Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 05-07-2013, 09:25 PM

Default bear pond and big iron lakes

ok so i have a list about these 2 places.
1. how long are the hikes to each
2. how big do the grayling get
3. when does the ice come off
4. are you aloud to camp
5. is there any other species besides grayling
answers to any of the questions will help even if you dont have them all
Old 05-07-2013, 09:32 PM

1. 20 mins to Bear, 60 minutes to BIron
2. Winter killed about 5-6 yrs ago...small and few now.
3. No idea...late.
4. K country. Lots of random camping in area. Not sure about lake though.
5. No.
Old 05-07-2013, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lds View Post
ok so i have a list about these 2 places.
1. how long are the hikes to each
2. how big do the grayling get
3. when does the ice come off
4. are you aloud to camp
5. is there any other species besides grayling
answers to any of the questions will help even if you dont have them all
1 - Never been to Big Iron, but Bear pond is short... probably 750 yards from the parking lot. Big Iron isn't a whole lot farther from what I know.

2 - I've caught grayling to about 14" in Bear Pond.

3 - Ice should be off soon, if it's not already.

4 - Not sure about camping, although I would't see the point at Bear.

5 - No other species as far as I know. Both are prone to winter kill.
Old 05-07-2013, 09:33 PM

Well sir, I am here to provide accurate answers to your aforementioned requisitions.

Even though you didn't say please!

1. Steep.
2. Huge.
3. Yesterday.
4. No.
5. Yes.

Good luck!
Old 05-07-2013, 09:51 PM

Awesome. 3 replies, 3 different bits of info in each.

1. Lakes are close, 60 minutes away, and steep.
2. Fish are small, 14", and huge.
3. Ice is off already, soon, or will be on for some time yet.
4. There is camping in area, not at lake, but you wouldn't want to anyways.
5. There are only grayling in the lakes, although there are other species not worth identifying.

Gotta wonder who has actually been there! LOL!
Old 05-07-2013, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icallwalleyepickerel View Post
Gotta wonder who has actually been there! LOL!
Have you?
Old 05-07-2013, 10:34 PM

Yup, many times.

My answers...

1. Bear pond is about 15 minutes up a steep hill. Big Iron is not easy to find, you have to go to the end of Bear, and follow the myriad of trails down the valley, across the meadow, and to the lake. It's not as close as it looks on Google Earth. It's a good 45 min walk.

2. Fishing used to be stellar. Lots of 12 inch and smaller hungry fish. Best fished from a belly boat or similar. Far end of lake (shallow) best, around the submerged structure. Unfortunately there was a severe winter kill years ago, and the lake was not restocked for years. I have no idea if they have since restocked, but the fishing has been poor in comparison. Fish are smaller and harder to come by.

3. Haven't been this year, but knowing that the lake is about 2 Kms from the pass, I would guess that it is still ice bound. I could be wrong, but doubt it. There are lakes that are closer to Cgy that are still fully iced. Betcha there is still a whack of snow at the pass. All you need to do is look West...the rocks are still very very white.

4. That whole area around Indian Graves is used each year for random camping...almost right up to the pass. I do recall seeing a "no fire" sign at the parking lot of Bear, but I forget if there is a "no camping" sign. My guess...no camping, as it would be a free for all if it was allowed. I have never seen anyone camping, which is why that is my guess.

5. Just grayling,in both lakes.

Testify!
Old 05-07-2013, 10:54 PM

Both Bear & Big Iron were re-stocked after winter kill at the same time last spring. I'm uncertain if these fish made it through this past winter to provide a fishery again this year. Soon we'll know.

Dace
Old 05-07-2013, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icallwalleyepickerel View Post
Yup, many times.

My answers...

1. Bear pond is about 15 minutes up a steep hill. Big Iron is not easy to find, you have to go to the end of Bear, and follow the myriad of trails down the valley, across the meadow, and to the lake. It's not as close as it looks on Google Earth. It's a good 45 min walk.

2. Fishing used to be stellar. Lots of 12 inch and smaller hungry fish. Best fished from a belly boat or similar. Far end of lake (shallow) best, around the submerged structure. Unfortunately there was a severe winter kill years ago, and the lake was not restocked for years. I have no idea if they have since restocked, but the fishing has been poor in comparison. Fish are smaller and harder to come by.

3. Haven't been this year, but knowing that the lake is about 2 Kms from the pass, I would guess that it is still ice bound. I could be wrong, but doubt it. There are lakes that are closer to Cgy that are still fully iced. Betcha there is still a whack of snow at the pass. All you need to do is look West...the rocks are still very very white.

4. That whole area around Indian Graves is used each year for random camping...almost right up to the pass. I do recall seeing a "no fire" sign at the parking lot of Bear, but I forget if there is a "no camping" sign. My guess...no camping, as it would be a free for all if it was allowed. I have never seen anyone camping, which is why that is my guess.

