Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 07-13-2022, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roper1 View Post
Sooooooo, who do I send whiskey to so I can get on the Oilers wagon, Flames ain't making the playoffs..........

Requires an invite and....well, you know.

Vaya con dios muchacho.
Old 07-13-2022, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jungleboy View Post
Easy there big fella no need to use that kinda language.
Lol.

Can’t say L$#%*¥ also I presume.
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 07-13-2022, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jungleboy View Post
I can’t figure you out SDF you are in the Oilers thread saying “We” need this and you are in the Flames thread saying “We” need.

You should be a politician
Few guys do that. When convenient, they trot out "Well I'm actually a Hawks/Canadians/etc. fan."
Old 07-14-2022, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trochu View Post
Few guys do that. When convenient, they trot out "Well I'm actually a Hawks/Canadians/etc. fan."

Some of us were around during the original 6 era. Pretty hard to break those childhood allegiances. Then move around, in my case to 3 different cities with NHL franchises, during your lifetime and its not hard to develop a soft spot for the locals over time.

I've always been a Hawks fan #1 and watching them hoist 3 cups in 6 years was awesome. Some teams won't win that many in their entire existence, ahem, but having lived in Wpg, Cowgary, and Edmonton I still cheer for 2 of those 3. Calgary is a big never simply because of their fans. They're like Toronto and Montreal fans for me minus the winning part.
Old 07-14-2022, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 270person View Post
Some of us were around during the original 6 era. Pretty hard to break those childhood allegiances. Then move around, in my case to 3 different cities with NHL franchises, during your lifetime and its not hard to develop a soft spot for the locals over time.

I've always been a Hawks fan #1 and watching them hoist 3 cups in 6 years was awesome. Some teams won't win that many in their entire existence, ahem, but having lived in Wpg, Cowgary, and Edmonton I still cheer for 2 of those 3. Calgary is a big never simply because of their fans. They're like Toronto and Montreal fans for me minus the winning part.
Careful. Don’t want people questioning how on earth you could be a Jets fan and an Oilers fan at the same time.

It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 07-14-2022, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancefisher View Post
Careful. Don’t want people questioning how on earth you could be a Jets fan and an Oilers fan at the same time.

I lived in Wpg early to mid 80's. Tickets were cheap in the old arena and they had great teams back then. 8x 20 goal scorers one year. Hawerchuk was a beauty.

How the hell the Oilers came back from being down 3 -1 the one year I'll never know. Some great series vs the Flames too. Those teams didn't like one another much.
Old 07-14-2022, 07:49 PM

Quote:
I lived in Wpg early to mid 80's. Tickets were cheap in the old arena and they had great teams back then. 8x 20 goal scorers one year. Hawerchuk was a beauty.

How the hell the Oilers came back from being down 3 -1 the one year I'll never know. Some great series vs the Flames too. Those teams didn't like one another much.
Hawerchuk was a class act all the way and an amazing player. He was instrumental in discovering Mangiapane’s talent. He is one of my favourite players in the past.

Great connection to the Flames.
Old 07-15-2022, 11:26 AM

This article is priceless.

https://editorinleaf.com/2022/07/13/...mpbell-oilers/

Campbell may not work out, time will tell, but saying Hyman and Barrie are bad contracts is hilarious and quite frankly delusional.
I mean for the price of Tavares Toronto could have kept both Kadri and Hyman😂

Must be pretty clear how to do things that don’t get a team past the first round over there

Last edited by ganderblaster; 07-15-2022 at 11:32 AM.
Old 07-15-2022, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganderblaster View Post
This article is priceless.

https://editorinleaf.com/2022/07/13/...mpbell-oilers/

Campbell may not work out, time will tell, but saying Hyman and Barrie are bad contracts is hilarious and quite frankly delusional.
I mean for the price of Tavares Toronto could have kept both Kadri and Hyman😂

Must be pretty clear how to do things that don’t get a team past the first round over there
There is risk with Campbell as there is with anybody. Kuemper at 6 years or Campbell at 5? Kuemper may be a little better but he's also been injured and he's older. 2 years older? The article is fairly laughable. Hyman? That's money right there. Smitty said it best when his kid said he wanted to be like Connor. "There's only one Connor. Be like Zach Hyman". Cody Ceci in his first year. Very good first year and great value. They are pretty bitter over there.
Old 07-16-2022, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerald J View Post
There is risk with Campbell as there is with anybody. Kuemper at 6 years or Campbell at 5? Kuemper may be a little better but he's also been injured and he's older. 2 years older? The article is fairly laughable. Hyman? That's money right there. Smitty said it best when his kid said he wanted to be like Connor. "There's only one Connor. Be like Zach Hyman". Cody Ceci in his first year. Very good first year and great value. They are pretty bitter over there.
Good post.

