Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 09-09-2022, 06:42 PM

Default Wmu 350

Hey all got a tag in 350 WMU for antlered mule I also have bear tag too. I’ve never been that far up. I’m in Cochrane, can anyone tell me about the area or what the best place is to enter the crown land I was looking like Swan hills area but if anyone can direct me to a better less used part then I’d appreciate that.

I’m just trying to gather as much info about the place as I can before wasting precious petrol and only 2 days of hunting i have, driving all that way to end up chasing my tail around. I’m not new to hunting but new to hunting in Canada with these WMU. In England where I’m from every piece of land is private and I use to pay for over half my permission I had, but could hunt night and day.

Anyway thanks for any help.
Old 09-09-2022, 06:58 PM

Sorry for the fore coming roast 🤐
My thoughts would be google AO forum zone 350, get ihunter and find all the crown land. Review the satellite maps for clearings and river hills.
Your little cry for help due to time, location and funds is not touching to me.
I have hunted many zones just by studying some and getting in my truck and going for it!!!!
WDF
Old 09-09-2022, 07:02 PM
Banned

It will be a tough go if you have only two days to hunt
Pretty thick bush
Best bet is to look on google and find roads with some cut blocks or clearings on them. Try your luck on some pipelines maybe also
Old 09-09-2022, 07:10 PM

I would look at the area toward Timeau, NW of the Fort, as close to the 350-507 border as you can, and in the crown land of course.

Google or even better, Fatmap.

Second thoughts: if you know where Topland country is, west of the Fort, find the forestry road that runs from there up to the NW, it will bring you out up to hwy 32, near Judy Creek Fieldgate( now called the Judy Creek Prod Complex).
The country up through there used to have some big mulies.

BUT... my info is not current.
"Placed correctly Swift A-Frames will reliably kill big bears. So will North Forks, Nosler Partitions, Barnes TSX, Kodiaks, Woodleighs, GS soft points, Hornady Interbonds and Speer Grand Slams - and if I missed your favorite bullet -it probably will too.
It's time to go hunting and quit all this ballistic masturbation."

Phil Shoemaker

Last edited by Demonical; 09-09-2022 at 07:31 PM.
Old 09-09-2022, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Who Da Fisherman View Post
Sorry for the fore coming roast 🤐
My thoughts would be google AO forum zone 350, get ihunter and find all the crown land. Review the satellite maps for clearings and river hills.
Your little cry for help due to time, location and funds is not touching to me.
I have hunted many zones just by studying some and getting in my truck and going for it!!!!
WDF
😂😂😂 cry for help. I have I hunter, I have looked at maps, I have searched the forum on very old posts regarding 350. Only asking for some info jeeeeeez.
Old 09-09-2022, 07:40 PM

Thanks demonical I will look at that right now. Cheers man.
Old 09-09-2022, 08:21 PM

I’ve never hunted that particular zone but some close by, you’ll probably see more whitetail than mule and bears should be around. Any mulies would likely be around what private farmland that there is, that and river valleys.
Old 09-09-2022, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo21 View Post
Hey all got a tag in 350 WMU for antlered mule I also have bear tag too. I’ve never been that far up. I’m in Cochrane, can anyone tell me about the area or what the best place is to enter the crown land I was looking like Swan hills area but if anyone can direct me to a better less used part then I’d appreciate that.

I’m just trying to gather as much info about the place as I can before wasting precious petrol and only 2 days of hunting i have, driving all that way to end up chasing my tail around. I’m not new to hunting but new to hunting in Canada with these WMU. In England where I’m from every piece of land is private and I use to pay for over half my permission I had, but could hunt night and day.

Anyway thanks for any help.

Not trying to be a smart a*& but if you dont know the wmu or even where to start in a wmu why did you apply for a draw there?? Its beyond me why guys ( not saying this is you) apply for a draw in an area far from home that they have never been to and 1 week before season opener all of a sudden they are asking for help for where to start.... I dont get it....
As for your request...two days is not alot of time to both scout out a spot and put in a hunt...take whatever intel you can get and use it... my thoughts are you maybe shoulda started looking in June and July...if you cant afford to scout it why did you put in for it???
Old 09-09-2022, 08:38 PM

Take the gravel road that goes directly south from highway 88. Right near Slave Lake. Head south towards Sawrigde hill and south beyond that towards flat top tower and down to the old airfield. Lots of bear, a few mulies. Fair amount of old cut blocks. There are NO farm fields in that wmu. There is a crap ton of country to explore. If you drive off the main road make damn sure you have a winch or good recovery gear. A quad is a lot better idea than trying to explore by truck. Very pretty country and the hotels and restaurants in Slave are very good.

