on the entire 200,000 square km of that lake.

I basically went where he told me it was safe, the first time at a slow pace and carefully watching (as I mapped it with my electronics) - and my side image would give me a "safe corridor" 100-200' wide - so next time I went over that area, I could blast through pretty quick and get places deeper and further into area where likely no one has ever been or maybe not for 30 years.

But yes, you need to be careful up there.

It's such a cool lifetime experience - I would do it again though.

The comforts and technology on my boat were a big plus. I am pretty sure I may have the only bathymetry lake maps in the world for some of the areas I've mapped. Truly a remote experience when you can get 80km-200km further than any and all other resorts who can't get out that far into the islands and lakes. Thousands of islands, bays and shoals to explore.

As far as security for your trailer, truck and camp - I always use a resort to home base from. No issues with theft that way.

I have done many many trips to remote lakes and areas like this. All of them were great memories. I tell everyone just be super careful and extra diligent. There is no AMA, no police, no ambulance or paramedics to come get you, even if they could, it could take them days if the weather comes up. No cell service exasperates that too.