Campbell doesn’t need to stand on his head to make a meaningful positive change for the Oilers.

Confidence in your goalie means more aggression and confidence on your offence.

When Oilers offence hit all cylinders they are crazy unstoppable. With Kane taking some pressure off McDavid it should be a great year to come.
Old 07-18-2022, 06:31 AM

Good morning Alberta champions.
Old 07-18-2022, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talking moose View Post
#webroketheFlames (thanks Bessie)

edit
#kane
Old 07-18-2022, 08:41 AM

Indeed #WEBROKETHEFLAMES

If Campbell provides steady, reliable, slightly above average goaltending we will be just fine. We have not had that in a long, long time.
Old 07-18-2022, 10:15 AM

Default Have faith…

Quote:
Originally Posted by roper1 View Post
Sooooooo, who do I send whiskey to so I can get on the Oilers wagon, Flames ain't making the playoffs..........
Bud… ya never know… Treliving could put a young lunchbox crew together and they could do some damage.

Team sports are neat that way.

….. but I’ll save ya a spot on the wagon jus in case.

Bring crown ok?
"I don't always troll, only on days that end in Y."
Old 07-21-2022, 07:57 AM

Default trade rumor

Reports out of Calgary this morning that Harvey the Hound has asked for a trade.

Gerry Burnie
Old 07-21-2022, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCC View Post
Reports out of Calgary this morning that Harvey the Hound has asked for a trade.

He played like a dog in the playoffs too. May as well go the same route as Fifi and Spot.
Old 07-21-2022, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talking moose View Post
Battle of Alberta air brush art.
https://youtu.be/VjvGXK2nA2c
Old 07-26-2022, 01:50 PM

Edmonton has signed Puljujarvi to a one year contract worth $3M.

If I'm reading my cap geek page correctly, they are now approx. $3M over the cap and still have to sign McLeod and Yamamoto. In my mind Yamamoto is worth more, so what's he asking for, $3.5 - $4M, McLeod likely around $800k to $1M, so possibly $7M over once everybody is signed? Looks like Holland isn't going on holidays quite yet.
Old 07-26-2022, 02:42 PM

Quote:

If I'm reading my cap geek page correctly, they are now approx. $3M over the cap and still have to sign McLeod and Yamamoto. In my mind Yamamoto is worth more, so what's he asking for, $3.5 - $4M, McLeod likely around $800k to $1M, so possibly $7M over once everybody is signed? Looks like Holland isn't going on holidays quite yet.
Foegele and Barrie trades will take care of that. Also I still think Pool Party is on his way out of oil town. Having the contract in place now gives other teams security and what he will cost them next year. I can see a trade to Seattle for Carson Soucy or a similar type d-man.

Just need to save enough to sign Phil the Thrill
Old 07-26-2022, 03:17 PM

Quote:

They've got about $3.5M in cap space left with the Klefbom and Smith LTIR money.

Still gonna be tight to impossible to get McLeod and Yammer signed and be under the cap. It's possible with a couple demotions to the AHL (Shore?)

Something will have to give. I'm OK with it being JP, as long as the return is decent. A draft pick alone would be disappointing.

I think a Foegele trade is wishful thinking. It would be a pure salary dump, but it's probably the best answer if there's no good offers for JP.

Moving Barrie for a defensive D man to play the right side and some cap space would be my preference.

I guess we'll find out in good time...
Old 07-26-2022, 03:43 PM

I personally think Barrie is a massive part of the Oilers PP success. His offensive ability to create multiple play scenarios while stick handling along the blue line keeps the opposing PK frozen and creates room for Drai and Mcdavid. Barrie can also stick handle his way out of trouble on the Blue line.

