Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 05-20-2021, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbertanGP View Post
Nice. I see lots of those up here. Congrats.

I just mounted the rod holders on the outside of my little 16' Lund yesterday and thought I was really on to something. Looks like someone beat me to it.
I install rodholders on outside of every boat I own. Gets rods and net out of way for fighting fish. I saw it on lots of boats on west coast if they don’t have the hardtop. I have rod holders mounted on doghouse too but they hold tools
Old 05-20-2021, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayhad View Post
Limbo, what's under the dog house and what squirter?

Sick boat,
Jay
Jay, motor is a 200 HP mercury optimax with a sportjet.
Old 05-28-2021, 08:54 PM

Have been picking away at the boat a bit here and there. All the plywood has new vinyl on it. Livewell is re installed much better and stronger than factory. New rear seat installed in a better spot and used the old rear seat to add another spot mid boat. Once again though trying to get the right screws for the deck has still been troublesome and holding up the show so to speak. I tried a bunch of fastener places locally including fastenal which was recommended (still appreciate the suggestion just didn't work out this time) and no one really seemed to want to make any effort in trying to find the right screws (stainless Ive learned is a real p.i.t.a).

Shortly after I decided to try to go right through Crestliner via Martin Motorsports and all looked really good. Fellow that I talked with sourced the screws within an hour and they were supposed to be here by the 14th or late last week. Long story short I started really hounding them this week and today I find out the order hadn't even been processed yet. Fairly ****ed to say the least.

So back to phoning around and ended up finding something I'm happy with out of K2 fasteners in Edmonton and since they are mainly a wholesaler I had to coordinate with a more local retailer to get them without paying the $100 minimum for cash sales. Funny thing is a lot of the stores I had called previously deal with K2 I guess and no one lifted a finger to actually try and get what I needed.

Anyways as most projects go it's the seeminly little things that bite you in the end. Boat is nothing special at all but I still want to try and do things as proper as possible so it doesn't give any long term issues for me or to whoever I eventually sell it to down the road.
Old 05-29-2021, 07:51 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.
Thumbs up

Got the new motor installed....heading out today....wind calmed down

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 05-29-2021, 08:49 AM

I was nearly 30 miles from Rupert coming in when huge waves kicked up and smoked a deadhead. 0 warning, crested a wave and crash bang there we sat. After a few seconds we realized it had not ripped the leg off, and tried to regain forward motion. Any attempt for speed and there was a huge rumble, very bad vibration. Not knowing if we were going to sink or not, I called in a Pan Pan, informed the coast guard of our situation and just tried to keep the boat off the rocks. They sent out a high speed vessel to assist, and dispatched the crew ship to tow. It was early an hour before they arrived. I kept in contact with CG updating our status and location.
It was so rough they were unable to attach a tow line so we had to get back to the lee side of the rocks, where they attached and towed us back.
It was a 2 hour tow, we stayed in my boat in emergency suits, nothing fun about the experience to be sure.
When I trailered I couldn't see any damage, so I dropped the leg oil. No chunks or shavings. I pulled the leg, ujoints were good. I pulled and replaced the gimbal bearing and reinstalled the leg, had it at the local dealer who also inspected but saw no damage.
AO's resident guide told me that it was likely a piece of log stuck to the blade, every rotation would cause vibration and capitation. Of course we could not inspect in such rough water.
We fished all day yesterday and it was perfect. We got lucky in many ways that day.
Today- fishing. Wish us luck.

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....

Last edited by Ken07AOVette; 05-29-2021 at 09:03 AM.
Old 05-29-2021, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken07AOVette View Post
I was nearly 30 miles from Rupert coming in when huge waves kicked up and smoked a deadhead. 0 warning, created a wave and crash bang there we sat. After a few seconds we realized it had not ripped the leg off, and tried to regain forward motion. Any attempt for speed and there was a huge rumble, very bad vibration. Not knowing if we were going to sink or not, I called in a Pan Pan, informed the coast guard of our situation and just tried to keep the boat off the rocks. They sent out a high speed vessel to assist, and dispatched the crew ship to tow. It was early an hour before they arrived. I kept in contact with CG updating our status and location.
It was so rough they were unable to attach a tow line so we had to get back to the lee side of the rocks, where they attached and towed us back.
It was a 2 hour tow, we stayed in my boat in emergency suits, nothing fun about the experience to be sure.
When I trailered I couldn't see any damage, so I dropped the leg oil. No chunks or shavings. I pulled the leg, ujoints were good. I pulled and replaced the gimbal bearing and reinstalled the leg, had it at the local dealer who also inspected but saw no damage.
AO's resident guide told me that it was likely a piece of log stuck to the blade, every rotation would cause vibration and capitation. Of course we could not inspect in such rough water.
We fished all day yesterday and it was perfect. We got lucky in many ways that day.

