Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 09-25-2021, 05:44 PM

Default RCBS Summit press

I recently bought an RCBS Summit press. This cute little thing looks impressive. But there weren’t many reviews to look at. I’ve had it about a week now and I’ve tried a few processes with it. I’ve loaded mostly precision bottle neck rifle cases, but I have also tried a few things with straight walled cases.

And what a better way, then to do a side by side comparison with a Forester Co-Ax?

This Summit needed some tweaks right out of the box. In the picture below you can see the lever bolts. These have spring washers for adjustments. And to be fair to the people who assemble these…they probably don’t use one. Still, the whole mechanism had so much side to side play, that I had to tighten and adjust them a few times before I got it the way I like. Runout would have been a big casualty here with this kind of slop right out of the box.

I won’t mention specs here. Those are available on the RCBS website. I really wanted to see how a press that didn’t free-float like the Co-Ax would perform. Firstly, I must say that screwing in dies is a pain in the butt. The Co-Ax wins on this convenience by having a die slot. Die changes are very quick and easy. The Summit….not so much. Although this is probably a first world problem. The Summit also has a bushing that allows the use of larger sized dies. But that bushing would always thread out when trying to remove a die. A small frustration that the Co-Ax does not share. A picture below shows the bushing.

The first thing I tried was de-capping. Not a precision step, but it got me used to the lever throw. I ended up switching the handle to the left position because I have come to do a lot of press operations left handed.

It felt very nice, after some generous lubrication on the piston and pivot points. (It was completely dry out of the box.) Here you can see the de-capping process. The Summit has a catch tray for spent primers. It holds about 70 large primers before needing emptying. I like the Co-Ax’s primer tube that routes the primers below the press better then this system. I attached a clear hose to its pipe that drops spent primers into a bottle below the Co-Ax.

The next thing I tried was some sizing. To start, I did some .308win Lapua cases. Once I got the Whidden adjusted for .0005” shoulder bump, the Summit performed as well as the Co-Ax. No difference here between the two presses. Both presses are easily repeatable with this process.

I should note that I use my Co-Ax to prime. The Summit doesn’t have an “on the press” system to prime. I guess… unless you had a priming die set up like Lee, you could use it on the Summit…(?).

The last thing I tried with a bottle neck case was seating. Here the Summit did poorly compared to the Co-Ax. The Co-Ax has a free float operation for the case and die. This uses the power of physics to line everything up. Typically, my runout with the Co-Ax is in the range of .00125”. The best I could manage with Summit and the .308 and Juggernaught bullet was .00350”. This is pretty typical with a press that doesn’t free float like the Co-Ax. But I must say, I didn’t seat too many (only 6) on the Summit with those results.

Seating operations with straight walled cases aren’t as important to me as the precision bottle neck cases. Here, the Summit performed admirably. Sorry, I didn’t measure runout on the .38spl cases I tried (who really does that with pistol calibers?).

So all in all, the Summit is a keeper. It feels great. The operation is smooth and firm, after the before mentioned adjustments and lubing I had to make. I just won’t be doing any precision seating operations on it. But it will get a lot of use in my loading room.

I’ll try and chime in after a few months with some more observations.
Old 09-25-2021, 06:01 PM

Are your Whidden dies, bushing dies?

-Billy Molls
Old 09-25-2021, 06:10 PM

Thanks for sharing your review.

I think you can use the hornady lock and load bushing system on this rcbs press, to making switching dies a breeze.

That bullet runout does not sound so good for a single stage press. I ended up buying a traditional press instead of the summit (hornady iron press). Runout is typically less than 2 thou, but a few odd ones here and there.

For straight wall cases, any press will do the job

-Reza
Old 09-25-2021, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck View Post
Are your Whidden dies, bushing dies?
Yes they are.
Old 09-25-2021, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6MT View Post
Yes they are.
Thanks. I have a few of them. They make straight ammo, but they could use a little less space for the bushing IMO. Interestingly enough, Wilson bushing dies have zero slop and they produce almost zero run out as well.

-Billy Molls
Old 09-25-2021, 08:57 PM

Nice review 6mt. In the future I don’t think I will be buying anything but bushing dies.
Old 09-28-2021, 08:48 AM

As long as you're getting the proper size bushing for what you're comfortable with for your neck tension. When I began using bushing dies to control neck tension, my initial tension was .002". I now use .003" tension. The tighter tension shows better S.D. numbers when I chrony my loads.
Old 09-29-2021, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6MT View Post
As long as you're getting the proper size bushing for what you're comfortable with for your neck tension. When I began using bushing dies to control neck tension, my initial tension was .002". I now use .003" tension. The tighter tension shows better S.D. numbers when I chrony my loads.
Are you finishing with a mandrel, or just the bushing?
Old 09-30-2021, 05:35 AM

Just the bushing.