5. Just grayling,in both lakes.

Testify!
The only thing that I can add to the above accurate description, is that both lakes completely winterkilled two years ago. They were restocked last spring with 1-cm Arctic grayling fry, which should be about 10 inches this year, provided that they overwinter. If the lakes don't winterkill, the grayling can grow to about 16 inches in about five years.

Jim
Old 05-08-2013, 07:22 AM

I was lucky enough to catch a couple 18" grayling out if Bear. But that was before the winterkill. Agree completely on the 14" average however. Like stated above I have never seen a sign at Bear regarding no camping. I wouldn't even bother. One thing I did notice though is the amount of poaching I have seen at Bear which of course I called in.
Old 05-09-2013, 06:13 AM

Why no point in camping there?
Old 05-19-2021, 08:35 AM

Default 2021 Update?

Has anyone been back here in awhile? I see this is a very old thread. Was planning on taking some good friends in to Big Iron for an overnighter. Not so concerned about the fishing its just more of getting out in the hills.

Any current or recent information would be greatly appreciated.
Old 05-19-2021, 09:27 AM

Default Bear Pond

My son was up there 2 days again and said there was dead fish all along the shore. Not sure why they keep putting fish in there.
Old 05-19-2021, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishinisgood View Post
My son was up there 2 days again and said there was dead fish all along the shore. Not sure why they keep putting fish in there.
That's disappointing news, I went up there one week ago, Wed. May 12, and it was still completely frozen, so I wasn't able to fish.
Old 05-20-2021, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstelfox View Post
The only thing that I can add to the above accurate description, is that both lakes completely winterkilled two years ago. They were restocked last spring with 1-cm Arctic grayling fry, which should be about 10 inches this year, provided that they overwinter. If the lakes don't winterkill, the grayling can grow to about 16 inches in about five years.

Jim
I hope we will still have grayling there. Jim...that lake was a gem and a huge fishery thanks to you.

https://open.alberta.ca/dataset/be2e...eport-2020.pdf

On the website they only show stocking rainbows in Bear and Big Iron.

I called and talked to someone last year who thought the grayling program has been cancelled.

Quarry Lake is likely to just die off. Wedge will die off if there are any left.

Huge shame. Huge shame.
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 05-20-2021, 08:42 AM

I agree with you Sundancefisher, the grayling will be missed if the stocking program is finished.
Old 05-20-2021, 10:00 AM

I thought Quarry Lake had a strong, self-sustaining Grayling population! I know that F & W used to net it in the spring to strip milt and eggs for their hatchery. The T.U. biologist used to organize some local fishers to come and assist with rod-caught fish for the program.
Old 05-20-2021, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thumper View Post
I thought Quarry Lake had a strong, self-sustaining Grayling population! I know that F & W used to net it in the spring to strip milt and eggs for their hatchery. The T.U. biologist used to organize some local fishers to come and assist with rod-caught fish for the program.
I don’t recall them spawning on their own successfully. The lake was a source for eggs. I volunteered in the past to angle for them at egg collecting time.

Wedge was a fun little lake also. Anyone know what’s happened there?
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 05-21-2021, 03:33 PM

I used to fish at Wedge quite a bit after it was stocked. The grayling were tons of fun with a fly rod.

The pond isn't very deep and I think fish have a hard time over wintering. Plus, between the Osprey and poachers keeping fish, the pond is emptied quickly.

I haven't seen anything rising there at all in the last few years.

I did notice that they changed the regs this year and added trout size limits to all the ponds that formerly were stocked with grayling. Maybe they are going to start stocking trout too.
Old 05-21-2021, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancefisher View Post
I don’t recall them spawning on their own successfully. The lake was a source for eggs. I volunteered in the past to angle for them at egg collecting time.

Wedge was a fun little lake also. Anyone know what’s happened there?
Regarding Wedge Pond, I think it winter killed in 2019 and as far as I know it's never been re-stocked. It's unlikely there are any fish in it currently.
Old 05-22-2021, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott N View Post
Regarding Wedge Pond, I think it winter killed in 2019 and as far as I know it's never been re-stocked. It's unlikely there are any fish in it currently.
I saw loons swimming around there last year but no risers.

Use to be a blast for grayling there.
Old 05-22-2021, 09:11 PM

Alberta has stopped the grayling stocking program and I would be surprised to see it starting up again. I asked the question on the regulation changes session: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5cXM0FglaJI&t=3394s

They have to build a hatchery and develop grayling brood stock to start stocking again.

Wedge was a favourite pond of mine.
Old 05-22-2021, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by badger View Post
Alberta has stopped the grayling stocking program and I would be surprised to see it starting up again. I asked the question on the regulation changes session: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5cXM0FglaJI&t=3394s

They have to build a hatchery and develop grayling brood stock to start stocking again.

Wedge was a favourite pond of mine.
Did they say what was wrong with continuing to use Quarry as the brood source?