Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 12-24-2022, 05:42 AM

Default Brisket help

Hey Guys,

I need help with a brisket in cooking. My Treager hopped stopped feeding pellets last night and my brisket cooled off from 145 to 85. Smoker is back up and running just not sure if it’s a loss
Old 12-24-2022, 05:55 AM

Looks like it was off the heat for less than 2 hours, I'd continue but use the texas crutch with a little liquid at the end to keep it moist as it may have dried out a little bit.
Old 12-24-2022, 06:17 AM

You'll be fine. Lunch may be a bit late is all.
Wrap in butcher paper at 145 instead of 155 if you want to speed it along.
That will also help it stay a little more moist.
Old 12-24-2022, 06:31 AM

Default Cooking

Cooking is an art, not a science.
Old 12-24-2022, 08:38 AM

Almost impossible to ruin a brisket... unless you cook too quick. Enjoy the extra couple of hours/beer.

I am never in a hurry to finish a brisket, as low and slow as I can. so I would just slowly get it back up to temp and carry on.

Good luck and enjoy!

DR
Old 12-24-2022, 08:38 AM

Thanks guys. Nice to have some reassurance
Old 12-24-2022, 09:41 AM
AO Sponsor

I had the same thing happen once where a smoker crapped out mid cook and did not catch it for a couple hours. It was stressful as heck with buddies all coming over and no time to redo a new brisket and in the end everyone was still happy. I won’t say it was perfect, but still a good 90 percent of what I would call amazing. All in all, the boys enjoyed it even though I was crying in my beer…
Bay #6, 1303 44th ave NE
Calgary AB, T2E6L5
bobbybirds@icloud.com
www.urbanexp.ca

Leviticus 23: 4-18: "he that scopeth a lever, or thou allow a scope to lie with a lever as it would lie with a bolt action, shall have created an abomination and shall perish in the fires of Hell forever and ever.....plus GST" - huntinstuff April 07/23
Old 12-24-2022, 01:11 PM

A friend of mine in Texas who is a very good BBQ’er starts his briskets on mesquite to get some smoke on them and finishes cooking the brisket in the oven. I’ve ate at a lot of bbq joints and Mark’s is as good as any.

Gerry Burnie
Old 12-24-2022, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tirebob View Post
I had the same thing happen once where a smoker crapped out mid cook and did not catch it for a couple hours. It was stressful as heck with buddies all coming over and no time to redo a new brisket and in the end everyone was still happy. I won’t say it was perfect, but still a good 90 percent of what I would call amazing. All in all, the boys enjoyed it even though I was crying in my beer…
We just had a bit more time for wine and whisky, and the brisket was just dandy!

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 12-24-2022, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCC View Post
A friend of mine in Texas who is a very good BBQ’er starts his briskets on mesquite to get some smoke on them and finishes cooking the brisket in the oven. I’ve ate at a lot of bbq joints and Mark’s is as good as any.
That’s how I do mine. Hit it with smoke for 4-5 hours or so and finish in the oven wrapped in foil. Keeps it nice and moist. Usually take it off the smoke and wrap when internal temp reaches 155-160. Then finish in oven to 195-205 depending on the brisket. Wrap in a towel and let rest for a minimum of an hour in my Yeti.

Have several friends with discerning tastes from 2 of the greatest BBQ states, Texas and Missouri. They all say they’d put my brisket up against what comes from their state which is pretty high praise as I’m always nitpicking my brisket. I have found it’s easier to keep a brisket from setting out if it is larger vs smaller.