Last edited by Dean2; 09-09-2022 at 08:48 PM.
Old 09-09-2022, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
Take the gravel road that goes directly south from highway 88. Right near Slave Lake. Head south towards Sawrigde hill and south beyond that towards flat top tower and down to the old airfield. Lots of bear, a few mulies. Fair amount of old cut blocks. There are NO farm fields in that wmu. There is a crap ton of country to explore. If you drive off the main road make damn sure you have a winch or good recovery gear. A quad is a lot better idea than trying to explore by truck. Very pretty country and the hotels and restaurants in Slave are very good.
Sweet thanks Dean, sounds like that will be great useable info man.
Old 09-09-2022, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by obsessed1 View Post
Not trying to be a smart a*& but if you dont know the wmu or even where to start in a wmu why did you apply for a draw there?? Its beyond me why guys ( not saying this is you) apply for a draw in an area far from home that they have never been to and 1 week before season opener all of a sudden they are asking for help for where to start.... I dont get it....
As for your request...two days is not alot of time to both scout out a spot and put in a hunt...take whatever intel you can get and use it... my thoughts are you maybe shoulda started looking in June and July...if you cant afford to scout it why did you put in for it???
Hey obsessed1 thanks pal. And I never said I couldn’t afford to go there or scout, the “precious petrol” comment was tongue in cheek at how the cost of it has hiked up (wow). It’s crazy how when people go for a new truck they ask for recommendations or a mortgage or a place to eat, but I ask about a WMU and jeez. Who says I’ve just started looking. I’m always prepared to try new places and areas just asking for a little advice that’s all. And what would you have people do never hunt places they hadn’t already been? Guess I should just stay home then.
Old 09-09-2022, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Hey obsessed1 thanks pal. And I never said I couldn’t afford to go there or scout, the “precious petrol” comment was tongue in cheek at how the cost of it has hiked up (wow). It’s crazy how when people go for a new truck they ask for recommendations or a mortgage or a place to eat, but I ask about a WMU and jeez. Who says I’ve just started looking. I’m always prepared to try new places and areas just as³king for a little advice that’s all. And what would you have people do never hunt places they hadn’t already been? Guess I should just stay home then.
Don't take ob1's comments the wrong way. There is a long history on AO of new or low post guys asking for detailed info on hunting spots. Sort of Google your hunting spot. Guys are happy to provide their experience on trucks, scopes binoculars etc but get really peeved when guys ask where to hunt because they can't be bothered doing there own scouting, burning boot leather and investing the effort. Telling guys to hit up Safeway if they are too lazy to actually hunt is my common response.

I provided you a road that is at least a 100 kilometers long and 10s of thousands of acres to explore. Giving a guy a starting place is very different than sit on the corner of these two cutlines, but a lot of guys don't quite see it the same as I do. Try not to take it wrong and try to give back for the info you do get.
Old 09-09-2022, 10:03 PM

The area Demonical mentions (507/350) has had good numbers of bears the last few years. As for mulies, hit and miss. Still worth checking out the area. Good luck!
Old 09-09-2022, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Hey obsessed1 thanks pal. And I never said I couldn’t afford to go there or scout, the “precious petrol” comment was tongue in cheek at how the cost of it has hiked up (wow). It’s crazy how when people go for a new truck they ask for recommendations or a mortgage or a place to eat, but I ask about a WMU and jeez. Who says I’ve just started looking. I’m always prepared to try new places and areas just asking for a little advice that’s all. And what would you have people do never hunt places they hadn’t already been? Guess I should just stay home then.
Hey bud no offence ment....your not the first guy to ask about a wmu 1 week before hunting season that makes it out like you have no idea where to start in the wmu and blame it on the cost of fuel or time.....trying out new places is part of the fun but if I put in for a draw in a new far away wmu I would dang certain have a plan and an idea of where in the wmu I plan to go and why before I even apply for the draw...sorry if I offended you by my comments, if you look at my history I'm actually quite helpful in passing on hard earned skills and such but draw the line where guys ask for gimmes...not that I'm saying you are it just came across as you only have limited time and dont want to or cant spend the time or money to make your own chances.
Old 09-09-2022, 10:51 PM

I am losing a lot of respect for people that just yap about stuff.
If I knew anything about 350 other than theres bears everywhere I would help out.

Lets help each other. Outdoorsmen helping outdoorsmen.

Seems easier to just skip the post than to complain about someone wanting help filling a tag.

Not looking for 400” elk in 108 here.

I love you all equally but man we gotta stop beating people up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-10-2022, 09:28 AM

I have helped hunters in past then find out they are really looking for sweet spots in the zone and not willing to spend time, boot leather and gas.
Old 09-10-2022, 09:40 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by reddeerhunter View Post
I am losing a lot of respect for people that just yap about stuff.
If I knew anything about 350 other than theres bears everywhere I would help out.

