Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 12-08-2009, 09:58 AM

In the Wishart study it showed the average base size for rams taken out of Cadomin. 1976-1981 14.6", 1982-2000 15.4", 1992-2001 15.4", 2002-2004 15" The current world record Crousen sheep has bases of 15 7/8"

Averge north of the bow river is 14.8" 1960s and 14.5" 2000s
South of the bow river is 15.6" and 15.9" respectively

But ovbiously north of the bow river they must have the south beat in length.
Old 12-08-2009, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by podman View Post
In the Wishart study it showed the average base size for rams taken out of Cadomin. 1976-1981 14.6", 1982-2000 15.4", 1992-2001 15.4", 2002-2004 15" The current world record Crousen sheep has bases of 15 7/8"

Very intresting numbers. Thanks for posting for us.
Anyone know what the bases on ksteed17's monster measured up?

www.dmoa.ca

Pro Staff member for:
Benelli, Sako, Beretta, Tikka, Franchi, Burris, & Steiner
Old 12-08-2009, 10:25 AM

just so you know that is ksteed and podmans ram....
Old 12-08-2009, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockymtnx View Post
Very intresting numbers. Thanks for posting for us.
Anyone know what the bases on ksteed17's monster measured up?
I shot it with KSteed17, looking back we should have taken both; the other rams bases were just as big but did not have the length. But this was the first big game I have ever shot. I have a friend who lost his ram to mm and did not want that to happen so to be safe we only took 1.

His bases were originally 17 inches by everyone including F&W but at the official measurement went 16 6/8ths for those who didn't see the B&C scores here they are again.

length R 41 5/8 L 40 4/8
Bases R 16 6/8 L 16 6/8
First Quarter R 16 1/8 L 16/2/8
Second Q R 15 2/8 L 15 2/8
Third Q R 9 7/8 L 9 2/8
Tip to tip 14 5/8
Greatest spread 22 3/8

total deductions 6/8

Measured thanks to Paul Erickson
Old 12-08-2009, 10:32 AM
sheephunter

Quote:

Good info podman...from what I've seen, most people way over estimate score on Cadomin rams, primarily due to base size. The vast majority are sub 15". No doubt there are some real bruisers there but you'd be lucky to find a handful with 16" bases.
Old 12-08-2009, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck View Post
Can someone that is an ace at statistics do the math on the chances of being drawn twice? I'm guessing they are astronomical. But that's a guess.
Is that the odds of being drawn twice for a regular mortal, or twice for an outdoor writer that you are looking for chuck?
"I find it amazing that we, as a society, find it so easy to view the perpetrators of crime with an understanding and knowing that they are suffering from the frailties of being a human being yet we cannot seem to extend that same courtesy to the very people we ask to face, on a daily basis, the worst that mankind has to offer."
-Dave (Whiskey Wish)-
Old 12-08-2009, 10:56 AM
sheephunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TangoKilo View Post
Is that the odds of being drawn twice for a regular mortal, or twice for an outdoor writer that you are looking for chuck?
Dang, if there are special outdoor writer odds, what the heck am I doing applying in 408???
Old 12-08-2009, 10:58 AM

Quote:

I didnt care if he was a painter, i had the time of my life being right there beside em for 5 days in the most gorgeous area for bighorns in the world.
We had a blast and seen some monster rams, hope i get that draw one day.
Thanks again rich it was a pleasure.
Old 12-08-2009, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheephunter View Post
Dang, if there are special outdoor writer odds, what the heck am I doing applying in 408???
Counting the number of outdoor writers who have drawn the 408 trophy sheep tag in the last few years, I think your number will be coming up very shortly!!
"I find it amazing that we, as a society, find it so easy to view the perpetrators of crime with an understanding and knowing that they are suffering from the frailties of being a human being yet we cannot seem to extend that same courtesy to the very people we ask to face, on a daily basis, the worst that mankind has to offer."
-Dave (Whiskey Wish)-
Old 12-08-2009, 11:24 AM

Quote:
I shot it with KSteed17, looking back we should have taken both; the other rams bases were just as big but did not have the length. But this was the first big game I have ever shot. I have a friend who lost his ram to mm and did not want that to happen so to be safe we only took 1.

