Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 04-20-2022, 05:08 PM

Default Ruger #1

I have a ruger that I want to refinish the stock. I have the stocks off the firearm, but I don't know how to take off the cap on the pistol grip. Do I just use a sharp prybar and pop it off?
Old 04-20-2022, 05:15 PM

No! Do not pry or twist you will wreck the stock they are screwed on under the little logo. Need to drill a small hole and remove the logo and then screw off

Last edited by fps plus; 04-20-2022 at 05:36 PM.
Old 04-21-2022, 05:22 AM

Thank you.
Old 04-21-2022, 09:47 AM

Default Cap removal

Hi. Carefully drill a small hole in the center of the brass button (has the Ruger logo). Drill just the depth or thickness of the button, otherwise you will damage the screw underneath the button. It is phillips. Then take a larger bit that is close to the button OD, but smaller than the cap ID that the button is pressed into. Once you have the larger relief hole, carefully pry the remaining button circle out. Of course you have to be able to careful not to put tool pry marks on the edge of the cap where the brass button is pressed into. Then just simply remove the screw. The metal grip cap is not glued, but instead uses one small teat that keeps the cap aligned with the wooden grip. Midway USA or brownells sells replacement brass buttons for when you are done and reassemble. Maybe call western gun to see if they have buttons. I haven’t tried them, but it’ll be worth a call to avoid the south of the border shipping and customs headache. There might be other ways to remove the cap without damage, but this is the way I’ve done 4 #1’s.