Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 07-17-2020, 08:14 PM

Default Has anyone used Birchwood casey's cold bluing?

Like to know if anyone has used this. Any prep required? Does it work and will it last?

Thank you.
Old 07-17-2020, 08:26 PM

I used ityears ago it worked but it is not a long lasting fix. The instruction on the container tell you what to do.
Old 07-17-2020, 08:50 PM

Default Gun Blue

I just re-did a old cooey 12 gage for fun and re-blued it completely. It turned out excellent. I also used the stock re-finish and the stock turned out excellent as well. Shoot me a pm with a cell or email address and Ill send you a picture of it

Pin
Old 07-18-2020, 09:16 AM

It works okay to touch up spots but it does not have the staying power of a hot blued application. That said, even hot blue wears and scratches quite easily. That is why things like Cerakote have become popular. There are a number of cold applied blue and brown versions commonly used to do black powder guns, these are still available from places like Track of the Wolf. It was the common way whole guns were done many years ago. When the finish wore, you just applied another coat.
Old 07-18-2020, 10:49 AM

I've used it for touch ups. Worked very well after a couple of coats were applied.
Old 07-18-2020, 09:32 PM

I've used it on some old gun, works well if area is cleaned of all oil. The nice thing about it the areas where the bluing did not seem to take, just clean them again and re apply the bluing. I use acetone for cleaning.
Old 07-20-2020, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sashi View Post
I've used it on some old gun, works well if area is cleaned of all oil. The nice thing about it the areas where the bluing did not seem to take, just clean them again and re apply the bluing. I use acetone for cleaning.
As Sashi has said, cleaning is very important. But, it really is good for touchups.