His bases were originally 17 inches by everyone including F&W but at the official measurement went 16 6/8ths for those who didn't see the B&C scores here they are again.

length R 41 5/8 L 40 4/8
Bases R 16 6/8 L 16 6/8
First Quarter R 16 1/8 L 16/2/8
Second Q R 15 2/8 L 15 2/8
Third Q R 9 7/8 L 9 2/8
Tip to tip 14 5/8
Greatest spread 22 3/8

total deductions 6/8

Measured thanks to Paul Erickson

we tried everything to get those last 2/8ths out of the bases as well haha....great night. paul was awesome.

i should of had a sheep tag and taken that 2nd one haha
Old 12-08-2009, 03:10 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Counting the number of outdoor writers who have drawn the 408 trophy sheep tag in the last few years, I think your number will be coming up very shortly!!
Can't wait for mine to come up. Should be soon, eh Sheep!
Old 12-09-2009, 11:05 PM

Default Cadimon rams

Great rams! I was lucky enough to get a tag for the first hunt of november and was sucessful in harvesting a ram which green scored about 193.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg hunting 2009 164 (640x480).jpg (127.3 KB, 697 views)

Last edited by Ricko Swava; 12-09-2009 at 11:22 PM. Reason: ADD PICTURES
Old 12-09-2009, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricko Swava View Post
Great rams! I was lucky enough to get a tag for the first hunt of november and was sucessful in harvesting a ram which green scored about 193.
Congrats on your hunt. Hopefully you have some pics to share with us.

www.dmoa.ca

Pro Staff member for:
Old 12-09-2009, 11:32 PM

Quote:
WOW Absolutely beautiful ram..

Congrats..
Old 12-10-2009, 12:51 AM

Congrats Darrell and Kim and Ricko, those are some great rams!
Old 12-10-2009, 05:34 AM

wow ricko awsome ram and congrats to ya,that snow deffintly helped didnt it
Old 12-10-2009, 05:53 AM

Congrats Ricko, great ram!

Welcome to the board, also.
Old 12-10-2009, 08:41 AM

WOW!!! Those are two beautiful rams!!! Congrats on your trophy's!
Old 12-10-2009, 10:03 AM

Ricko, pig of a sheep! Way to go man.
Old 12-10-2009, 10:05 AM
sheephunter

Great looking ram Ricko...I heard there were only 4 rams killed on the draw permits and one on the Minister's raffle permit so you definitely beat the odds....with a great ram to boot. Congrats!
Old 12-10-2009, 10:06 AM

Quote:
BEAUTIFUL RAM. I like the wide curl. Keep the pics coming.
Old 12-10-2009, 11:15 AM

Ricko, Great looking ram man , do have any more field photos of that bad boy . Congrats and thanks for sharing!!
Old 12-10-2009, 11:47 AM

Thats one of the most awesome lookin rams I've seen in a while Ricko!!
Old 12-10-2009, 12:26 PM

Ricko, that is one true trophy.
Congrats again.

www.dmoa.ca

Pro Staff member for:
Old 12-10-2009, 03:24 PM

what a ram, well done!!
Old 12-10-2009, 04:30 PM

WOW...Nice Ram Congrats!!!!!