Bouchard has a bomb of a shot and they could build a PP system around that but his stick handling and passing is no where near the speed and ability of Barrie yet the way I see it. Would have to be an almost entirely different system which may not be a bad thing either as many teams seem to have the current one figured out, and they have become a lot more successful defending against it.

Not saying they wouldn’t be successful without Barrie but he is a massive part of their PP success with the system they have now.
Old 07-26-2022, 07:44 PM

Quote:
I personally think Barrie is a massive part of the Oilers PP success. His offensive ability to create multiple play scenarios while stick handling along the blue line keeps the opposing PK frozen and creates room for Drai and Mcdavid. Barrie can also stick handle his way out of trouble on the Blue line.

Bouchard has a bomb of a shot and they could build a PP system around that but his stick handling and passing is no where near the speed and ability of Barrie yet the way I see it. Would have to be an almost entirely different system which may not be a bad thing either as many teams seem to have the current one figured out, and they have become a lot more successful defending against it.

Not saying they wouldn’t be successful without Barrie but he is a massive part of their PP success with the system they have now.
I agree with your assessment of Barrie vs Bouchard. Quarter back power play (Barrie) works excellent with 1 D-man and 4 forwards. Big bomb from the blue line (Bouchard) works better as a 2nd unit with 2 D-man and 3 forwards.

I actual thin Broberg might be a better option to replace Barrie on the 1st unit if he gets his confidence built up to the level he has playing in the AHL
Old 07-27-2022, 07:36 AM

Quote:

Very valid point about Barrie on the PP, and their PP system in general. I totally agree that his ability to handle the puck and make precision passes is far more important than his shot from the point. You need a good point shot option - accurate #1, hard being a bonus, to make it a threat and open up the ice in the middle, but I've never been a fan of the "blast if from the blue line and look for a tip or rebound" type PP. (The ol' Klefbomb and hope.) The Oilers have WAY too much skill to run that kind of PP.

From what I've seen of Bouchard, I think he has the ability and hockey IQ to effectively replace Barrie. There will be some growing pains, and maybe some tweaks will be required, but he's an excellent passer, and the Bouch Bomb is a thing, as is his ability to just get pucks through.

I'm not anti-Barrie, not at all. He's very good at what he does, and he's a guy that most teams need at least one of. He was really good down the stretch and in the playoffs paired with Kulak, and I don't mind having him back. He just might be a luxury that they can't afford though.

P.S. - I read an article the other day that Gulutzan and co are already working on strategies/changes to counter the adjustments that teams have made to defend the Oilers PP. Should be interesting...
Old 07-27-2022, 08:29 AM

Barrie? He’s a luxury we simply cannot afford right now. I like him lots, but he’s blocking the progression of Bouchard, and we have Nurse for 2nd PP. If Broberg develops into an option then fine, but slow playing Bouchard is just not a good thing anymore. He’s a cerebral player with a heavy heavy shot, but he can walk the blue line, and he has the ability to disguise/fake shots and then quickly get them through traffic. He was correctly slow-played in the AHL and NHL, not rushed, but he’s arrived. You cannot hinder him any longer.

Foegele will likely only require one draft choice as a sweetener, or prospect, not two like Kassian did.

Why in hell you would keep Foegele at 2.75m vs PoolParty at 3m is beyond me. The kid has a really shtty agent who has given bad advice. His upside is much higher than Foegele, and he brings different things to the party, including immaturity though.
Old 07-27-2022, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sns2 View Post
Barrie? He’s a luxury we simply cannot afford right now. I like him lots, but he’s blocking the progression of Bouchard, and we have Nurse for 2nd PP. If Broberg develops into an option then fine, but slow playing Bouchard is just not a good thing anymore. He’s a cerebral player with a heavy heavy shot, but he can walk the blue line, and he has the ability to disguise/fake shots and then quickly get them through traffic. He was correctly slow-played in the AHL and NHL, not rushed, but he’s arrived. You cannot hinder him any longer.

Foegele will likely only require one draft choice as a sweetener, or prospect, not two like Kassian did.

Why in hell you would keep Foegele at 2.75m vs PoolParty at 3m is beyond me. The kid has a really shtty agent who has given bad advice. His upside is much higher than Foegele, and he brings different things to the party, including immaturity though.
Interesting Nurse shows up on the top 10 overpaid players list.

