Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 03-30-2022, 09:00 PM

Default Question- Mother in laws Masectomy (update)

My mother in law was diagnosed with breast cancer last month. They pushed her through the scans etc as it spread to her lymph nodes and they were worried it was to her bones. She got results today that it has not spread that far but is booked for surgery to removed 1 breast and her lymph nodes.

I have never dealt with anyone who had cancer as I have no family left on my side. I was wondering if anyone here has experience with someone who has had this surgery.

What could we get that will help recovery? Anything we could buy to help her with comfort etc.

Ay pointers would be appreciated.
Old 03-30-2022, 09:39 PM

Be thankful that she had a proper diagnosis and is scheduled in the system for surgery and treatment. Follow all of the surgeons/oncologists recommendations pre and post-op, as they will help guide you regarding any of her needs before and after. Other than that, just be the supportive husband and son-in-law that you are.
Old 03-30-2022, 10:10 PM

She will likely be in pain and limited in caring for herself for a while. laying down a good base of easy meals and snacks would help remove the chore of cooking.. Someone to clean house and run interference for a while

Sleeping position could need modification so full length body pillows could assist in giving bracing and a degree of comfort.A transition team /social worker will identify specific equipment and available supports before release

And someone to attend her follow ups and be her advocate

Last edited by omega50; 03-30-2022 at 10:24 PM.
Old 03-30-2022, 10:18 PM

My wife went through that and it's about a traumatic experience a woman can have, there are support groups, Reach for Recovery ? and counselling helps available , but spousal support is vital and not always there. It's a physical thing and a lot of husbands find it impossible to deal with. It was a journey for both of us, no way around that. The initial shock came out of the blue, when she discovered a lump in her breast, put her in a panic mode, being in the medical field. Then the doctors kept reassuring her not to worry, right into the surgeon's office.

The good news is, if the tumor hasn't spread into the lymph nodes, that would place her at a stage l, with an excellent chance of recovery. They usually take the adjacent lymph nodes for biopsy, which can affect arm motion and possible swelling. . Then they give you options for treatment, my wife chose chemo followed by several years of Tamoxifen. The chemo was not pleasant and she lost most of her hair, a wig fixed that. In the end, she chose a breast reconstruction, health care covered , and lived another productive 30 years.

Grizz

Isaiah 5:8

Last edited by Grizzly Adams1; 03-30-2022 at 10:29 PM.
Old 03-30-2022, 10:56 PM

Listen to her. Give her space, then come back in a few hours.

It is painful. They cut and dig and pull and remove breast tissue.....it hurts.

From my experience, let her lead this dance.
Old 03-31-2022, 01:21 AM

I can give you some hope based on my long gone grandmother. In 1953 she had breast cancer. She was some of the first to have her breast removed and some of her lymph nodes. She carried on until the mid 80's when she got it in the other and it was removed as well. 30 days later she was painting on the outside of the house. She lived until age 87 and until the end had a pretty good life. I know it doesn't always work that way but the good news if you can call it good is that it appears they caught it early. In addition my grandfather was always by her side even helping wash dishes & so on.
Old 03-31-2022, 05:50 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HVA7mm View Post
Be thankful that she had a proper diagnosis and is scheduled in the system for surgery and treatment. Follow all of the surgeons/oncologists recommendations pre and post-op, as they will help guide you regarding any of her needs before and after. Other than that, just be the supportive husband and son-in-law that you are.
This is spot on.

My cousin went through this just recently and I think her positive fighting mindset was critical in this very trying time but like all of us needed that support system in place.

Hope the best.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 03-31-2022, 08:04 AM

Default Support.

Lots of good advise here. My wife had it in the one breast elected to remove both, a decision she is comfortable with 6yrs out.

Chemo was the worst for us, having said that cancer treatments have come a long ways- chances are your mother in law will be able have positive outcome.

Lots of support out there, being in the system opens your eyes to what a good health care system we have.

Best of luck.

Creeky....

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#I Am An Outdoorsman And I Approve This Message

#creativity can't wait for technology
Old 03-31-2022, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutbug View Post
My mother in law was diagnosed with breast cancer last month. They pushed her through the scans etc as it spread to her lymph nodes and they were worried it was to her bones. She got results today that it has not spread that far but is booked for surgery to removed 1 breast and her lymph nodes.

I have never dealt with anyone who had cancer as I have no family left on my side. I was wondering if anyone here has experience with someone who has had this surgery.

What could we get that will help recovery? Anything we could buy to help her with comfort etc.

Ay pointers would be appreciated.
Hi troutbug, I can offer some help from a man's perspective. I, (yup, a guy) got breast cancer!!! It was back in 2015, and we lived in Ft. McMurray then. I had just retired and the cancer was discovered in September that year, just a month after discovering a growing lump in my breast, then I rapidly had numerous tests and consultations, surgery for radical mastectomy on my left breast was immediately done (in just a few days following confirmation of the cancer) because the cancer was determined to be an aggressive type and was growing very quickly. Surgery revealed that cancer had just begun to spread into the lymph nodes (1 of 22 removed was cancerous). At that point, just 6 weeks after discovering the lump, I was declared to be stage 2. If we'd have waited it would have been much more serious.

