Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 12-23-2020, 05:43 PM

Default Medicine lake near Rimbey

Anyone been out ice fishing at medicine lake? Any word on ice thickness or snow (guessing a few inches of snow at the most)

Looking to try a new area and the wife wants to try for perch. From my understanding it is mostly smaller pike and perch. Not expecting anything impressive size wise just looking to have a good day fishing tomorrow

Any information you are willing to add would be appreciated
Old 12-23-2020, 06:13 PM

Use to be an awesome place to fish/camp year around. Last few years campground hosts don't control anything. They just don't seem to care. Doesn't seem to matter if you poach or run your ski boat all out. ( Limit was 15km per hr as per Loon habitat) I'll never go back.
Westward Bound that runs it doesn't get it. All about filling spots.$$$

"Me neither but it's all in the eye of the beer holder"
norwestalta

.....out of bounds.....but funny none the less!

LC

"Funny how when a bear eats another bear, no one bats an eye, but......

when a human eats another human, people act like it's the end if the friggin world. News coverage, tweets, blogs, outrage, Piers Morgan etcetc.

Go figure." -Huntinstuff
Old 12-23-2020, 06:26 PM

Be a good lake to throw a camera in. Its been pretty quiet for awhile, produced good fish from time to time, deep and fertile and not susceptible to winterkill, like the previous guy said the state of the campground turns away most fisher folk, I remember there being floodwater but we always caught fish there not far from the boat launch. Worth a go for sure. Good luck. Was thinkin of it the other day actually myself.
Old 12-23-2020, 06:39 PM

It will just be a day trip no camping

Don’t have a camera because I am not big on ice fishing so don’t go enough during the season
Old 12-23-2020, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoky buck View Post
It will just be a day trip no camping

Don’t have a camera because I am not big on ice fishing so don’t go enough during the season
I would try out in front of the day use area smoky...it drops off pretty good so you don't have to be too far from shore, I used to work out there lots and seen lots of fish come out of that area. That's where I would spud my first couple holes. 8 to 15 ft you should get some action.
Old 12-23-2020, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikeman06 View Post
I would try out in front of the day use area smoky...it drops off pretty good so you don't have to be too far from shore, I used to work out there lots and seen lots of fish come out of that area. That's where I would spud my first couple holes. 8 to 15 ft you should get some action.
Thanks

Is it worth trying for perch or stick to pike?
Old 12-23-2020, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoky buck View Post
Thanks

Is it worth trying for perch or stick to pike?
I’d try for both.
Dead stick a smelt and jig a small spoon for perch.
I’ve never been there. Was gonna go for a look see this year.
Old 12-23-2020, 10:42 PM

I would try both species right there for starters. It used to be alive with perch and some 12 inchers in the mix ...if you get a bunch of little 4 inch pecker perch I would try 20 ft deep in the same area you might only have to move out 50 yards to find that depth. If you don't get pike in that area then I would be real surprised. Hope I save you some work. Medicine is like a dried meat or coal or battle lake, headwaters lake full of small to medium pike and historically had some decent perch. All I hear lately is people whining about the campground and that's the only access I know of so you might be surprised good luck to ya. Check the ice if you drive on it.
Old 12-24-2020, 05:49 AM

Quote:
I would try both species right there for starters. It used to be alive with perch and some 12 inchers in the mix ...if you get a bunch of little 4 inch pecker perch I would try 20 ft deep in the same area you might only have to move out 50 yards to find that depth. If you don't get pike in that area then I would be real surprised. Hope I save you some work. Medicine is like a dried meat or coal or battle lake, headwaters lake full of small to medium pike and historically had some decent perch. All I hear lately is people whining about the campground and that's the only access I know of so you might be surprised good luck to ya. Check the ice if you drive on it.
Thanks again just having coffee and will be kicking the wife out of bed to try our luck soon
Old 12-24-2020, 02:43 PM

We went from first light till 1pm and had a good time. Good number of pike biting but most dropping it before reaching the tip up. We managed a handful all under 2ft. Lost one at the hole that was bigger but tops 30inch. We didn’t try for perch long so no surprise we did not catch any

Not a bad little lake and would be great for C&R pike with kids
Old 12-24-2020, 04:32 PM

Good job smoky. Its never let me down, glad you found some success.
Old 12-24-2020, 04:33 PM

Was there floodwater?
Old 12-24-2020, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Was there floodwater?
Nope and only about 3inches of snow
Old 12-26-2020, 10:02 AM
Suspended User

For some reason Medicine Lake hasn't been getting larger Pike these last few years. Possibly got washed downstream during spawning, again.

Glad you got out. How much ice was there? Been thinking about renting a motel room and spending a day hitting the old secret spots. But with limited access points we need to be able to drive around. There are several springs that can really mess you up if the ice isn't thick.
Old 12-26-2020, 10:11 AM

14inch just out from the boat launch. Didn’t travel around to say if it varies much
Old 12-26-2020, 08:38 PM
Suspended User

It does. Across from the launch are springs. Also another one down off the bay on the third loop. We had good luck off that bay in the early season, years back. It's a bit of a hike but it might be worth trying
Old 02-22-2021, 09:32 PM

Anyone been out here lately? Any luck? Looks king of to go other than gull or
Sylvan