Great story, fun to tell the ones that turned out so good. A lot of people wonder what the Coast Guard does and why we spend so much money on it. If they had experienced what you have they wouldn't wonder any more. Great to have such a professional and competent group for these kinds of rescues. Best of luck with the fishing!
Old 05-29-2021, 09:10 AM

Thanks Dean.
I was trying to make up my mind about filing an insurance claim or self repair as we were being towed, thought for sure it would be a new Bravo 3 lower end and likely drivetrain, set of props. I definitely got lucky.
Out there that day the kicker would not have touched the water. Just the way the channel is when wind waves and tide hit perfect conditions very quickly.
The CG guys were just fantastic. One guy stood on the back deck the entire 2 hours with headphone radio gear, never took his eyes off us for a moment. They towed at 14 kts any faster and we fell out of their wake, which was a rodeo.
I had the leg trimmed up all the way back, and could see the spray off the props. That's likely where they dislodged the piece of log.

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 05-29-2021, 10:57 PM

Finally cleaned all the winter crap piled up on boat. Motor quit end of last summer, got it all clean and tools out, battery charged, and fresh gas. Friend coming over to help me diagnose. Fingers crossed....
Old 05-29-2021, 11:01 PM

Updated the software on the Xi5 and got it ready to fish tomorrow.
Old 05-30-2021, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank_NK28 View Post
Updated the software on the Xi5 and got it ready to fish tomorrow.
It's still going to constantly "hunt" for a heading in Heading Lock and randomly ramp to full speed. lol. Mine is going to eventually send whoever is casting on the bow for a swim. Good thing I always fish in the back,
Old 05-31-2021, 09:46 AM

I got a used trolling motor for a good deal but it came with an older boat. I'm trying to get it to fit onto our good boat, but unfortunately it was not designed with motor mounts so I've just got it tied onto the handle. It actually worked ok for a bit but then the outer chamber of the boat was losing air and the mount was about to slip off, but good thing i tied those knots pretty good. Now I gotta find out where it was losing air from, it was fine last year and I stored it pretty good over the winter. Probably going to order an actual motor mounting kit for this boat soon though.
Old 05-31-2021, 03:04 PM

I meant to add to this thread last week.....what did I do to my boat today? Sold it! To a fantastic new owner. Wife and I are stoked to officially be shopping for an 18' with a 90 tiller. Can't wait to get into something with a proper dance floor on 'er.....
Old 05-31-2021, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken07AOVette View Post
I was nearly 30 miles from Rupert coming in when huge waves kicked up and smoked a deadhead. 0 warning, crested a wave and crash bang there we sat. After a few seconds we realized it had not ripped the leg off, and tried to regain forward motion. Any attempt for speed and there was a huge rumble, very bad vibration. Not knowing if we were going to sink or not, I called in a Pan Pan, informed the coast guard of our situation and just tried to keep the boat off the rocks. They sent out a high speed vessel to assist, and dispatched the crew ship to tow. It was early an hour before they arrived. I kept in contact with CG updating our status and location.
>>
Son of a gun? Unnerving at best, I'm sure. Glad to know there wasn't any damage to the rig, Ken.
Indeed, the Coast Guard don't get too much appreciation until they are needed. Even though most do as much as they can to ensure a safe and sound journey, things happen.

Still looking forward to some pics!
Old 05-31-2021, 03:35 PM

Default What did you do to your boat today?

Added in some ABS rod storage and re did the casting decks with eva foam backed by 3M, fun fact, if you clean aluminum with a 50/50 isopropyl water solution, 3M basically will not come off lol

Last edited by stein; 05-31-2021 at 03:43 PM.
Old 05-31-2021, 09:45 PM

Finally took the tinner I'd resurrected out for its shake down cruise. Been 25 years since I launched a boat and it wasn't pretty. Forgot to put the plug in....
Yep, and the wife was there to see it happen and so were 3 other people. Oh well, bailed it out and off we went.

Anyway, the new motor started first pull and ran great for the 2 hours we were on the water.

The boat however, not so much, I really don't remember it having a leak near the bow that visibly gurgled up at the center seam under the front bench. . Frequent bailing was again required. I'm getting good at it. Will be investigating and repairing / caulking whatever I find.

Oh, almost forgot, the new wiring harness I so carefully installed has a new 10" splice in it...the plug didn't reach the receptacle on the bumper. A true "WT#" moment, then I remembered I didn't use the hitch when I tested the lights. .