MM
Old 12-10-2009, 05:49 PM
jrs

Beautiful ram, and great photo. Thanks for sharing.
Old 12-11-2009, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheepguide View Post
She is a hand full!! We had her in B.C and got her a stone this fall. Part way through the hunt her brother even flew in to pack her gun and some gear for her. Knowing Randy im sure they butted heads.
I have watched this forum in hopes of learning what I can and help in assisting my sister in making the right decisions for her quest to harvest a true Alberta bighorn after purchasing the premier tag. One thing I learned in this effort was what a great forum and a great bunch of enthusiastic hunters sharing stories, information and pictures. I am truly envious of what a truly special thing you all have up North for opportunities to hunt sheep and all the trophy opportunity that exists. I am very lucky to have had the opportunities to come up there and hunt sheep.
I have attached a picture of her ram she harvested on Nov 29th. The ram is 41”x 15 5/8” and the CO rough scored the ram around 193. A true representation of what Alberta bighorns are all about. I cropped her picture because I did not get permission from her to post it and she is not one to brag about herself. I don’t really want her to see a couple of the miss construed posts either. What a great hunt and unbelievable area. The weather will test your nerves! We did hunt with Randy and he is a first class professional and has all of our respect.
I would however like to clear a little bit of the muddy water from the quote in my reply by sheepguide.
Yes I did fly down half way through her Stone hunt in BC. Not to pack her gun and supplies. I originally planed to be with her the whole hunt but could not leave home at the start of the hunt. My sister, my brother in law and I always support each other on our sheep hunt when we can. My brother in law was also hunting sheep in another camp and we felt it was more beneficial for me to help her on her hunt. I love hunting sheep and who would pass up sheep hunting over having to work when you have the opportunity. She had her sites set pretty high with a 165 or better ram. I hunted the area in the same camp for 31 days the 2 previous seasons and from that we knew this was not going to be an easy challenge. Having another pair of eyes on the mountain was going to increase her odds of finding a ram she was looking for.
I believe your comment “She is a handful” may reflects her passing four rams equal to or better than all the rams you harvested with the exception of your last one. Two of which we could have taken on her third and second to the last day of her hunt within less than a 30 minute hike from camp. On her last day she harvested the best ram she seen on the hunt which was 9 years old 36”. If memory serves me correct this was a pretty hot topic earlier this year between yourself and other forum members and your belief was to many hunters was killing little rams and not holding out for the bigger rams or even going home with the tag in their pocket.
She walked into every basin her guide asked her to go and I know personally a fare share of his past hunters did not make it into half of the ones she did. Yes I did help pack her gun. Yes she is not as strong as some hunters and I was fresh and could save her energy by taking some of the weight off her. I also packed the tripod for the spotting scope to share the weight of it with the guide. She packed her own back pack with her gear, lunch and drinks.
Maybe it was the day we was to fly out and the pilot lost his nerve and would not land and take off in the snow at the upper camp. In all the years the guide has guided in the camp all the other past pilots managed to due it. So she took the 7 hour horse ride out and she showed her frustration. Yet she could have been out a day earlier if we would have busted out that late afternoon when we got the note drop from the airplane to ride to lower camp air strip were there was less snow, but it would affect the next hunters hunt and she chose to wait to lessen the impact of his hunt.
I recall two hunters on this particular hunt quit their hunt early because of all the logistical problems with the airplane and they were afraid they would not get out on the day they was scheduled to be out. One was the antlered hunter from your camp and the other was the antlered hunter from her camp.
Sorry if I seem just a little frustrated but your comment left the wrong impression to me, to Rockymtnx per his reply and left the window open for ForestDweller to add in to something that is simply not correct. I believe you should know the facts before putting something out like that and if your intent was not wrong you should have corrected it after Rockymtnx replied to it.
The hunt with Randy was awesome and a lifetime experience. There was no head butting or conflicts between her, Randy or any of us. I am sure their was times of frustration but pretty minor and yes everyone’s nerves were getting tense due to Nov 30th being the last day she could hunt. She set her goal for 190 or better and she got it done. She passed rams clear to the day she harvested including the ram Kim harvested. We had the ram spotted on the other side of the mountain from Darryl and Kim, Her goal was for 190 and we were not sure he would make it and we thought Darryl and Kim was in the area so we looked on for other options. After reading the story I am really glad we did not go for this ram. No one would want to be the fault of interrupting a great scenario like that, which leads into the great memories and story they have.
I hope you have a better picture of her than what the comment represented. She is a true sheep hunter. Sheep is the only animal she hunts. Yes she has her down falls just like all of us do, but I am pretty proud she just completed her grand slam harvesting the four best rams she found on her four hunts. She has walked off the mountain with unfilled tags in her pocket and could have killed smaller young aged rams. Two of her rams are book rams. She killed all four of her sheep with one good clean shot on each ram. Wish I could say that!
Congratulations to Darryl and Kim for their two Very Nice Rams!
Keep sharing all the awesome stories and information
Happy Hunting,
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 082.jpg (27.9 KB, 602 views)
Old 12-11-2009, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Live2HuntSheep View Post
I would however like to clear a little bit of the muddy water from the quote in my reply by sheepguide.
Yes I did fly down half way through her Stone hunt in BC. Not to pack her gun and supplies. I originally planed to be with her the whole hunt but could not leave home at the start of the hunt. My sister, my brother in law and I always support each other on our sheep hunt when we can. My brother in law was also hunting sheep in another camp and we felt it was more beneficial for me to help her on her hunt.
Thanks for clearing up the story. Before any of us jumped to conclusions we should have remembered that there is always two sides to a story.
Congrats to your sister on a incredible Alberta bighorn. That indeed is one true trophy.
Thanks for sharing with us.

www.dmoa.ca

Pro Staff member for:
Old 12-11-2009, 11:06 AM

X2!
Great ram and now I've heard a new opinion of Randy to boot!