Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 10-29-2022, 08:21 PM

Default 45-70 long range target loading

So I loaded up 20 rounds to test in my new Chiappa 1874 Sharps replica. Bear with me if you’re a purest old timer who thinks cast lead and black powder are the only things to shoot from these rifles. I’m trying out the Campro 350gr FCP Spitzer bullets with IMR4198 smokeless powder.

So I found the lands on the rifle with the Hornady tool. I will be setting the bullet back .010” from the lands (jump). The CBTO measures at 2.191” for this bullet with that jump.

So here we go…Winchester brass. Which has terrible packaging. Thus…..dented bodies and necks.

So I ran the cases through the full length die and then the neck flaring die to fix things.

I did adjust the neck flaring die so that there was just enough diameter to get the bullet in the case. Which is a lot less then loading for a lever action.

Next is priming the cases. Is there really any other way to prime, then on the press?

Now time to charge the cases. I’ve chosen 38.0gr to start. A pretty light weight…so as to not have any surprises. (And yes, I will have the chrony out to check the speeds.)

Next is seating the bullets. Taking care to get the CBTO correct. Then I check it in the rifle’s chamber and the ammo checker.

And finally, the finished rounds. (No crimp with these.)

And so, round one of testing goes tomorrow. I hope to get a feel for the new rifle, but mostly just to test the load I chose. I also want to see how well the sights are on. And maybe lastly, check the accuracy. But with only 20 rounds rolled, that will probably come a little later in this process.

And this is what all this effort is for…Chiappa 1874 Quigley Down Under 45-70 replica with the 34” 1:18” twist octagonal barrel.

Last edited by 6MT; 10-29-2022 at 08:28 PM.
Old 10-30-2022, 08:13 AM

Interested to hear how it goes. I'm guessing one of the next purchases will be a tang sight.