About a month after surgery I began chemo treatments following consultations with oncologists in Edmonton at the Cross Clinic. I underwent 6 treatments spaced 3 weeks apart. Had white cell tests done prior to each chemo treatment to ensure I could 'take' the treatments. One treatment had to be done in Edmonton, the rest were done in Ft. McMurray. I was not very ill from the chemo, just had a couple of bad days, and I was quite fatigued. I couldn't even walk around the block without taking 2 or 3 rests.

Lost every hair on my body too, and I'm a pretty furry guy; that was unsettling and scary, especially when the hair just started falling out one day Most of it has grown back, just extra thin up top and I've got quite a hairless area on my left chest .

After finishing chemo I began radiation treatments in Edmonton for 3 weeks. That was suggested as optional, but recommended as a kind of 'insurance' to help kill off any possible cancer cells. Radiation treatments were okay, just a bit uncomfortable, and I was really tired, no energy at all.

I was offered reconstruction surgery, but opted to keep my scars; having a missing nipple and scars is not a big deal for me. For women, though, reconstruction is something that certainly helps for making a person feel 'normal' again.

I continue to have an annual mammogram of my right side, and continue taking a pill of tamoxofin every day (just like the ladies do). It's recommended I take that for 10 years unless there are obnoxious side effects; 6 1/2 years later so far so good .

Lingering side effects from the chemo treatments:
one is mental fatigue, I can't focus for as long as I used to, I get mentally 'tired' if I do too much for too long, so I've learned to pace myself.
I have loss of feeling in my left arm and down the left side of my chest, and often feel 'cold' on that side.
Also, I have some discomfort on my feet, numbness and tingly feelings all the time, and sometimes cramping in my toes , feet, and occasionally in my legs, arms and hands. Could be worse. That restricts my walking ability somewhat - can't go long distances anymore.

My faith was a great source of help in going through it all, as was positive support from family and friends. Sometimes it was hard to keep a positive outlook, but I was constantly encouraged to focus on beating it. All the medical people I interacted with while going through it all were great. They will recommend what your mother-in-law will need. There are lots of resources available, so take advantage of whatever is available.

Hope and pray it goes well for your mother-in-law.
Blessings to her and you,
Mistagin
Old 03-31-2022, 12:34 PM

Besides adding prayers for a complete recovery (and acknowledging those who have walked this route) I would like to offer a few practical bits.

1. If having radiation, apply LOTS of pure Alovera on the target site, this will help with the 'burning' feeling.

2. Once stitches are out start applying real Vitamin E oil, NOT synthetic. Get capsules of real vitamin E and pierce them with a needle. This will keep scarring to a minimum and keep the wound site soft and flexible. Do it 2x a day for several months. A bit messy at times but worth it!

3. Once the stitches are out, while lying on the bed raise the arm as far as possible from the side straight up until you can eventually let it drop to above your head flat on the mattrass. Do this several times a day. Initially it will hurt like billy be damned, but will get easier each day. This is critical for full arm movement later on. It will stretch inner scar tissue to allow the movement once healed.

4. And for you..... keep reassuring her she isn't just her outside, ALL of her is beautiful. Give the surgery site a name instead of calling it 'the scar' or 'the site' - Maybe Boo (short for boob). Once something has a name it's familiar, and you can psychologically handle the trauma much better.

Hope these help. Been there, done that, and even have the t-shirt!
Old 03-31-2022, 12:40 PM

Troutbug. No experience at all yet please know your Mother in law is in our thoughts and prayers along with your whole Family. Wishing all the best and a quick recovery.
Old 05-11-2022, 07:41 PM

I appreciate all the information shared. Life has been hectic so I totally forgot to thank everyone. The masectomy went ok, was pretty sick after, obviously in pain, fought some infection etc.

We though surgery was going to get it all but it did not. She is stage 3 and now needs Chemo and radiation. Also when they removed lymph nodes there was nerve damage to the nerves in her arm so now she is having issues with usage of that arm. She is in for quite a fight. We are doing what we can. I started a go-fund-me for her as the costs are adding up and after her appointment recently and finding out costs are not all covered by what plan the FIL has they are in for a tough time. If you can help, great, any info on what we can do for her while going through chem/radiation is also appreciated. I lost my mom years ago and have no family left on my side so this is tough to watch. I am doing everything I can for everyone. My FIL is taking it very hard, the thought of losing the love of his life is eating away at him bad. Hes used up all his vacation time for appointments etc and isn't a wealthy man by any means.

https://gofund.me/9128525c
Old 05-11-2022, 07:51 PM

Contact these guys , they give out funding for those going through cancer treatments. It is a one time payment you just fill in the application and send it in. I believe it’s $1200 now

https://www.hayinginthe30s.com/