Lets help each other. Outdoorsmen helping outdoorsmen.

Seems easier to just skip the post than to complain about someone wanting help filling a tag.

Not looking for 400” elk in 108 here.

I love you all equally but man we gotta stop beating people up.

If you don’t know anything about 350 then why are you getting bent out of shape
It’s a really poor zone to draw a mule deer buck tag
The zone is all bush and Your only hope of a harvest is to randomly bump into one. If you have two days to hunt, better bring your lucky rabbits foot
Your going to need it
This is the honest truth
So without disclosing a specific honey hole that guys have had repeated success at. The best info that can be given for this zone has been shared
Old 09-10-2022, 10:46 AM
Banned

Default 350

There’s some farmland south of Kinuso, east side of Hwy 33. You can try your luck knocking on doors. Look up a landowner map on County of Big Lakes. Might get permission to hunt. Lots of oilfield roads and leases throughout the area too. Watch your butt. Lot of Grizzly throughout the area.
Old 09-10-2022, 10:52 AM

Exclamation Since nobody else mentioned it

I'm not familiar with WMU 350 other than to mention the "Wild Game Public Health Advisory" that has been in place since 1996 for the area around the Swan Hills Treatment Center. Check page 62 of the 2022 Alberta Hunting Regulations for details.
Dean2's suggestion is well outside of the area of concern.

Quote:
The wild game public health advisory for the Swan Hills area –
originally issued on December 13, 1996, by the Provincial Health
Officer – has been revised as a result of more extensive wild game
testing. While recent test results confirm that eating wild game from
the Swan Hills area poses no immediate threat to human health, it is
recommended that individuals limit the amount of wild game eaten
If you are not familiar with it, the Swan Hills Treatment facility is a hazardous waste treatment/disposal facility that is not 100% effective at containing the hazardous waste as it is destroyed.

“We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did.”- Thomas Sowell
Old 09-10-2022, 02:00 PM

Another entrance into 350 is South Mitsue, east of Slave Lake about 18 kms, just west of the entrance into the mills. The turn is to the south, head up the road a bit and then you arrive at a series of intersections. Bob's your uncle after that. Full disclosure, I haven't been down there for 20 years-I hope the directions are close enough.
Old 09-10-2022, 02:04 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost Arrow View Post
Another entrance into 350 is South Mitsue, east of Slave Lake about 18 kms, just west of the entrance into the mills. The turn is to the south, head up the road a bit and then you arrive at a series of intersections. Bob's your uncle after that. Full disclosure, I haven't been down there for 20 years-I hope the directions are close enough.
Pretty sure that’s the area Bella twin shot that grizzly
Old 09-10-2022, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marky_mark View Post
If you don’t know anything about 350 then why are you getting bent out of shape
It’s a really poor zone to draw a mule deer buck tag
The zone is all bush and Your only hope of a harvest is to randomly bump into one. If you have two days to hunt, better bring your lucky rabbits foot
Your going to need it
This is the honest truth
So without disclosing a specific honey hole that guys have had repeated success at. The best info that can be given for this zone has been shared

Not bent outta shape. Just guys like you wanna cut down guys looking for help. I think negative remarks can be saved to no remarks and move on.
But please feel free to tell him its wrong to ask in your 12,056th post.

Old 09-10-2022, 09:16 PM

I just want to chip in my 2 bits here regarding obsessed1. He truly is a very helpful guy, I know this personally (he actually shot me a message just a day ago asking if I wanted some help getting after some elk, since I was up in his area anyway, and he was great helping me set up my new rifle out to 500). I know him, so I can say honestly he really is a class act, knows his stuff, and if he came across the wrong way to you in his first post, what he said in his second post was true.

I'm happy to call him a friend, so please accept the olive branch he extended.

As was said, we need to be more about helping and less about smacking each other down.

Asking for some general info is not a Cardinal Sin guys, the OP didn't ask for GPS coordinates to your honey hole. Cut a guy a little slack, please?

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 09-10-2022, 09:25 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by reddeerhunter View Post
Not bent outta shape. Just guys like you wanna cut down guys looking for help. I think negative remarks can be saved to no remarks and move on.
But please feel free to tell him its wrong to ask in your 12,056th post.

Not sure how I cut him down
It’s a hard hunt
Mule deer in a zone like this is an animal of opportunity
You can’t go and scout much of the area
And if you find one in the bush, it’s very likely you won’t see them again
But it is what it is, and you can’t kill one from your couch
Old 09-10-2022, 11:13 PM

PM me