Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 09-06-2022, 10:32 PM
Banned

Default Decoying Black Bears

I wad thinking about heading south of town Bear hunting on Friday and wanted to use a Fawn Decoy. Am I wasting my time with this approach or will this be right up there alley for fall feeding? I'm of the impression this will be a Gold mine approach if there is Beara in the immediate area. Will pair the decoy with a Fawn in Distress call
Old 09-07-2022, 04:42 AM

Black bear hit fawns in the spring more so when the are easier targets. If I was going to attempt decoying black bear that would be when. I have called many bears but have never decoyed them though. Honestly I don’t know if it’s worth it as they are not a visual predator like a cat but use their nose to find food more so

Bears are lazy and will focus on high calorie easy food

Personally I would target berries and as things progress rose hips theses are two major early fall foods bears seek.

You could always try your theory but in my opinion the call alone is probably enough if you spark a bears interest
Old 09-07-2022, 05:13 AM

Have you ever tried a honey burn?
"Placed correctly Swift A-Frames will reliably kill big bears. So will North Forks, Nosler Partitions, Barnes TSX, Kodiaks, Woodleighs, GS soft points, Hornady Interbonds and Speer Grand Slams - and if I missed your favorite bullet -it probably will too.
It's time to go hunting and quit all this ballistic masturbation."

Phil Shoemaker
Old 09-07-2022, 05:49 AM

Wrong time of year, berry patches and grain fields are the go to places.

Grizz

Isaiah 5:8
Old 09-07-2022, 06:30 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

You distress call will bring them in if not already occupied in a good meal, the decoy will get their attention once they are coming in allowing you to make the shot undetected if close.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 09-07-2022, 10:13 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demonical View Post
Have you ever tried a honey burn?
I might try this again. I tried a few times in other areas and had no success, but I feel like the setup was wrong. Where I am going Friday, as long as it's a proper wind, will be much better.
Old 09-07-2022, 10:14 AM

Berry's are done, Rose Hips kick in just before Hibernation, right now, find an Oat or Barely field close to a stream or large water body, or old growth pine, you will find bear and lots of them. Likely private land so you don't even need a tag and it is up to you if you keep the meat and/or the hide.
Old 09-07-2022, 10:19 AM

I've had a few bears come to a cow moose call. Most of the time they were running to the call.

BW
Old 09-07-2022, 11:01 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
Berry's are done, Rose Hips kick in just before Hibernation, right now, find an Oat or Barely field close to a stream or large water body, or old growth pine, you will find bear and lots of them. Likely private land so you don't even need a tag and it is up to you if you keep the meat and/or the hide.
We have no fields like that near Fort Mac. I go south of town between 45-60 minutes. Alot of soft marshy land with dry pine land scattered in between. I'll probably try the Honey burn again for a couple hours.
Old 09-07-2022, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FortMac View Post
We have no fields like that near Fort Mac. I go south of town between 45-60 minutes. Alot of soft marshy land with dry pine land scattered in between. I'll probably try the Honey burn again for a couple hours.
Wandering River is a couple of hours south of you on pavement. My suggestion is to drive the extra hour rather than spend time on a lower percentage attempt to attract a bear. That or actually set up bait if you can in your area. Fall spot and stalk or calling is a much lower percentage game.
Old 09-07-2022, 11:20 AM
Banned

Quote:
Wandering River is a couple of hours south of you on pavement. My suggestion is to drive the extra hour rather than spend time on a lower percentage attempt to attract a bear. That or actually set up bait if you can in your area. Fall spot and stalk or calling is a much lower percentage game.
There's Oats and Barley fields near wandering River? I know it's all pretty much private land so I never went off the highway in the area to explore, as I deer hunt near Calgary. Thanks for the Info

Edit : I just called a lease holder, said tons of bears in the Oats right now so to come down and talk to the landowners and I shouldn't have a problem. Thanks again for the Info

Last edited by FortMac; 09-07-2022 at 11:28 AM.
Old 09-07-2022, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FortMac View Post
There's Oats and Barley fields near wandering River? I know it's all pretty much private land so I never went off the highway in the area to explore, as I deer hunt near Calgary. Thanks for the Info

Edit : I just called a lease holder, said tons of bears in the Oats right now so to come down and talk to the landowners and I shouldn't have a problem. Thanks again for the Info
Glad to help. Post some pictures of your Oat fed bear. The grain fed ones are far better eating anyhow, if you are into them as food. Hides are also really nice after they have been into the Oats a couple of weeks. Farmers will loves you, you can't imagine, until you see it, what a mess Bears can make of an Oat field. They actual lay and roll on it and eat the heads off laying down. They can flatten a whole quarter in a few days.
Old 09-07-2022, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Just got in the door from some morning scouting and there is still berries around here. Rose hips should start getting hit in late September here. The classic red turds full of seeds are a dead give away. Our hunting areas might be a little different for timing just giving what I see presently and I am out all the time

Even seen a runt of a black bear this morning but if I shot him I could have packed him out in my pocket lol
Old 09-07-2022, 11:58 AM

Sounds like Dean’s Oat advice maybe the ticket. Never hunted bears in ag so never experienced hunting them in oats but should be good eating bears

Good luck
Old 09-07-2022, 12:51 PM

A bears weakest sense is their sight.
You wil do enter attracting their attention with smell and sound.
Old 09-07-2022, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Battle Rat View Post
A bears weakest sense is their sight.
You wil do enter attracting their attention with smell and sound.
You are exactly correct that Bears lead with smell, next is hearing but many drastically under estimate a Bear's eye sight. They can actually see as well or better than the average human. The reason a lot of folks think bears have poor eyesight is they often do not react to people sneaking up on them. It isn't that they don't see you, it is just they do not perceive it as a threat or they are prepared to defend their food. Camo does not much affect them seeing you either. My advice is, don't count on poor eyesight when hunting them.

Did a little Googling and found this article that matches my experience with Black Bears pretty well.

https://www.adfg.alaska.gov/index.cf...rticles_id=135