Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 03-20-2021, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zabbo View Post
This may actually be the best solution for ending the crap show!
I finally understand your point of view and I agree with it. Thanks for such logical thinking and helping us to see the light.

Ban crown land camping because some people have no morals. Instead of trying to enforce laws and consequences on these people, the only real solution is to ban this practice across the country even though most of us get it right and don't need an officer to tell us how to do it respectfully.

Thank you.

Shoot.. you know we also have some *****s who abuse firearms.. I agree with your way of thinking, let just ban firearms for everyone.

Your such a smart guy.
Old 03-20-2021, 09:55 AM

Yep, don't need or want more taxes. This will do nothing to stop the idiots, malicious or inconsiderate. We as a species is destructive and selfish. Additional taxation will not solve this.
Old 03-20-2021, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skidderman View Post
It's another hidden tax, nothing less, nothing more. Just like the new storm water tax in Spruce Grove & Stony. They don't want to raise taxes because that causes them to get voted out. They now figured out hidden taxes is the way to go. A few complain, most don't. Get used to it. We will see a lot more of this type of tax. I don't believe for one minute that it's about the environment.
It’s not hidden at all, it’s 30 bucks. That’s not much, I’ve paid more to pitch a tent for one night. I never go random camping unless I backpack in. These random camping areas are all total garbage dumps now, it’s actually disturbing how people can make such a mess.
Old 03-20-2021, 10:02 AM

The landlord increased our rent because someone left a mess in their apartment that the DD didn't cover..
it was the best solution to ending the crap show..wait what.
Old 03-20-2021, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zabbo View Post
As already stated, dishing out fines sounds great, but from a legal view point not that easy.
Drone surveillance.
Fly over areas before weekend, fly over in the morning. Hand out fines for littering and make them clean up.

Seems easy to me.
Old 03-20-2021, 02:42 PM

Another thing to keep in mind is this isn’t the only fee they want to impose. Look at the end of the article, they would like to add day use fees for provincial parks and other areas. This is just a test of the waters to add tolls to use public land. It won’t just end at the parks either the crown land will be hit as well.
Old 03-20-2021, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hilt134 View Post
Another thing to keep in mind is this isn’t the only fee they want to impose. Look at the end of the article, they would like to add day use fees for provincial parks and other areas. This is just a test of the waters to add tolls to use public land. It won’t just end at the parks either the crown land will be hit as well.

A lot of parks and campgrounds charge day use fees already. If you're inside their boundaries why shouldn't you pay to use the same beaches, picnic areas, and boat launch areas the temporary residents do? Is it because you don't put your trash in the same bins? Use the same washroom facilities? Fish the same fish?

Who provides the maintenance for what you DO use?

Unbelievable how privileged some come across here. Try doing the same things in the States and see how that goes for you.
Old 03-20-2021, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Map Maker View Post
Drone surveillance.
Fly over areas before weekend, fly over in the morning. Hand out fines for littering and make them clean up.

Seems easy to me.
That strikes me as extremely expensive and a rather large over reach by conservation officers. I

Is it surprising we are seeing fees on what was one of the only recreational activities people could partake in for the last year.
Old 03-20-2021, 03:38 PM

I don't really mind the $30/yr. What I don't like is people who think they "own" crown land, you own it as much as I do and what makes you think you can do whatever you with my land if there is any ownership. Just treat crown land as a benefit and don't think it is your right when you have done nothing to own it anymore than everyone else. I applaud the people who enjoy recreational/hunting etc activities and work to purchase some property for them to enjoy those activities on land that they actually own. I realize this may not be a popular opinion on here.
Old 03-20-2021, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 270person View Post
A lot of parks and campgrounds charge day use fees already. If you're inside their boundaries why shouldn't you pay to use the same beaches, picnic areas, and boat launch areas the temporary residents do? Is it because you don't put your trash in the same bins? Use the same washroom facilities? Fish the same fish?

Who provides the maintenance for what you DO use?

Unbelievable how privileged some come across here. Try doing the same things in the States and see how that goes for you.
Well that’s the joy of being Canadian. Not having to try things in the states.

here’s the hitch. We already pay for conservation and conservation enforcement. We pay for the management of our public lands. Through license fees, win cards, and something called taxes. So far our government and our law enforcement officers have proved themselves unable to enforce the laws on random camping. Here’s what we don’t know. Why? So far I haven’t seen any reports from the CO’s stating lack of funds as to why they aren’t patrolling these areas. The government hasn’t released any study saying the budget is the problem. You may be perfectly fine giving the province any funds they ask for. Personally I’d like so concrete proof I’m not just funding a pathetic attack on a children’s Bigfoot movie.
Old 03-21-2021, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hilt134 View Post
Well that’s the joy of being Canadian. Not having to try things in the states.

here’s the hitch. We already pay for conservation and conservation enforcement. We pay for the management of our public lands. Through license fees, win cards, and something called taxes. So far our government and our law enforcement officers have proved themselves unable to enforce the laws on random camping. Here’s what we don’t know. Why? So far I haven’t seen any reports from the CO’s stating lack of funds as to why they aren’t patrolling these areas. The government hasn’t released any study saying the budget is the problem. You may be perfectly fine giving the province any funds they ask for. Personally I’d like so concrete proof I’m not just funding a pathetic attack on a children’s Bigfoot movie.

Well said, and spot on!!!!!!!
Old 03-22-2021, 09:17 AM

Wink Why stop there?

There are so many opportunities for revenue enhancement in our province, we've barely scratched the surface with this lame $30 license.
I propose the cities revisit the annual license for out-of-owners that take advantage of city taxpayer funded amenities. They congest our streets, some drive in an unsafe manner, some leave garbage everywhere, some commit crimes while far from their homes.
Another great revenue idea is mandatory licensing for bikes and scooters using taxpayer funded pathways. They travel along weaving all willy-nilly through the pedestrian traffic. Some even ignore common sense safety measures and put others at risk.
What about an annual litter license for everyone over the age of 18? On top of that, we could make it mandatory for all restaurants that provide take-out orders to charge an additional litter levy on the food bill, because we all know that most of the takeout packaging will end up on the ground. Someone has to clean it up. That sound like good idea?

Remember, we're all in this together. We all have to do our part. The only solution is digging deeper and giving more of your money to the government.

Enjoy the decline.

“We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did.”- Thomas Sowell