I am really looking forward to a much better next outing. Maybe I will even get to try fishing.
Old 06-03-2021, 12:50 PM

Since Monday, I have completed the following on my jet boat.

Monday: Completed UHMW install, removed UHMW, cleaned swarf and reinstalled UHMW.

Tuesday: flipped the boat solo using a jack and ratchet straps.

Wednesday: removed dash, reinstalled dash 10" forward and 7" up, this provided for far more leg room in the cabin.

Today, I hope to build the windshield and side window frames
and get them installed. As well as getting fore and aft bulk heads boxed in.

Measure, Measure, cut, grind, weld, and grind that's all.
Old 06-07-2021, 09:31 AM

Going to finish up the windshield, I hit it a little hot and it twisted so I need to fix it.
Then I hope to drop the pump intake in today.
Old 06-07-2021, 09:42 PM

Scuttled it, like the Graf Spee.
Old 06-07-2021, 11:41 PM
Gone Hunting

I haven't taken either of my boats out of the shed in thee years.

My brothers and I had planned on a trip to the NWT last spring but covid put an end to those plans.

Then my health took a turn for the worse, so I haven't had either out in the past three years and don't expect to have either out this year.

It's hardly worth it. We don't have any lakes close to us and driving three hours one way for three small fish just doesn't make sense to me.

Besides, I doubt I could wrestle a 1500 pound boat off and back onto the trailer all by myself. Damn heart issues sure handicap a guy.

These days just walking from the house to the truck wears me out.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 06-08-2021, 09:45 AM

I got the handles and rails completed and windshield completed. Today I hope get the intake in and the pump box built.
Old 06-08-2021, 10:21 AM

Thumbs up

Got the hours put on the new yammy F25 now to change the oil/filter and enjoy more days on the water.

Old 06-08-2021, 09:44 PM

Got the new to me 20hp Merc on and running. Relocated the trolling motor battery to the bow. Then took my son and his friend (6 and 7) out fishing to Rattlesnake. Trying to hook into some walleyes, which didn't go very well. Got one pike to the boat for the friend but the last thrash cut the line (pike on a walleye set up...)

Might have to find a more productive lake than Rattlesnake but being as we live about 10 min from it makes it so convenient.
Old 06-09-2021, 05:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbertanGP View Post
It's still going to constantly "hunt" for a heading in Heading Lock and randomly ramp to full speed. lol. Mine is going to eventually send whoever is casting on the bow for a swim. Good thing I always fish in the back,
Worked as it should. Trolled 6 hours and not once searched for a heading or ramped up to full throttle but then it never ramped up prior to the updates though it did search for a heading often originally. All the features worked as they should. Sure made for a nice frustration free day of fishing!
Old 06-09-2021, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank_NK28 View Post
Worked as it should. Trolled 6 hours and not once searched for a heading or ramped up to full throttle but then it never ramped up prior to the updates though it did search for a heading often originally. All the features worked as they should. Sure made for a nice frustration free day of fishing!
Glad to hear yours is working good. It's a great system in principle/when it works properly. But it is known to have several issues. Even Lowrance has acknowledged that the gateway hasn't worked as well as they had hoped.

I like mine too other than the occasional full throttle burst (which is dangerous IMO) and the fact that I can set "cruise" by throttle setting but not by speed as I should be able to. I may pick up a Ghost in the near future and move the Xi5 to the mapping boat now that Lowrance has released a 60" shaft.
Old 06-09-2021, 03:13 PM

Thumbs up No more updates this year....maybe...haha

Well just installed the new seats and that about sums it up for this year...maybe...

Helix 7 fish thingy...

F25 outboard "yammy"

Rod holders

New seats.....hmmmm....even got the fish stink on too....

191709359_3016489381918113_4511561583770827188_n.jpg

Old 06-11-2021, 09:18 PM

De-winterized and cleaned the ol girl and put on a skeg guard to fix/hide last year's whoops. Ready for our first outing of the season

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk
Old 06-11-2021, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodhead View Post
De-winterized and cleaned the ol girl and put on a skeg guard to fix/hide last year's whoops. Ready for our first outing of the season

Looks like an old Glascon Tri Hull that is still in great shape. Nice to see.
Old 06-12-2021, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
Looks like an old Glascon Tri Hull that is still in great shape. Nice to see.
It's a Canaventure but yeah it's in good shape considering it has seen 7 decades and multiple owners.

Old 06-13-2021, 10:57 AM

this same boat design was sold under a lot of different brand names ,.
the one we had was a fiber tech but the same boat hull.