NHL’s 10 worst contracts, 2022 edition: Tyler Seguin, Seth Jones and others

https://theathletic.com/3435602/2022...ontracts-2022/
Old 07-27-2022, 11:55 AM

Quote:

Nurse is definitely over paid a bit seems like. We will never know how far they would have gone in the playoffs had he not been injured though. He’s a force when fully healthy and in the zone. Even then still overpaid by a few million in my opinion. Can’t win them all. The longer deals for Drai and Mcdavid sure are looking good for value right now.

Always risky when you have to try to predict the future. Hard to know exactly what a player will be playing like in a few years and not many GMs and agents could have predicted a flat salary cap last couple years and the free agency period and signings reflects that as well. If I remember right when they signed Nurse they mentioned there was a plan for the salary cap to increase.

I mean he’s still good value compared to Lucic
Old 07-27-2022, 12:27 PM

Quote:

Found it interesting that the vast majority of players, on that list and the 10 best contracts, are defensemen and there were no goalies.
Old 07-27-2022, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walleyedude View Post
Very valid point about Barrie on the PP, and their PP system in general. I totally agree that his ability to handle the puck and make precision passes is far more important than his shot from the point. You need a good point shot option - accurate #1, hard being a bonus, to make it a threat and open up the ice in the middle, but I've never been a fan of the "blast if from the blue line and look for a tip or rebound" type PP. (The ol' Klefbomb and hope.) The Oilers have WAY too much skill to run that kind of PP.

From what I've seen of Bouchard, I think he has the ability and hockey IQ to effectively replace Barrie. There will be some growing pains, and maybe some tweaks will be required, but he's an excellent passer, and the Bouch Bomb is a thing, as is his ability to just get pucks through.

I'm not anti-Barrie, not at all. He's very good at what he does, and he's a guy that most teams need at least one of. He was really good down the stretch and in the playoffs paired with Kulak, and I don't mind having him back. He just might be a luxury that they can't afford though.

P.S. - I read an article the other day that Gulutzan and co are already working on strategies/changes to counter the adjustments that teams have made to defend the Oilers PP. Should be interesting...

Gulutzan also mentioned that they arent trying to set up the Dman to score on the PP. Rather, they want the Dman to get the puck into the hands of Draisaitl and McD so they can work their magic.

Does Barry do this better than Bouchard? 100%. At this point Bouchard is a bomb from the point and he's good at getting shots to the net. He doesn't walk the line and distribute the puck anywhere near Barry at this point. He'll learn.
Old 07-27-2022, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Gulutzan also mentioned that they arent trying to set up the Dman to score on the PP. Rather, they want the Dman to get the puck into the hands of Draisaitl and McD so they can work their magic.

Does Barry do this better than Bouchard? 100%. At this point Bouchard is a bomb from the point and he's good at getting shots to the net. He doesn't walk the line and distribute the puck anywhere near Barry at this point. He'll learn.
Barrie is very good offensively. I often wonder how he would look as a winger to Mcdavid lol. They do have chemistry and the switch worked for byfegulian lol
Old 07-27-2022, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Nurse is definitely over paid a bit seems like. We will never know how far they would have gone in the playoffs had he not been injured though. He’s a force when fully healthy and in the zone. Even then still overpaid by a few million in my opinion. Can’t win them all. The longer deals for Drai and Mcdavid sure are looking good for value right now.

Always risky when you have to try to predict the future. Hard to know exactly what a player will be playing like in a few years and not many GMs and agents could have predicted a flat salary cap last couple years and the free agency period and signings reflects that as well. If I remember right when they signed Nurse they mentioned there was a plan for the salary cap to increase.

I mean he’s still good value compared to Lucic
Lucic.

Another epic contract failure in Edmonton. They still pay 12.5% of his salary. That said I see him working hard. His age has caught up to him. I don’t see him slacking.

James Neal contract was also a failure for Calgary.

I think fans would prefer to see players get an equal base salary and then get a share of bonus money for performance metrics TBD.

Then players can’t sign amazing deals and then never live up to expectations.

Pay for performance.

Last edited by Sundancefisher; 07-27-2022 at 06:24 PM.