Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 12-21-2020, 08:42 AM

Default Little Buddy Heater

Hi All,

Does anyone know if the little buddy heater provides enough heat for a 2 man tent? Looking at getting one.

Thanks in advance.
Old 12-21-2020, 09:09 AM

I would say yes - but you may find the Portable Buddy or Hunting Buddy more comfortable on the colder days.
Old 12-21-2020, 09:10 AM

Plenty heat for 2 man tent.
Old 12-21-2020, 09:18 AM

Thanks guys
Old 12-21-2020, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinky Buffalo View Post
I would say yes - but you may find the Portable Buddy or Hunting Buddy more comfortable on the colder days.
Agreed! If space isn't an issue I would get the regular buddy heater as it'll help with the -20C or colder days.

With the Buddy and bigger sizes, you also have the option of buying a reusable propane tank (5, 10 or 20 lbs) and using a adapter hose to attach. It saves you money in the long run and you don't need to worry about constantly recycling those 1lb'ers.
Old 12-21-2020, 09:25 AM

I originally posted thinking the Little Buddy was the Portable Buddy. I agree with the others that recommended getting the Portable buddy. It's still quite portable (the Big Buddy starts to become a nuisance) and will allow you to run full size bottles when you get tired of the little one pounders. And a Portable Buddy will heat all but the largest hub shelters on the coldest days.
Old 12-21-2020, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbertanGP View Post
I originally posted thinking the Little Buddy was the Portable Buddy. I agree with the others that recommended getting the Portable buddy. It's still quite portable (the Big Buddy starts to become a nuisance) and will allow you to run full size bottles when you get tired of the little one pounders. And a Portable Buddy will heat all but the largest hub shelters on the coldest days.
x2
Old 12-21-2020, 11:10 AM

I have the little and big buddy heaters. The little will cook u out of a 2 man tent. I use either one on my large 6 man tents and work great. If u r going to hook up to a propane bottle buy the propane filter they sell which helps fouling issues. Have had my original one for 8 years. No problems, touch wood. Lol.
Old 12-21-2020, 11:24 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBigShooter View Post
Hi All,

Does anyone know if the little buddy heater provides enough heat for a 2 man tent? Looking at getting one.

Thanks in advance.
yes and make it toasty too...I got one for a six man tent which is really a two man tent with all the gear etc in it...-20 no wind kept it warm but if the wind is blowing I went with two in ours....I like to keep the ice holes free of ice.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 12-21-2020, 01:28 PM

I’ve had my buddy heater for around 12 years now. Fantastic units, in my two man tents I always end up taking my coat off. Even when it’s -20

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-21-2020, 02:22 PM

Default It will take the edge off

I found the Little Buddy will take the edge off if it's not too cold, but won't do much at -15 or -20.

I use a Portable Buddy (the single burner adjustable between 4,000 and 9,000 btu) in my 2-3 man tent and it's great. When it's cold, that bump to 9,000 btu makes a big difference.

I use a Big Buddy (the double burner one adjustable between 4,000, 9,000, and 18,000 btu) in my 6 man tent and I love it. I typically use my Big Buddy with a 20lb tank and use the inline filter, because at 18,000 btu, it chews through 1 lb bottles like chicklets.
Old 12-24-2020, 07:27 AM

Can you run one overnight and not deplete the O2 to a point where you don’t wake up? I’ve always wondered the safety in this aspect. My shack is tight so only option would be to crack the door I guess..
Old 12-24-2020, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jr_80 View Post
Can you run one overnight and not deplete the O2 to a point where you don’t wake up? I’ve always wondered the safety in this aspect. My shack is tight so only option would be to crack the door I guess..
I wouldn't chance it without a portable Carbon Monoxide detector. You can get them with a 10-year Lithium battery nowadays, so you don't even need to plug it in, or change batteries.

Like this one: https://www.kidde.com/home-safety/en...-alarms/c3010/
Old 12-24-2020, 07:58 PM

I always run a carbon monoxide monitor. But never had it alarm either
Old 12-24-2020, 09:01 PM

Default Co monitor

I tested my Big buddy heater in the canopy of my truck this year, which is as sealed up as humanly possible to avoid dust. With the heater on high , the co monitor went off with a minute or so and the Buddy heater turned off very shortly after ( so the low oxygen sensor worked, that time at least),?? Then, with the side canopy windows open 5-6” on each side and the heater on medium, I didn’t alarm again all week. DONT TAKE MY WORD FOR IT THOUGH!!!, get the detector and use it. There are a lot of variables that could get you very dead if things go wrong.
Old 12-30-2020, 10:17 PM

If its cold out and windy a little buddy wouldn't keep a tent warm but it would just take edge off of cold. I have a little buddy and big buddy. Id go with larger heater
Old 12-31-2020, 10:07 AM

My Little Buddy is actually too warm for my one-man Frabill flip-up.