Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 11-19-2021, 11:03 PM

Default Moose experts

Hey guys,

Today when I was tracking moose I came across some that had occasional drops of urine and droppings a few at a time stretched out along the tracks. Is this indicative of a cow in heat? If not, is this observation useful to me in any way?

Thanks.
Old 11-19-2021, 11:04 PM

Just a cow
Old 11-19-2021, 11:40 PM

Older cow just like an older Lady they develop bladder leakage... Cow moose don't have access to the things with wings

Sorry not sorry couldn't resist.
Old 11-20-2021, 12:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NKP View Post
Hey guys,

Today when I was tracking moose I came across some that had occasional drops of urine and droppings a few at a time stretched out along the tracks. Is this indicative of a cow in heat? If not, is this observation useful to me in any way?

Thanks.
Literally watched two bulls make tracks like this just yesterday. If you can determine where the animal was standing when the dribbles were made they can be helpful, or if droppings were made at the same time their relative position might also be a somewhat useful indicator.

If you check out the "Today's Setup" thread, near the end, I posted some rough measurements I took from those bull's tracks which might help you. There's also some talk about pee marks.
Old 11-20-2021, 12:30 AM

Thanks guys. I’ll look into this more.
Old 11-20-2021, 09:02 AM

Cow moose under stress dribble into the snow. The moose knows you are around and is stressed, not sure which way to exit the territory. Cow moose being tracked will dribble. If peeing down her leg then you know you are tracking cow not a bull.
Old 11-20-2021, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Grey Wolf View Post
Cow moose under stress dribble into the snow. The moose knows you are around and is stressed, not sure which way to exit the territory. Cow moose being tracked will dribble. If peeing down her leg then you know you are tracking cow not a bull.
I wondered if this would be part of the answer too. Seems like poor evolutionary behaviour.