Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 03-25-2022, 01:18 PM

Default asphalt curb

After our street received new pavement my wife has had trouble backing her car out of the driveway due to a sharp drop between the curb and the new surface. She tore a front plastic piece off which resulted in a $700 bill. Where can I get an asphalt or rubber piece to lessen the drop off. I dont know what to call it. I did try a couple of places but no reply back to check on availability. BEL
Old 03-25-2022, 03:11 PM

Default thanks

I have used 2x4's and 2x8's but they float down the street during rain storms. One of my new neighbors was not amused. Thanks for the website. BEL
Old 03-25-2022, 04:15 PM

A quick Google search for curb ramps tells me Amazon , U line and a few others.

Or bolt a piece of steel pipe under your 2x6. And it will likely stay in place and let water flow under it
Old 03-25-2022, 06:01 PM

Princess also has "ramps" for this purpose.
Old 03-25-2022, 07:12 PM

Just be careful with what you use cause if your neighbors complain about it, in the city, they will come and remove it and charge you for what you did. Also check your "bylaws" for what can be left on the street. Drive out and back in on an angle slowly usually helps(takes a couple tries). It does work for me. Lots of people anchor the big rubber pads that are made for this to the ground and it could be illegal. They are usually heavy enough not too. Also depends on where you are on the block it can restrict the natural drainage of water off the street. Small backup but neighbors complain and out you go. Warning first then a fine

Last edited by barbless; 03-25-2022 at 07:18 PM.
Old 03-25-2022, 07:24 PM

Dumb question, but have you contacted the Town office about the issue? Ask them come out to take a look. You could also show them the repair bill. If the Town isn’t aware of the problem they cannot do anything to fix it.
Old 03-26-2022, 02:39 AM

Is this what you want ? $290 shipped

https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B07LF6QSBW/...ing=UTF8&psc=1

Basically one of these... Four foot, with some yellow stripes.

Old 03-26-2022, 07:05 AM

Default Dolly

We had a town counsillor out for a look. Nothing they can do besides replacing the whole street. The company who laid down the asphalt just laid it out over the top of the old stuff. It created a dome like effect. Does not matter how carefully she backs out, a corner of the plastic catches. Thanks everyone I found a supplier. BEL
Old 03-26-2022, 07:39 AM

Send a photo! What type of car does she drive! Must be pretty low or a pretty poor pavement job!
Old 03-26-2022, 08:19 AM

I have lived with this problem in our col de sac for years
A couple of neighbors at the to of the col actually used concrete and filled in the dip
nobody says anything so all is good
But where I am if I filled in the dip it would block the water runoff
I tried using concrete and pouring the concrete on a piece of tar paper in case I had to take it up but the concrete broke up
There always has been lots of kids in out area and I worry that if I put something in the dip and a kid hit it with his bike and got hurt I would get sued
The kids like to take their bikes up the driveway of the two houses that concreted their dip and get their bikes going as fast as they can over the dip
It would be safer for the kids to fill in the dip but the city would have to do it in case of accidents
I found if I just use two by six the kids do not like that and stay away from my dip
I just go find my wood after every rain storm
Old 03-26-2022, 08:22 AM

My 2016 corolla touches the front air dam when im backing out also. Lafarge and the city should be ashamed of how some of the streets turned out in my neighborhood
Old 03-26-2022, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jungleboy View Post
A quick Google search for curb ramps tells me Amazon , U line and a few others.

Or bolt a piece of steel pipe under your 2x6. And it will likely stay in place and let water flow under it
This sounds like a realy good idea and if not a piece of pipe,perhaps a piece or two of angle iron.
If people concentrated on the really important things in life,there would be a shortage of fishing poles.Doug larson. Theres a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot. Steven Wright.
Old 03-26-2022, 12:20 PM

Default Jerry

It is a Terrain which has a plastic piece on the lower front end. She has trouble with those concrete curbs in some parking lots also. And yes, it was a terrible job. We live in a close on a corner lot. The side is even worse. The first time I drove my 5th wheel trailer along the side of the house I thought it was going to go over. lol. B